Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013-2014 Observation Deck

hows Tokoto been this season? Haven't seen UNC play at all

Great buzzer beater from Shabazz Napier to get the win over Florida.

Patric Young has had the build of an NBA player since his freshman year but he hasn't improved all that much over the past few years. Pretty disappointing from an NBA standpoint.

Hmm...

I don't believe Roy's system benefits wings who want isolations, like Harrison Barnes. Players who mainly played/play off the ball, eg. Wayne Ellington, Reggie Bullock and PJ Hairston, flourished. Even Rashad McCants was terrific, and he slashed and posted up more than the other three players. Same goes for Reyshawn Terry. And for the record, Barnes has all the spacing and mismatches he can handle in Golden State. Does he look like the next Kobe or Jordan now? Yeah, Roy was holding him back alright...

The non-shooters haven't had quite the same success. Although really, how high of a ceiling is there for a guard who can't shoot the basketball? I honestly think Roy got the most out of Marcus Ginyard (especially considering his regular injuries) and Jackie Manuel (became an elite defender, which gave him a shot with the Boston Celtics). Same with Dexter Strickland, for the most part. Although I still believe his best interest would have been to solely play PG. That's just my opinion and I'm likely wrong.

Then there's David Noel, who is the most obvious example to use as proof the system doesn't hold back wing players in general. The guy went from an athletic football walk-on to a, 6-6 SF, draft pick.

Other than that, the system is unarguably fruitful.

Roy's starting PGs at UNC:
    Raymond Felton - Cousy award winner, lottery pick
    Bobby Frasor - 1 year stopgap between Felton and Lawson
    Tywon Lawson - Cousy away winner, first round pick
    Larry Drew - Transferred, technically ended up a 1 year stopgap
    Kendall Marshall - Cousy award winner, lottery pick
    Marcus Paige - tbd

So other than Drew and, obviously, Paige, every PG who started for more than 1 season ended up winning the award for the best point guard in the country before he was selected in the first round. Wouldn't surprise me to see Paige keep up the trend before he leaves, either.

And I already posted the 5 star big stat on last year's observation thread. Think it was every 5 star big under Roy has ended up a lottery pick, except Tyler Zeller, who went 17th overall. That so happens to be every UNC post starter, other than Jawad Williams and Deon Thompson. Jawad had a stint in the NBA with the Cavs and Deon probably the best opportunity any player could have asked for. Eased in as a freshman on an E8 team, starter on F4 team next to the NPOY, starter on a championship team next to the same player, and then he had the chance to be the #1b option as a senior, playing alongside another future lottery pick big. IMO, he had his college ceiling reached.

In fact, there have been only 3 players I felt didn't end up close to the where they should have been by the they left for NBA, transferred, or graduated: Ed Davis, Larry Drew, and Dexter Strickland. Of course, Davis missed half his sophomore year with an injury. Likely James Michael McAdoo will be added to the list, unless he returns for his senior year and erupts into a star.

Based on all that rambling and the proven team success under Roy, I think one could deduce that the system isn't the problem. My opinion.

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Great buzzer beater from Shabazz Napier to get the win over Florida.

Patric Young has had the build of an NBA player since his freshman year but he hasn't improved all that much over the past few years. Pretty disappointing from an NBA standpoint.
    Was in front row of the student section, Gampel was rocking. Best game I've ever attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    hows Tokoto been this season? Haven't seen UNC play at all
    Decent. Has shown his excellent athleticism on both ends of the floor, above average handle and playmaking ability. Also has shown his lack of a jumper and surprisingly low basketball IQ at times. He's had some unbelievable plays this year. Had this incredible crossover, which dropped the defender to his knees before his hit a jumper. Haven't seen a UNC player do that in forever. Last game he snatched a shot out of mid air like Wilt Chamberlain. He also can't seem to make a free throw and he would lead the country in airballs if McAdoo didn't exist.

He's kind of become the fan whipping boy. Which is completely unfair, because I'm pretty sure nearly everyone is taking their frustrations about PJ out in verbal diarrhea over the poor guy.

He shouldn't be starting right now, though. He also shouldn't be the starter next year with Justin Jackson coming in.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Was in front row of the student section, Gampel was rocking. Best game I've ever attended.
    That is awesome. My friend was at the game and posted a video of the buzzer beater

Anyone down to predict the ACC/Big 10 winners? Predicting is hard (and doesn't really suggest ones knowledge accurately) so I'm not gonna take this as some competition, but just for fun.

Syracuse over Indiana
    Illinois over Georgia Tech
    Penn St over Pitt (going on a limb here)
    Duke over Michigan
    Iowa over ND
    Minny over FSU
    Ohio St over Maryland
    Virginia over Wisconsin
    NC State over Northwestern
    Michigan St over North Carolina
    Purdue over Boston College
    Nebraska over Miami

Somehow that makes it 8-4 for the Big 10, but I see it being closer. The games between lesser teams can go either way.

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Cuse,Illinois, Pitt, home team Duke/Mich, ND, Minny, OSU, Wisconsin, NC State, MSU, BC, Miami.

Apparently Duke paid the refs tonight.

I so bad want to be at least a little bit confident about tonight's game. But after going to UAB and losing while playing two of the most incompetent halves of basketball I've ever seen under Roy Williams, I think I'm more confident in that UNC will lose by 20-30 tonight than I am that they'll be competitive.

Shit...that Keith Appling injury looked bad.

Well, we played above our heads for about 15 minutes but now the home crowd effect and Michigan States superior talent are setting in. Figured it was only a matter of time until they got back in the game, just wish we could've held them off a little bit until the second half.