Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 13

NBA Superstar

Default Re: NBA Live 13

I'm definitely intrigued about the re-invention of NBA Live. The previous iterations had really lost touch with what I was interested in seeing in a basketball simulation. With that said, I'm not sure I'm convinced the first year of a complete reinvention (Live 13) can be as solid as a game that's been building on something great for a number of years (2K).

On 2K's side of things, I'm just hoping for a few things out of 2K13. Mainly, it'd be nice to have the weird defensive morphing, sliding, and dilly-dallying worked out. There's some primary player-movement qualities that seemed to be adjusted for the worst from 2K11 to 2K12. Second, I'm hoping their re-build internet connectivity can be squared away (they ditched Dreamcast-era online technology in 2K11 and built from scratch for 2K12). My thought is perhaps another year of production will finally allow everything to fall in step.

Also, I pray 2K doesn't take away anything having to do with classic teams. In fact, I hope they build upon their base. With the Association and My Player stalling out for me (I've just flat out lost interest) the classic teams are the only thing I've played on 2K in the last three months. With such a wealth of legends and hacked jerseys (like the '93 Suns), people have been able to crank out some impressively accurate classic teams that go beyond 2K's original offerings. The replay value feels almost endless.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-23-2012 at 03:40 PM.

2K12 is garbage, it's not even a finished game. Live 13 better be good.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Can somebody help me understand why for some reason 2K12 is so much boring than all other previous games? I have to force myself to play and that's only to scratch my basketball itch. With NBA Live 01-08 ish... and NBA 2K-2k11 ish... it's never been like that. It just feels so bland. The dribbling/crossover moves for one aren't fun to me like in previous games. I love the highlight aspect EA always took pride in. The ankle breakers.. the flashy dunks etc. Made it more fun to just pick up and play against buddies.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Can somebody help me understand why for some reason 2K12 is so much boring than all other previous games? I have to force myself to play and that's only to scratch my basketball itch. With NBA Live 01-08 ish... and NBA 2K-2k11 ish... it's never been like that. It just feels so bland. The dribbling/crossover moves for one aren't fun to me like in previous games. I love the highlight aspect EA always took pride in. The ankle breakers.. the flashy dunks etc. Made it more fun to just pick up and play against buddies.
    I actually believe it has a lot to do with the manner with which the defense is set up this year. Contrary to past iterations of 2K, it seems physics and logic took a little bit of a back seat this year. As such, the game doesn't seem to play out as naturally as one may hope. Or to put it another way, players aren't being rewarded in 2K12 when the correct jab, dribble move, or ball fake is performed, even when it elicits a defensive response that'd seemingly lead to an advantage for the offensive player.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E531hel3YTQ

In the clip above, it's clear Rod Strickland's pump fake forced Sarunas Marciulionis to commit his body weight into contesting the shot. Through our knowledge of real life logic and physics, Strickland should have been able to get a clear step on Sarunas, leaving Marciulionis to shift his body and scramble to recover. Instead, as can be seen, Sarunas is able to contest then cease physics mid-animation and slide easily in recovery, nullifying the logically correct play.

So basically, users in 2K12 are often not rewarded for making the correct plays. This can create a random feeling when initiating moves and attempting to capitalize on poor weight shifts from the defense. As such, dribble moves become less enjoyable because a lot of the cause-and-effect seems to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I actually believe it has a lot to do with the manner with which the defense is set up this year. Contrary to past iterations of 2K, it seems physics and logic took a little bit of a back seat this year. As such, the game doesn't seem to play out as naturally as one may hope. Or to put it another way, players aren't being rewarded in 2K12 when the correct jab, dribble move, or ball fake is performed, even when it elicits a defensive response that'd seemingly lead to an advantage for the offensive player.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E531hel3YTQ

In the clip above, it's clear Rod Strickland's pump fake forced Sarunas Marciulionis to commit his body weight into contesting the shot. Through our knowledge of real life logic and physics, Strickland should have been able to get a clear step on Sarunas, leaving Marciulionis to shift his body and scramble to recover. Instead, as can be seen, Sarunas is able to contest then cease physics mid-animation and slide easily in recovery, nullifying the logically correct play.

So basically, users in 2K12 are often not rewarded for making the correct plays. This can create a random feeling when initiating moves and attempting to capitalize on poor weight shifts from the defense. As such, dribble moves become less enjoyable because a lot of the cause-and-effect seems to be removed.
    Yup. That has indeed been a problem for me. Defense somehow never gets thrown off much. Only way I can get by a defender consistently is with a good screen. Another thing is 2K promised no more interceptions by defense when not looking or not a good angle but that's bullshit. Every long pass I throw even if defense is nowhere near good angle/position gets picked off.

Which takes away the fastbreak highlights.

I'm not sure, I think it's the best Basketball game to date.

Guess people get bored quickly.

Same thing applies to almost any game though. The more you play it, the more it'll begin to irritate you, bugs will become more apparent, gameplay will get stale etc.

Future D1 Dad

i will definitely be checking of live this year. the final straw for 2k12 for me was the fact that after hours of changing my rosters, the game still sets the starters how it wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    i will definitely be checking of live this year. the final straw for 2k12 for me was the fact that after hours of changing my rosters, the game still sets the starters how it wants it.
    Don't forget the stupid My Player crap of trading your entire roster in a week they finally fixed months later. Or adding the legends/teams later for 15 extra bucks .

About to go buy NBA Live 10 just for nostalgia. I miss basketball games with flashy dunks/crossovers. I don't like the plastic looking graphics but game play was very fun.

My biggest issues with 2k are in no particular order:

-The rosters reset themselves
    -Sometimes the most up to date one isn't the one that loads when I start an association, despite it taking 4-5 minutes to get the latest roster from 2k Sports!
    -When that happens there's no way to back out of starting an association after I notice that it's the ones from August 26 or whenever the game was released.
    -The downloading of draft classes online rarely works. So I always have to go get my usb and do it that way, it's not a big deal to me really, but if you're gonna say the game has a feature, make sure it works at least half the time.
    -I miss the trade block
    -While I do like the defensive sliders don't get me wrong, I hate how in the 4th quarter random scrubs like Delfino and Charlie Bell will get 10 steals and tie up the game. Because magically they figure me out towards the end.
    -The servers, while I never have as much trouble as them as other people say they do. There are nights when ISH's server is better.

Future D1 Dad

About to go buy NBA Live 10 just for nostalgia. I miss basketball games with flashy dunks/crossovers. I don't like the plastic looking graphics but game play was very fun.
    gameplay >>> graphics.

Local High School Star IBLEEDGREEN20's Avatar

NBA LIVE 10 was so good it went over peoples heads...

I'll never forget how bad 2k10 was and people still supported the hell out of a laggy, low framerate glitchy mess.

I am beyond excited for nba live 13.

grew up playing live might give this a try.

EA showed their first 5 screenshots from NBA Live 13 at E3. Looks pretty good to be honest.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

lebron looks quite good, pau looks decent, and chandler is so terrible.