Page 78 of 91 FirstFirst ... 28687576777879808188 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1357
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: 2011/12 Observation Deck

NCAA finally said (sort of) how they build a bracket

• All committee members submit their own list of 37 teams they believe should receive an at-large berth. Any team that appears on all but two of these lists is automatically moved into the tournament.

• Any team that appears on at least three of these lists goes into the "under consideration" column, along with teams that won their conference's regular season title, and any other school that receives a committee member's verbal nomination and receives enough votes. This list of "under consideration" teams is winnowed down by successive votes until it reaches eight, at which point committee members rank them. The four highest ranking teams are given berths. If there are still tournament berths remaining, the process repeats, always adding four at a time, until the bracket is full.

• A similar "four-at-a-time" process is used to decide the seeds. Successive votes and rankings, with each committee member's vote being equal, decides the four No. 1 seeds, then the four No. 2 seeds, etc.

• "Each of the first three teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions. There shall not be more than two teams from a conference in one region unless a ninth team is selected from a conference." Teams from the same conference should not be seeded to meet until the regional final.

• The committee should specifically avoid putting teams with a 5 or lower seed at a "home-crowd disadvantage." For example, Michigan will never be placed in a pod that has them playing their first two games in Columbus, Ohio, one of the regional hosts. To avoid this and other geographic problems, the committee is allowed to change a team's seed by one, in either direction, if there is no other way around it.

• Rematches of regular season games should be avoided in the first two rounds.

• The committee must pay attention to recent years' brackets to avoid sending teams far across the country multiple years in a row. For example, Wisconsin opened in Tucson last year, so the committee must make sure they play close to home this time around.

And if you've ever wondered just what information the Selection Committee is working with, the manual makes it clear:
    Among the resources available to the committee are complete box scores, game summaries and notes, pertinent information submitted on a team's behalf by its conference, various computer rankings, injury reports, head-to-head results, chronological results, Division I results, non-conference results, home, away and neutral results, rankings, polls and the NABC regional advisory committee rankings.

Whoa, crazy Lenny Cooke story.

VCU-Drexel = the start of march madness.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    It's really fascinating what Calipari has done with this squad defensively.

They just want to chase you off your spot outside the arc and encourage mid-range jumpers. Then letting Davis run free to try and disrupt anything around the lane, even at the expense of allowing the opposing big (like Young today) to score at the rim.

My thought on attacking them was to force Davis to play legit low post, man-on-man defense against a big, physical body. But it's going to take an especially disciplined and talented half-court offense to do so. UNC? Kansas? Michigan State? I haven't seen the middie I think could get it done in an upset scenario.

It's a credit to his coaching ability how quickly he can implement it with a constant stream of new players.
    Yeah I really enjoy watching them get at it defensively.

It's really fascinating what Calipari has done with this squad defensively.

They just want to chase you off your spot outside the arc and encourage mid-range jumpers. Then letting Davis run free to try and disrupt anything around the lane, even at the expense of allowing the opposing big (like Young today) to score at the rim.

My thought on attacking them was to force Davis to play legit low post, man-on-man defense against a big, physical body. But it's going to take an especially disciplined and talented half-court offense to do so. UNC? Kansas? Michigan State? I haven't seen the middie I think could get it done in an upset scenario.

It's a credit to his coaching ability how quickly he can implement it with a constant stream of new players.
    I think UNC is and would be their toughest match-up. They do have the best frontcourt in the nation this year, even though they weren't as big of a factor as their perimeter players in the December mathc-up. UNC got uncharacteristically great three-point shooting. I think UNC has the shooters capable of getting hot from three but I was surprised we only lost by one point at Kentucky with Zeller and Henson not being as big of factors as they normally are. Zeller was pushed off his spots and couldn't hold on to the ball to save his life in that game. Obviously, anyone that has watched a UNC game the last two months will tell you he's a completely different player

With the emergence of Withey I think the Kansas frontcourt of he and Robinson could give them more problems than they are use to. Mississippi State has a very good frontcourt duo in Moultrie and Sidney and that wasn't enough to get them a win. But of course Sidney spent way too much time on the perimeter in that game and it was in the midst of Mississippi State's collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I think UNC is and would be their toughest match-up. They do have the best frontcourt in the nation this year, even though they weren't as big of a factor as their perimeter players in the December mathc-up. UNC got uncharacteristically great three-point shooting. I think UNC has the shooters capable of getting hot from three but I was surprised we only lost by one point at Kentucky with Zeller and Henson not being as big of factors as they normally are. Zeller was pushed off his spots and couldn't hold on to the ball to save his life in that game. Obviously, anyone that has watched a UNC game the last two months will tell you he's a completely different player

With the emergence of Withey I think the Kansas frontcourt of he and Robinson could give them more problems than they are use to. Mississippi State has a very good frontcourt duo in Moultrie and Sidney and that wasn't enough to get them a win. But of course Sidney spent way too much time on the perimeter in that game and it was in the midst of Mississippi State's collapse.
    Still trying to warm to Zeller. Have become so wary the last several years of the difference between truly special, albeit young, bigs (Davis) and guys who become productive over time because of the dearth of quality size in college basketball.

I do think UNC's overall talent gives them a great shot vs Kentucky. it's the kind of game that a guy like Barnes, who has a wonderful midrange game when he chooses to, could really make a difference.

I'd like a hybrid Michigan State's beef up front and UNC's wings/guards.

I hope for your own sake you don't think Zeller is really good because there's a lack of size in the country. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    I hope for your own sake you don't think Zeller is really good because there's a lack of size in the country. lol
    Certainly. All the best legitimate big men stay around college ball for 4 years. Where else would they go?

Certainly. All the best legitimate big men stay around college ball for 4 years. Where else would they go?
    Injured basically his entire freshman year and missed another big chunk of games his sophomore year with an injury. Not to mention it's not rare, at all, for big men to be late bloomers and turn into lottery type talent their junior and senior years.

Injured basically his entire freshman year and missed another big chunk of games his sophomore year with an injury. Not to mention it's not rare, at all, for big men to be late bloomers and turn into lottery type talent their junior and senior years.
    Time will tell. But part of my argument is that they turn into lottery choices in their senior years because they hang around and they're big. The NBA likes big. But they've done that while the cream of the crop bigs, the real talent, jumped after their freshman/sophomore seasons.

It's not across the board and I could be dead wrong. Just saying I haven't seen enough from him to feel great matching him up in a huge game against some of the other bigs in the country that I perceive as more talented.

I dunno...I may be dead wrong too, but I feel he has more talent than 98% of the big men in the country. He definitely has better instincts offensively than pretty much all but a few.

As for trying to imagine him matching up against other top bigs, to be honest Davis can't match up with any good defensive big. He can't take on any good post defender one on one. He hasn't proven he can at all. BUT he has great instincts, which allows him get points off ally oops, put backs, fast breaks, etc. (and obviously he matches up defensively with anyone).

Zeller, as people say, is probably the best running big man in the country along with his brother. He gets great position inside. Those great instincts are key to his game, just as they are to Davis. Plus, while he might not have a super smooth skill set that in your mind can parlay into a good pro career, he has a much more evolved one on one post game than Davis.

It helps having Henson next to him too.

For me, if he has a bad game, it has more to do with him mentally not being aggressive enough than an opposing big taking him out of the game. What he does great are things opposing players can't really deny (fast break running, knack for getting great position....no one can deny that for an entire game unless a player lets you). When he's aggressive, he's a top 5 big in the country easily.

Time will tell. But part of my argument is that they turn into lottery choices in their senior years because they hang around and they're big. The NBA likes big. But they've done that while the cream of the crop bigs, the real talent, jumped after their freshman/sophomore seasons.

It's not across the board and I could be dead wrong. Just saying I haven't seen enough from him to feel great matching him up in a huge game against some of the other bigs in the country that I perceive as more talented.
    Yes, but part of the reason Zeller stuck around four years is because he missed so much of his freshman and sophomore seasons. He really started to bloom last year in ACC play and really emerged during the NCAA tournament and that has carried over through this season. He's really only had two full seasons in college. Does he have the talent and ceiling of an Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, or even teammate John Henson? No. But I do feel he can more than hold his own and play big in a big game this year against other talented frontcourt players.

Zeller is one my favorite Tar Heels ever and he's earned that (in my eyes this year) by being the lone player to show up for certain games in the 1st half. There's been numerous times he's carried UNC through lulls in 1st halves of games while everyone else "woke-up". With that said, I don't think he's going to be a superstar or even a star in the NBA. I do think he can be a very solid starting center for someone, though. Maybe not a centerpiece but he can be paired with one of the leagues many very good to great PF's and fill a role has a good positional defender with a legit 7'0" already 240-250 pound frame. He runs the floor extremely well and has good touch out to 15-17 feet. On top of that he's an 80%-85% FT shooter.

Yes, but part of the reason Zeller stuck around four years is because he missed so much of his freshman and sophomore seasons. He really started to bloom last year in ACC play and really emerged during the NCAA tournament and that has carried over through this season. He's really only had two full seasons in college. Does he have the talent and ceiling of an Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, or even teammate John Henson? No. But I do feel he can more than hold his own and play big in a big game this year against other talented frontcourt players.

Zeller is one my favorite Tar Heels ever and he's earned that (in my eyes this year) by being the lone player to show up for certain games in the 1st half. There's been numerous times he's carried UNC through lulls in 1st halves of games while everyone else "woke-up". With that said, I don't think he's going to be a superstar or even a star in the NBA. I do think he can be a very solid starting center for someone, though. Maybe not a centerpiece but he can be paired with one of the leagues many very good to great PF's and fill a role has a good positional defender with a legit 7'0" already 240-250 pound frame. He runs the floor extremely well and has good touch out to 15-17 feet. On top of that he's an 80%-85% FT shooter.
    Zeller obvously has some great things he brings to the floor as a college ball player. Not looking to bash the guy. Just an observation born over years that 4 year players at 2year programs tend to be flawed in some way.

In the tournament there will come moments that define players. One that I always look for is the mismatch...the middie vs the power...where the middie has a bruiser in the middle who can force foul issues and/or make the favorite become a real man-to-man, no switching, me vs you team. Almost always some 6'9" guy who has overpowered a smaller league trying to do the same thing vs the big boys.

The other is that telling time in most NCAA big games where you see which team has more NBA-caliber players on the floor. Play slows, becomes more physical, and it's not about experience or accolades; it's who's the best player. I didn't see that when Zeller played Kentucky earlier this year. He played hard. Looked ok. Didn't make me think he's a difference maker vs that level of competition.

Hoping he gets another chance. One of the reasons I love this time of year.

Zeller obvously has some great things he brings to the floor as a college ball player. Not looking to bash the guy. Just an observation born over years that 4 year players at 2year programs tend to be flawed in some way.

In the tournament there will come moments that define players. One that I always look for is the mismatch...the middie vs the power...where the middie has a bruiser in the middle who can force foul issues and/or make the favorite become a real man-to-man, no switching, me vs you team. Almost always some 6'9" guy who has overpowered a smaller league trying to do the same thing vs the big boys.

The other is that telling time in most NCAA big games where you see which team has more NBA-caliber players on the floor. Play slows, becomes more physical, and it's not about experience or accolades; it's who's the best player. I didn't see that when Zeller played Kentucky earlier this year. He played hard. Looked ok. Didn't make me think he's a difference maker vs that level of competition.

Hoping he gets another chance. One of the reasons I love this time of year.
    I think you're missing the point that the main reason Zeller is a four year player is because he essentially missed his entire freshman year (broke his wrist after the 2nd game of the season, returned a the tail end of the season and got spot minutes in the ACC and NCAA tournaments) then missed another chunk of games his sophomore year during ACC play. In his freshman and sophomore seasons combined he barely played one seasons worth of games. I'm not saying he would've been a two years and done player, but it's unfair to have skepticism about him because he's a four year player, because he's an unconventional four year player.

I will give you that he didn't look spectacular against Kentucky. He had issues in that game he was having against lesser opponents at that point in the season, and that's being strong with the ball and holding his position in the post. While they haven't played against a team of the same caliber as Kentucky since, he has played against some very good competition and hasn't had those same issues to the same extent. Sure, he still fumbles a ball here and there (what big man doesn't?) but he's been the most dominant player in the ACC this season.

And I'm not claiming UNC will meet up with Syracuse or Kentucky in the NCAA tournament and Zeller will go for 25 and 10, but he's been a much difference player the last two months than he was against Kentucky in December.

What a game at MSG, 1min left tied at 65

I still have a hard time grasping the fact that a team with Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond, Shabazz Napier, Alex Oriakhi, and Ryan Boatright could be an NIT team if they lose this game.

I still have a hard time grasping the fact that a team with Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond, Shabazz Napier, Alex Oriakhi, and Ryan Boatright could be an NIT team if they lose this game.
    Yea me too, it's one of those cases when you clearly see that one team doesn't reach their full potential.