Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Moving to Canada?

I've lived in both so you need to figure out what your reasons for moving are.

Setting up shop permanently elsewhere? Canada is the better choice, safer communities, friendlier people and more security.

Setting up shop permanently and looking to become rich? US is the better choice, more opportunities for those who are driven to make a lot of money. However, if you are studying to be an engineer or some other job where you'll be highly skilled but have someone else pay your salary Canada might be as good a choice.

Hate winter? US for obvious reasons. Canadians like to think some parts of the country are temperate, but it is all cold bull shit for five months a year.

If you want to keep tabs on the old world and speak your native language, then you need to find out which cities have the most Bulgarians. The danger in this is that you'll just do Bulgarian things, roll with Bulgarian people and speak whatever language it is you guys speak.

If you want to do trade between Bulgaria and your new country (due to your connection to both) the US is likely a better choice.

If you want to go to school there are factors to consider. The US has better top flight schools, but a good Canadian school is better than a mid-range US one.

Despite everything you've read North America is largely the same. Find out what you want to get out of this and then figure out which city serves you best, and you will find your answer.

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    Im a final year undergraduate in my country. And as im looking forward to the near future there seems to be no place for me here. If you stay here either you go crazy or dumb. The social envioroment is terrible, im looking to develop and gain new skills, something that wont happen here.

I was thinking about Canada. Its seems like a good place to live in. The economy is good. What are the pros and cons for living in Canada?
    What are you studying OP?

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i'm an east coaster, but right now i'm finishing up my studies in ottawa. a half credit left and i can't wait to get out. i'm planning to explore quite a bit of the country next summer.

what about you?
    What place do you study at? Im in my 3rd year at Ottawa university

Thanks ISH. I think i got the answers i was looking for.

Canada sounds like the perfect place for me. I like cold weather as odd as it may seems. Also i am looking for a more laid back society and life. Not permanently but i need to get away for a while maybe a year or two. The mentality of the people over here is driving me crazy. Everything is soaked up in corruption and misery.

We have a saying here if a bulgarian goes to hell there will be no need someone to guard him not to escape, because there would be other bulgarians pulling him back. Thats whats going on with immigrants. There are always people that will try to screw you up. Bulgarians society is not a factor when comes to making a decision.

Most likely i wont make any moves until the end of the year, but im gathering information. I will try to explore couple of more opportunities over before leaving. But simply i cant see a decent perspective here. Which is deeply sad because i love my language and culture but i hate contemporary Bulgarian mentality.

Im studying logistics aka supply chain management. The level of education at my university is terrible that why i ordered american textbook this morning.

Many thanks for the replies people. Any addition information is welcome.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    I graduated from Ottawa U.

Got like 5 negs just for saying "it's Canada." OP try moving to a place where people aren't so easily butthurt.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    i'm at carleton. what the ****s a geegee?

i dunno how many ottawa peeps there are, but if we found enough i'd be down to get together for a scrimmage. i haven't played ball in way too long and not knowing anybody else around here who plays is really taking its toll

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Didn't realize there was so many people living in Ottawa here hoping I finish up my school\GED and apply to Algonquin college next year.

High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    Thanks ISH.

Many thanks for the replies people. Any addition information is welcome.

Best regards.
    Before making any plans, u must realize that it is not that easy to come here in the first place. Most of the yearly 250000 new immigrants to Canada have either waited for many years for their application to be processed r are family class immigrants. I was talking with an immigration consultant (non gov) yesterday and she told me that it is now much harder to come here than 2-3 years ago.
    A Bulgarian friend of mine (Oxford PhD with a permanent job in Germany) was denied a visa to Canada to take a french language course. But this was 5 years ago. so ask around what is the best way for young Bulgarians to come to Canada. I know that some countries have something called Work & Travel visa program with Canada, where young people can come here for one year and has some kind of work permit.

and btw the real estates in Mississauga/Richmond Hill/ Markham are more expensive than those in Toronto.
    Last edited by moaz; 11-16-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Pros: Less fat people, better looking girls from my experiences with the states, very little crime, free healthcare, stronger beer (but costs twice as much).

Cons: Higher taxes, fast food is limited, cold winters (minnesota-like in most areas), higher gas prices, crappy television.
    I don't think that is accurate among all our jurisdictions.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

I'm going to throw the hat in for Vancouver.
    It is the top 5 cities in the world to live in. It may not have the night life of Montreal, or the corperate opportunity of Toronto, but it is the most diverse city in Canada. Lot's of ethnicity, great cuisine, a great cultural melting pot. It's the only city where you got an ocean, drive an hour and you can ski. Hot in the summer, with no mosquitoes, and moderate in the winter, which is a fair trade with a higher amount of rain.
    There is a growing community here. Population gets higher and higher. If you don't want to be to populated, there's Victoria, which was actually voted the best city in the world to live in. Like Van but even more chill. BC has pretty much everything for easy living

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Ugh, this is true. The CFL is an embarrassment to the sport of football. Nobody, under any circumstances, should have to watch this shit. I'd rather watch local HS football, I really would, because at least then I'm not expecting them to actually be professionals. God the CFL fu[COLOR=black]cking[/COLOR] sucks.
    I don't know, I don't really mind CFL. Went to a stamps game a few months ago and had fun. Sure it's not the NFL, but it's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by moaz
    and btw the real estates in Mississauga/Richmond Hill/ Markham are more expensive than those in Toronto.
    I'm not so sure about that. Knowing people who live in both Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, and Toronto, Toronto is still more expensive. You can get 2800 Sq. Ft. houses for about 400K in Markham and 3500 Sq. Ft. ones for 500k in Sauga, but some places in Toronto near 3000 Sq. Ft. will run you up to the millions.

It depends on the area specifically I think. I know on 16th and Warden there is that group of houses that's starting at 1.5 million and they're all about 4000 Sq. Ft. I believe, but generally, Toronto and North York have some crazy expensive areas.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    BC has pretty much everything for easy living
    Except the actual cost of it.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Except the actual cost of it.
    Deepends where. Metro Vancouver may be the most expensive city in Canada, but the suburbs are very reasonable and growing. I own a loft 2-bedroom condo in Surrey. 1250 square feet I purchased for 250,000. Surrey is the fastest growing city here in BC, and I think second to Calgary. They're even building the Largest outlet mall in Western North America here. Surrey and suburbs like it are pretty much and extension of metro Van, and minutes to DT