Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default Re: Car fleeing police kills 3 pedestrian children

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I realize this.

Though would a chopper honestly not be a better option, particularly at 7:30 when traffic would still most likely be intense and a lot of persons making their way home?

I understand that seems easier, but if the city were to get a helicopter out every time they needed to find a criminal do you realize how much they would end up paying to apprehend criminals? Plus on top of that if they weren't tailing the car how would they keep track of the car the criminal was in? The idea sounds good, but I'm not sure how practical it is.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I understand that seems easier, but if the city were to get a helicopter out every time they needed to find a criminal do you realize how much they would end up paying to apprehend criminals? Plus on top of that if they weren't tailing the car how would they keep track of the car the criminal was in? The idea sounds good, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

its very practical and easy to do... Im sure the Philadelphia police have a policy on car chases already...

you dont need to break out a copter to find every criminal..... but if a car chase ensues... cops should be prepared to break it off at some point and call in air support
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

^^ That is true, but how are you going to track the car without following it in order to let the helicopter know where the car is? Plus, if you are following it, then odds are they are going to try and escape, and you'd end up having to chase them anyway, even if it is to keep track of their location. And I somewhat doubt it's easy to identify cars from a bird's eye view (sure, colour of the roof top, but what else, the registration number?)
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS

I in no way have superior knowledge of how the police force handles this over anyone on the board, but its simple risk management. The traffic at 7:30is damn near at it's peak. Putting your lights on and chasing the guy is never a good idea.

Getting a tail, would be a better option, and in this time, air support would be a good idea.

I'm not saying everytime, as there are huge costs. Though if it's at 12pm, not nearly as many people will be out and the traffic won't be near as bad. You in this case ensue in a chase. How was the chase going to end any other way? Him stopping and surrendering? Nah. It is always a crash in most cases, or pit maneuver, which results in spinning out and occassionally a crash as well. All these things are more appropriate at different times, when less civilians are out on the streets.

Just my thoughts.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
^^ That is true, but how are you going to track the car without following it in order to let the helicopter know where the car is? Plus, if you are following it, then odds are they are going to try and escape, and you'd end up having to chase them anyway, even if it is to keep track of their location. And I somewhat doubt it's easy to identify cars from a bird's eye view (sure, colour of the roof top, but what else, the registration number?)

simply follow it until the suspect flees... you might chase him for a bit, but when he begins being reckless (like say heading towards south philly where the streets are small and alot of people are present), then you break off and give your location and description of the car to a copter... those copters can see a wider radius and even keep a spotlight on the vehicle in order to help other cops around the city to surround him...

anything to decrease the danger to innocent people like the 3 kids is worth it....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Update: The mother has now passed away also. It's also been reported that the police were not in hot pursuit of the car.

Quote:
Two men with arrest records face homicide charges in the deaths of three small children and a woman mowed down by a car driven one of them while fleeing a robbery, officials say.

Police officials in the meantime said police were not in hot pursuit when the car jumped a sidewalk in Feltonville and struck the four victims.

They said the car sped away after an officer pulled up behind it at a light, got out and tried to pull the driver, identified as Donta Cradock, 18, from the car following a gunpoint robbery of a motorcycle.

Cradock and Ivan Rodriguez, 20, are being held on armed robbery charges and officials said they are planning to charge them with homicide in the deaths of the four.

Police said Cradock, of 300 East Rockland St., has eight prior arrests, five of them for weapons, and Rodriquez, of 4500 N. 8th St., has five arrests for vehicle theft.

The victims were identified as Latoya Smith, 22; her daughter Remedy Smith, who would have turned one tomorrow; Alicia Griffin, 6, who is related to the Smiths; and Gina Marie Rosario, 7.

The four, all residents of the neighborhood, were in front of the Smith home on Third Street just south of Annsbury Street, near when they were hit about 7:30 p.m.

The children died last night and Latoya Smith died this morning at Einstein Medical Center.

A memorial of candles, flowers and stuffed animals has appeared at the crash site and this morning, Tammy Rosario, Gina Marie's mother, and other relatives gathered to to weep and seek answers where none could be found.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...ds_died.h tml
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Police are just as much to blame as the killer.

We seem to be the only ones that have a police force that seems not capable of calling off a chase if deemed to dangerous.

Get a chopper to follow the guy, instead of after seeing the car calling on a full on chase. It's the sensible thing to do, and allows you to catch the guy while at a standstill.

It's very sad what happened and the guy should get back 10 fold in punishment what he did to those kids.
I was thinking the same thing. Why do have to chase with a car? The helicopter would be much better.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: