Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Religious Beliefs/Philosophy talk

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    is there a title/belief for someone who just doesnt care about that stuff; has no interest in trying to debate what the reason for anything is.

i dont think atheist qualifies, since youre not disbelieving god. but does this fall under agnostic?
    If you had belief you would care, so you are atheist.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    is there a title/belief for someone who just doesnt care about that stuff; has no interest in trying to debate what the reason for anything is.

i dont think atheist qualifies, since youre not disbelieving god. but does this fall under agnostic?
    All of these concepts really just describe what your position is. If you don't hold a belief in God, whether it is because you haven't thought about it and don't care or if you have spent a lot of time contemplating it you are an Atheist.

By your description I would say you would qualify as an Agnostic Atheist. Someone who doesn't have a belief in God but also doesn't say God doesn't exist either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    err.. no. True, i find religious morality to be repugnant and to be a stultifier of social and economic progress, but that is not my reason for not believing it. Remember, you are the one making a positive assertion here, not me, so you are the one that has to provide evidence to justify your assertion. I wonder in what other subject you would make such grand and positive assertions without any reason to think them. Finding other reasonings illogical is not a justification for believing something else dogmatically and with no supporting evidence.

I said nothing about the big bang theory, i was talking about how humans and modern human society came to be, not the cosmic beginnings of the universe. Laugh at spontaneous order all you like, but it is the reason your brain is the way it is, and also the reason why human civilisation has developed so successfully.
    Yes. I did assert that God is real. And I gave a reason that YOU disagree with. So I asked you to explain how mankind came into existence. Even if you feel our evolutionary parents were micro organisms that evolved into what we are today, where did that organisms origins come from?

I also would appreciate you answering how believing in God stunts the development of mankinds social and ecconomic progess.

In fact, I'd gladly debate you and anyone else as to how not having God hurts mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Yes. I did assert that God is real. And I gave a reason that YOU disagree with. So I asked you to explain how mankind came into existence. Even if you feel our evolutionary parents were micro organisms that evolved into what we are today, where did that organisms origins come from?

I also would appreciate you answering how believing in God stunts the development of mankinds social and ecconomic progess.

In fact, I'd gladly debate you and anyone else as to how not having God hurts mankind.
    Life can arise on its own provided the right conditions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

'The Oparin-Haldane hypothesis suggests that the atmosphere of the early Earth may have been chemically reducing in nature, composed primarily of methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3), water (H2O), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide (CO2) or carbon monoxide (CO), and phosphate (PO43-), with molecular oxygen (O2) and ozone (O3) either rare or absent.

In such a reducing atmosphere, electrical activity can catalyze the creation of certain basic small molecules (monomers) of life, such as amino acids. This was demonstrated in the Miller

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Don't talk to me about religion.

Religion is used as a tool to control & divide people.

God is Love, If God was the way the bible described him I would tell him to go **** himself.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 01-29-2014 at 11:54 PM.

mormonism
    catholicism
    islam
    hinduism
    judaism
    paganism

take your pick

[QUOTE=Dresta]Life can arise on its own provided the right conditions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

'The Oparin-Haldane hypothesis suggests that the atmosphere of the early Earth may have been chemically reducing in nature, composed primarily of methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3), water (H2O), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide (CO2) or carbon monoxide (CO), and phosphate (PO43-), with molecular oxygen (O2) and ozone (O3) either rare or absent.

In such a reducing atmosphere, electrical activity can catalyze the creation of certain basic small molecules (monomers) of life, such as amino acids. This was demonstrated in the Miller

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Don't talk to me about religion.

Religion is used as a tool to control & divide people.

God is Love, If God was the way the bible described him I would tell him to go **** himself.
    This is an extreme stance. Just about anything can and is used to manipulate and divide people

How is he described in the bible according to your POV?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Legend
    As from where God came from, he wasn't created, otherwise he wouldn't be God. He is outside of time, with no beginning or end. We can't comprehend him or we would be at his level of understanding and he wouldn't be God anymore. Just like ants can't understand how a computer works.
    Well, time itself is a measurement of change. It's a language that we use to measure the duration of events. When God started to make decision of being a creator, that itself is a change thus he is within a timeframe. What did he think of before being a creator? Were there events that followed up to it? If so, then that's time.

Whatever changes he made exist in time. This include thinking of something, subatomic particles movement, or thought process, anything that involve motion or change is time. We don't know how can something exist without change or a space to occupy it. Anything that exist outside of time is forever unchangeable, right? It's like if the creator was forever in a stasis until the creator decided to change. Might as well say that he didn't exist until time because there is no movement, no motion, no thought; it is nothing. We also cannot imagine anything operating without time. So, it is beyond our comprehend if it even exist as you said.

You can also say there is dimension beyond the creator dimension that our creator have no way of knowing while having no evidence to it. But we do not know whatever or not God is eternal. We do not know whatever something could exist outside of time and space and we don't know the rules of another dimension. As you said, we may not be able to comprehend these rules. We don't know if it exist or not. For all we know, God could be energy and matter. Since energy isn't created or destroyed and it simply changes from one form to another. At least from what we know of.

If a intelligent designer did exist (doesn't have to be the God or Yahweh of the bible), I would assume he just created the laws of physics and let energy be converted into subatomic particles like protons, neutrons, and electrons. Dark energy to expand the universe and make it cooler for subatomic particles to form and atoms. This will lead to hydrogen which will lead to nuclear fusion thus stars, which lead to other elements. Don't really need much else other than matter (dark matter) with gravity. Basically the four fundamental forces of the universe. With the forces operating together, you could have solar systems, stars, planets, and everything else operating. Life could also be created due to this.

But the true answer to everything at this point is that we don't know. There isn't proof of a designer or lack there of. The only answer that we have is that we don't know. We also may never find out. We could either die before our knowledge grows or we could be too stupid to comprehend it. The scary thing is that we could also be the smartest lifeforms in our universe. We only understand about 4% of our universe probably. The rest is dark matter and dark energy.

just got into cognitive something something something

basically it's to identify your beliefs and thoughts regarding certain topics or situations when we are faced with them, and dispute these beliefs, then feel better

in other words, simple buddhist sh17

anyways, I also did a guided meditation with this youtube video, it was like 3 minutes and was something like that guided meditation from the movie, Fight Club

felt good brehs

anyways

My philosophy is to challenge everything you believe in. Take some time to appreciate your ah ha moment... then get busy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I find Emerson's take on Jesus in his Divinity School Address much more powerful than the his traditional treatment as a divine figure.
    "Jesus Christ belonged to the true race of prophets. He saw with open eye the mystery of the soul. Drawn by its severe harmony, ravished with its beauty, he lived in it, and had his being there. Alone in all history, he estimated the greatness of man. One man was true to what is in you and me. He saw that God incarnates himself in man, and evermore goes forth anew to take possession of his world. He said, in this jubilee of sublime emotion, `I am divine. Through me, God acts; through me, speaks. Would you see God, see me; or, see thee, when thou also thinkest as I now think.' But what a distortion did his doctrine and memory suffer in the same, in the next, and the following ages! There is no doctrine of the Reason which will bear to be taught by the Understanding. The understanding caught this high chant from the poet's lips, and said, in the next age, `This was Jehovah come down out of heaven. I will kill you, if you say he was a man.' The idioms of his language, and the figures of his rhetoric, have usurped the place of his truth; and churches are not built on his principles, but on his tropes. Christianity became a Mythus, as the poetic teaching of Greece and of Egypt, before. He spoke of miracles; for he felt that man's life was a miracle, and all that man doth, and he knew that this daily miracle shines, as the character ascends. But the word Miracle, as pronounced by Christian churches, gives a false impression; it is Monster. It is not one with the blowing clover and the falling rain. "

Thanks for that. Looks like there are some people out there in the world that actually "get it".