Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #17356
JohnnySic
green is good

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

This thread is 10 years old.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #17357
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Crazy stupid love (8/10). This was a pretty solid movie. Ending was pretty bad.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #17358
red1
GOAT franchise

Love crime movies (don't we all). Tony Soprano's final movie.

Tom Hardy is my favorite actor right now, bar none. Single-handedly salvaged venom and made it an enjoyable movie. A lot of his acting is subtle and subdued but always has presence. Perfect anti-hero or villain.

I like the fact that this movie was unpredictable, I can predict the plot for over 90% of movies after watching the first 15 minutes - this kept me guessing until the end.

Solid 7.5/10
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #17359
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Anyone watch Beautiful Boy (2018) yet with Steve Carrell? Saw a trailer of it on youtube. I know it's new. Seems like a good movie.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #17360
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Finally saw Scarface (1983) last night. Ok this movie is at best a 7.5/10 but easily gets bumped to a 8 due to the pop culture references (so many 90s rap music references I caught throughout the movie - "the world is yours" and "never got high on your own supply"). I have heard on "rewatch" some people find it a lot more enjoyable. I missed a good 5% while I left the room and didn't pause the movie.

Al Pacino was too animated at times IMO. His character was a bit unbelievable. It was predictable that Manny would eventually hook up with his sister though (it wasn't suspenseful at all). I also finally realized that the GTA Vice City end game mansion is based off of Tony Montana's home.

Having watched Godfather recently (again, seen it about 2 times before but was super bored a few weekends ago and decided to try to watch Godfather 1/2 again), it was really hard to take Al Pacino seriously tbh. Oh one movie I think he's really underrated in btw is "The Recruit" (2003). This movie does not get enough credit for being a solid movie during a pretty dark era in movie quality IMO (2002-2004 was full of some pretty crap movies).
Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #17361
kentatm
NBA Legend

Tomb Raider (2018) - C-

This is a very frustrating movie. They get some much right but totally screw enough up that the movie never rises above average. The acting is solid, after a silly start there is decent enough action, and everything looks well made.

The problem is the screenplay and the pointless junk that is crammed in or taken out for no good reason. It's clear this movie is somewhat based off the rebooted Tomb Raider game that came out in 2013. The movie is at it's best when it takes from that game. The shipwreck, the island, Laura being fairly green are all well done. Unfortunately the studio/screenwriter/director (always hard to know who is fully to blame) seemed to have little faith in that game's story, chopped it up, removed all elements of the supernatural, and then straight up stole the basic ending to Uncharted.

It opens with Laura strangely refusing to take her inheritance because she refuses to believe her father is dead. Instead of being loaded she is living as a squatter on some rooftop while earning money as a bike courier. This dumb as hell and makes no sense. If she is so sure her dad is alive wouldn't it make more sense to oh... I dunno, take that money and use it to search for him? They make a big deal out of how clever she is but this seems like about the dumbest course of action a person could take in her situation.

The opening "action sequence" of her racing her bike around as a "fox" to win a bet is stupid as ****. Like holy shit who came up with such an idiotic way to to show how great Laura is? Did they have excess footage from Premium Rush lying around or something? Since when does Laura roll around on a bike pulling of EXTREME TRICKS like she's a character out of Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX?

All of this needless junk that has never been in Tomb Raider takes something like 30 minutes to get through. Why anyone thought this was how you reboot an action franchise that should be essentially a modern take on Indiana Jones I have no idea. Anyway, when she finally decides to take the money she gets a puzzle box that she solves in all of 5 seconds after she picks it up. Considering the way the movie ends with the secret villain this again makes no sense. The bad guys don't really need Laura. They just need her dad's work. Are you really wanting me to believe none of them could solve the damn thing after 10 years?

Either way, this FINALLY gets her started on her adventure as she thinks she can find her father with the research he left her. Though she apparently never saw The Last Crusade I'm sure the people making this movie did b/c she brings along the very thing she was meant to hide.

So she goes to China, doesn't think to hire an interpreter and just goes to some docks to find a specific boat. How she thinks she can do this without knowing any Chinese is beyond me but through movie magic the one boat with it's name in English on the side happens to be what she is looking for.

Finally we are going to the island this game is based off of! So obviously her ship wrecks and she gets stranded on the island (this is where the game starts). People are looking for some shit and.... what the **** ever.... dudes want some mystical dead witch, Laura doesn't want to help but is forced to help, her dad is alive (why?) but then gets killed (lol) and blah blah blah blah the enemy is stopped.

The entire build up to a magical witch is a red herring and in a bullshit move that was likely meant to save money on special effects they lift the ending from Uncharted where the a body is carrying a ****ed up virus that drives you nuts.

Laura wins, her company is partly run by the bad guys, and oh, she only gets her trademark guns in a mid credits scene.

I really wanted to like this movie but it takes forever to get going and once it gets to where it needs to be instead of following a solid story that was already laid out they instead decided to rip off a game inspired by Tomb Raider in Uncharted.

I can see why it didn't do all that great. They give the middle finger to the built in video game fanbase by taking from other games, people who only know the Angelina Jolie movies will probably think it takes itself way too seriously, it takes too damn long to get going, and for as smart as they tell us Laura is she is kind of an idiot.

Sadly all this movie will do is keep up the perception that VGs cant make a great movie when in reality the problem is the fools that are making them.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #17362
coin24
7-time NBA All-Star

Finally watched venom, 8/10 really enjoyed it

The one liners were actually funny, decent story and good action scenes.
I remember when it came out critics were destroying it, then audience reviews came in hugely positive. Shows what those losers know as usual..
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #17363
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Safe House

Liked it much better than imdb's lowly rating (6.8) and I rarely disagree that much with below 7 rated movies
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #17364
Draz
The People's Choice

Creed 1 - 8.8/10
Spiderman Homecoming - 6.8/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #17365
highwhey
RENTFREE IN FBI'S HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Creed 1 - 8.8/10
Spiderman Homecoming - 6.8/10
just came back from the theater, watched creed 2, was a great follow up to creed 1.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #17366
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
just came back from the theater, watched creed 2, was a great follow up to creed 1.
I'm hearing Creed 1 was slightly better but I'm sure it was good.

That black man has genes. Dropped to the floor once I seen that body and did 10 push-ups I'm still struggling to recover from 4 days ago with diareah cus I strained some shit
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #17367
highwhey
RENTFREE IN FBI'S HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I'm hearing Creed 1 was slightly better but I'm sure it was good.

That black man has genes. Dropped to the floor once I seen that body and did 10 push-ups I'm still struggling to recover from 4 days ago with diareah cus I strained some shit
this nikka and his bowel movements
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #17368
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

I still have moviepass even though it's a mess now, I still get to see what I wanna see.

Overlord - Always enemy Nazis. Good fun movie, I recommend a watch 7.5/10

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Not as good as the first, but there's a disney princess scene which is pretty good 7/10

Creed 2 - I'm not a critic buff so I liked it. Plenty of scenes that get me hyped, and plenty of emotional moments (no I didn't cry lol) 8/10

Widows - Decent movie. I'm sure the usual women hating crowd on here will have no interest. I admit that ghostbusters and oceans 8 of all women cast was underwhelming but not to the point it upset me. I liked this movie 7.5/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - Loved it. Dunno why it's barely 60 on rottentomatoes. I love Queen's music. I used to work at a place where they played Queen music all the time, before I had much knowledge on them. And of course Freddy Mercury is a musical legend. You gotta see it 9/10

Green Book - Another great movie. I love me Aragorn and Mahersha. Well acted and plenty of scenes that get you angry and some that hit you in the feels. LOVED IT 9/10
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #17369
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Crazy Rich Asians- 5/10
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #17370
Patrick Chewing
Save us Zion....or KD!

The Equalizer 2 - 6/10
Very slow moving plot and the final scenes were so ridiculous it made this movie rather unlikable in the end. Definitely a let down from the first one.

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 5/10
While the action sequences are top notch, the story suffers immensely and the acting is deplorable. You can tell Cruise is on the decline.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: