Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

KRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat cool
Default 3 Good Things To Look Forward To After The Camby Trade

That's right, 3 "GOOD" things to look forward to, post Camby trade. Losing Camby sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it, so it's time to move on and discuss the 3 good things that came out of trading Camby for what seemed like absolutely nothing in return.

1. $10 million trade exception:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Clippers today acquired forward Marcus Camby from the Denver Nuggets. In return, Denver will have the option to exchange second round picks with the Clippers in 2010. As a result of the trade, the Nuggets receive a $10,000,000 trade exception, which can be used until one year from the completion of the trade. See the full report.

Quote:
An NBA team over the salary cap can only make trades in which the salaries match. Denver made the deal with one of the few teams under the salary cap, so it gained a $10 million exception.

So for 365 days, well, now 364, the Nuggets can utilize the trade exception.

An example of this happened earlier this month, when Minnesota, over the salary cap, received Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth from Philadelphia for draft picks because Minnesota was able to apply a trade exception received at another time.

If the Nuggets trade a future draft pick, and use the $10 million exception for a player who makes $10 million, they will be back to the same financial numbers they were at when Camby was on the books. The difference, though, is they would have a new player who entices them more than the 34-year-old Camby did.

It's expected that the Nuggets will be in the low-to-mid $70 million range with salaries next season, and the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax is paid by teams that are above the $71 million benchmark.

So if the Nuggets make a trade this summer using the exception, the acquired player will put them back into a similar luxury tax situation as when they had Camby.

So the question is, when will Denver make its next move? Will it be this summer? Or will it wait until next summer when Allen Iverson and his $21 million is off the books, giving Denver gymnast-like flexibility?

By then, the Nuggets could both be under the salary cap and have the $10 million exception to use in a trade, meaning they could have the space to go after a big-name player and trade for another.
The question is, who will they go after?, and it better not be Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph.........no thanks.

2. Re-signing J.R. Smith:
Dumping Camby's salary gives the Nuggets FO alot more flexibilty in trying to re-sign J.R. Smith, who is obviously looking for big bucks!. So...what the hell are you guys waiting for? sign him already!!.

3. A motivated Steven Hunter!!!:
Quote:
"I was thinking something was going to happen because we have so many players making all this money, and we didn't win a playoff game (last season)," Hunter said. "I've got to be prepared to produce (next season). I'm ready to work."
Oh yeah baby! Steven Hunter ain't playin' around no more!.
Get ready to see some this:

More of that!!

And a little less of this:

KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 3 Good Things To Look Forward To After The Camby Trade

Another good thing to look forward to is melo's game. Melo always took it upon himself to give more of an effort to rebound when camby was out of the game. With camby now gone for good, I fully expect Melo to be a 20-10 guy, similar to antawn jamison.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

KRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
Another good thing to look forward to is melo's game. Melo always took it upon himself to give more of an effort to rebound when camby was out of the game. With camby now gone for good, I fully expect Melo to be a 20-10 guy, similar to antawn jamison.
How about a 25/10 kind of guy?.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Mile High Crew has an OK reputation so far

Steven Hunter has one of the craziest hops in the NBA. If we had a front court dunk contest many assume that K-Mart will win, but if you've seen Hunter play this guy deserves a spot at this years slam dunk contest if he's given some credible minutes as a Nugget. Play Him KARL!

JR wants the money, enough said, if you want him go get him, if you don't, don't string him along like you did to Camby. If you want Sonny Weems to start just tell us I'm fine with that because I know Weems can play well, IF you don't know much about Weems's game, your missing a show. He is a consistent player and will know doubt impress you.
TRUST ME ON THIS GUYS, THIS KID HAS TALENT!!!

I agree with both of you on Melo, now that he realizes that this maybe his last chance to play with A.I. he will definitely become a leader now that Camby has left the building.
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hunter is a great 2nd string center. Does almost everything your prototypical center is supposed to do. But I hope he comes off the bench. We won't win anything worth being happy about with him starting with all due respect to him. If he's the starting center and the lineup stays Carter/Iverson/Melo/Martin/Hunter, no more than 45 wins for Denver is my guess.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka

the rebounding thing does scare me right now- carmelo, without a doubt does need to take the next step as a rebounder, even if it means sacrificing he easy run out points- who else will?

is kleiza now our best rebounder?
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Melo was second behind camby with 7.4 boards last season.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: