Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Thumbs up Just finished watching the Avatar

And it was EPIC!!!

One of the best 'shows' I've ever seen, it was far more than just a cartoon imo.

Any other fans?

And my fav character is Toph

andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
macmac
Gov'n

Default Re: Just finished watching the Avatar

Avatar was a great overall experience. Just when u think modern day cartoons/animation has gone down the *****ter, something like this comes along...

Im a 24 yr old male and i was watching back to back episodes with the glee of a japanese school girl, to Avatar
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Avatar was a great overall experience. Just when u think modern day cartoons/animation has gone down the *****ter, something like this comes along...

Im a 24 yr old male and i was watching back to back episodes with the glee of a japanese school girl, to Avatar

Hah... I'm in my early 30s and I was addicted to it. I started watching it Sunday and got addicted to it. I had to pull myself away from watching it all in one day.

Hell... my girlfriend was saying I was paying more attention to Avatar than her.

I was extremely surprised at the quality of this show, easily superior than 98% of broadcast tv today.

The writing alone>>>>> most

Pure dopeness!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Hah... I'm in my early 30s and I was addicted to it. I started watching it Sunday and got addicted to it. I had to pull myself away from watching it all in one day.

Hell... my girlfriend was saying I was paying more attention to Avatar than her.

I was extremely surprised at the quality of this show, easily superior than 98% of broadcast tv today.

The writing alone>>>>> most

Pure dopeness!!!

I concur. Avatar was a well constructed cartoon that had a great story and memorable characters. Let's hope the movie can live up to at least some of the greatness of the cartoon series.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I concur. Avatar was a well constructed cartoon that had a great story and memorable characters. Let's hope the movie can live up to at least some of the greatness of the cartoon series.
I really doubt it, an epic of that magnitude can't be told in a 2.5 hour movie. And the decision to go with a white cast is a joke.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
HighFlyer23
National High School Star

last episode kinda sucked ..
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
teleport
G-Men 3-0

I hate to say it but I've never seen an episode of this show. Is it really that good, I mean a couple of my friends said it was really good and as I see it probably is. What's it about?
teleport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
sergiorodriguez

is it as good as naruto used to be like when naruto fought sasuke and haku and zabuza? I used to love that cartoon, as well as batman the animated series is it as good as that? If so i might need to check it out
Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleport
I hate to say it but I've never seen an episode of this show. Is it really that good, I mean a couple of my friends said it was really good and as I see it probably is. What's it about?

Its dope!

I'm not into cartoons or anime, so I had my doubts. But its very good.

Its about a boy that's chosen to save the world, and every episode is a journey to master various natural elements (earth, wind, water, fire). Along the way he's encountered with many adventures. But along the way, there's strong character development and we get to see the characters grow as they face different adversities.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
teleport
G-Men 3-0

Quote:
Its dope!

Its about a boy that's chosen to save the world, and every episode is a journey to master various natural elements (earth, wind, water, fire). Along the way he's encountered with many adventures. But along the way, there's strong character development and we get to see the characters grow as they face different adversities.
hmm sounds appealing, I'll check it out one of these days thanks for the heads up
teleport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Its dope!

Yeah and the writing is great. Sometimes the episodes tend to get a bit formulaic like alot of kid shows (pokemon, power rangers, etc.) as in traveling to a new place, meeting new friends, fight the same guys...but then all of a sudden it takes a completely different direction and keeps it fresh with some great ideas and developments...
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
JustinJDW

My little brother and sister love the show. I don't watch it though.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
rezznor
Nosetradamus

It's a great show
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I really doubt it, an epic of that magnitude can't be told in a 2.5 hour movie. And the decision to go with a white cast is a joke.

1. how so?
2. i think most of the cast is asian.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
1. how so?
2. i think most of the cast is asian.

Because.... what made this show wasn't the plot.

The plot isn't any different than most martial arts flicks. Somebody's the chosen one, so he has to go through different training in order to master them all and face the ultimate evil dude at the end.

What makes this a great show, is the characters and the character development. Every episode is a lesson for every character, we get to see a little bit of every character little by little. And that can't be told properly or as effectively in a 2.5 hour movie.

Sure... they can give us some character exposition for most of the main characters in flashbacks, but its not the same thing. Its like cooking..... sure you can cook a meal faster if you turn up the heat to 400 degrees, but its not enough time for all the spices and ingredients to simmer properly, so while it may be cooked, it won't have any flavor.

Instead you need to cook it at 250 and slowly, so all the flavors can marinate and stir so they mix properly.

That's the same thing with this type of story.

The other characters are as important as the Avatar, and their journey needs to be told as well. You can't just do a 10 minute exposition on them and move on for more plot. The plot is the less important than the characters.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: