Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default John Wall, the next Derrick Rose?

This guy seems very similar to Derrick Rose. abt 6'3 with insane athleticism and penetrating ability, superb ball control and creative passing skills.

Both of them even have similar weakness, a poor shot from midrange and out. Ive heard others say that John Wall though has the pontential to be even better then Rose( which is a far shot since he hasnt even played any NBA minutes )

Any differences between them two though?

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: John Wall, the next Derrick Rose?

Yes, that comparison has been made by just about everyone.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

comparisons with the athletic ability is the only thing these two have in common and it ends there in terms of similarities, yeah they are both superb athletes, but even that has certain differences too, wall is a pure speedster! extremely quick! rose is fast but he plays more under control and doesn't utilize his speed to his potential but when he turns it on he's gone! rose is ALOT ALOT more stronger! i honestly don't think he even knows how strong he is... the kids strength is incredible, wall definitely needs to hit the weights.

in terms of game, im gonna have to give the slight nod to wall with ball handling, passing is about equal cuz i can't determine if one is better than the other at setting up his teammates, but rose looks to pass first almost all of the time, as wall does look for the pass, but then he'll look for his shot way more than rose would.

defense is the 2nd biggest difference between the two i would say, im not going to say wall is the better defender yet! cuz rose did step his defense up in the playoffs bigtime! but wall has a more willingness to play dee! well rose almost seams lackadasical at times on the defensive side of things.

to me the main difference is the mentallity of the two, wall is more aggressive, he has that "it" hunger factor that i noticed whenever i've seen him, wall plays with a chip on his shoulder, while rose is sometimes hoe hum about stuff, altho i know rose is very much a competitor it's sometimes hard to tell if he actually really wants it that bad, and by "it" i mean greatness, championships etc.

i said this before that i think wall will eventually be a 2 gaurd if he fills out a bit and maybe grows a inch or two cuz wall is a legitimate 6'4 right now, while rose is 6'2 on a good day, im not going to say wall's ceiling is higher but potentially it could be, and if wall turns out better than rose i would not be surprised the least bit.

if i had to pick one player between the two... even tho it kills me to say it... im gonna have to pick wall, and this is coming from a huge bulls derrick rose fan! i just think john wall is one of those special talents, once in every 5 year talent, and i think he's gonna hear his name in the same breath as wade, lebron, kobe in a couple of years.

Not even the same mold of player.

Derrick Rose is a natural 1 and Wall is a 2 guard.

Quote Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
    if i had to pick one player between the two... even tho it kills me to say it... im gonna have to pick wall, and this is coming from a huge bulls derrick rose fan! i just think john wall is one of those special talents, once in every 5 year talent, and i think he's gonna hear his name in the same breath as wade, lebron, kobe in a couple of years.
    So you're willing to say you'd pick John Wall over Rose when Wall hasn't even played a college game? You're overhyping Wall WAY too much. Let the guy prove what he can do at the next two levels before saying you think he'll be in the same breath as Wade, Lebron, or Kobe in a couple years.

Rose:

Seems like he has the edge in strength, body control, ball handling [keeping the ball low], and finishing with the layup.

Wall:

Seems like a more natural scorer, is longer ans finishes with the dunk easier, a flashier ball handler, better defender [potential].

seems like Wall is more of a Wade type player than a PG.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    So you're willing to say you'd pick John Wall over Rose when Wall hasn't even played a college game? You're overhyping Wall WAY too much. Let the guy prove what he can do at the next two levels before saying you think he'll be in the same breath as Wade, Lebron, or Kobe in a couple years.
    umm... no, i don't want to wait two years and see what he's capable of accomplishing and then have everybody either say he is or isn't going to be better than rose dwade or who ever, am i overhyping him up now? maybe, but i did try my best not too, this is my perception of john wall and i stated my opinions and sticking too em, i admit i am making a very bold statement, but just try to remember by me making this statement i am willing to reap the benefits or consequences for this statement! i want to say this right now loud and clear! is that ok with you buddy?
    Last edited by DwadeOverLebron; 06-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Not even the same mold of player.

Derrick Rose is a natural 1 and Wall is a 2 guard.
    Wall isnt exactly a 2, he shoots much more than Rose does and hes a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall's problem comes from Heat Checking during games, when his shot is off he will attempt to get it back on at the displeasure of his teammates.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

more like wade than rose

Quote Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
    umm... no, i don't want to wait two years and see what he's capable of accomplishing and then have everybody either say he is or isn't going to be better than rose dwade or who ever, am i overhyping him up now?
    English?

maybe, but i did try my best not too, this is my perception of john wall and i stated my opinions and sticking too em, i admit i am making a very bold statement, but just try to remember by me making this statement i am willing to reap the benefits or consequences for this statement! i want to say this right now loud and clear! is that ok with you buddy?
    You weren't trying to overhype him? My goodness, good thing you didn't try to actually do that. Chances are(which I'm sure you'll deny) that you've never seen anything on John Wall outside of highlights and YouTube. I don't care if you give well informed opinions, I just don't understand how you could say those things by only watching highlights, reading reports, and looking at numbers. I guess that's what a lot of people do on Inside Hoops....

Had you said these things after his college season it would've given the statements a little credibility, but still wouldn't be a very smart thing to say. I just find it humorous that you said you'd take a fresh out of high school player who hasn't proved anything yet over the 2009 rookie of the year and that he may be in the same breath as Kobe and Wade someday. C'mon, man. That'd be overhyping someone even if they were coming off a brilliant college campaign, let alone someone who hasn't even started college.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 06-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.

National High School Star

Ive seen my fair share of Wall and Rose and I feel that DWadeOverLebron made some good points and his analysis is respected.. if you differ with him explain why.. dont just call him wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Ive seen my fair share of Wall and Rose and I feel that DWadeOverLebron made some good points and his analysis is respected.. if you differ with him explain why.. dont just call him wrong.
    I believe Undisputed clearly explained why he differed with DwadeoverLebron...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    more like wade than rose
    Not really.

Wade doesnt start heat checking from the outside because he realizes thats not one of the stronger points of his game.

Wall is more like a cross between Wade & Crawford.

BingBongBrother
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Wall = Jamal Crawford

Is this a joke ? Wall couldn't even lead Team USA to a win. They lost to the freaking world. I mean back in 2007 Derrick Rose with O.J. Mayo, Mike Beasley, Kevin Love destroyed the world.