Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2010/11 Observation Deck

When someone figures Tennesse out, let me know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    When someone figures Tennesse out, let me know.
    I'm confused as well

Banned

What you talking bout Willis?:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-vegas-drought

BYU's Jimmer Fredette shuts up UNLV's Tre'von Willis with 39 points.....LOL

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Kanter's permanently ineligible, again

Anybody have some good recommendations for college bball books?

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Read this one most recently (for a 2nd time)

Cinderella: Inside the Rise of Mid-Major College Basketball

I've read 4 or 5 different books that are UNC related. I don't know your personal feelings towards UNC, but these two are pretty good.

Blue Streak: The highs, lows, and behind the scenes hijinks of a national champion

I loved every page of it because it gave so much inside and behind the scenes info on the players and certain games. Some funny stories in there too. But, if you're not a UNC fan, then you're probably going to get bored pretty quickly, and it's a long book.

Blue Blood, Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops

To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever: A Thoroughly Obsessive, Intermittently Uplifting, and Occasionally Unbiased Account of the Duke-North Carolina Basketball Rivalry

Those two are really good, and I think even non-UNC but big college hoops fans would enjoy them. Blue Bloods is more about the history of the Duke/UNC rivalry, but does lead up to and end with UNC's 2005 season. "To Hate Like This is to be Happy Forever" is my personal favorite out of any of them. It's sort of about the Duke/UNC rivalry, but it's the author's first hand account and personal stories (he's a UNC grad so it's slanted). Much like Blue Streak, it kind of gives a behind the scenes following of the 2005 UNC team.

Again, I wouldn't recommend those unless you're just dying to read up on UNC and the UNC/Duke rivalry.
    Last edited by KG215; 01-08-2011 at 02:48 AM.

JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY JohnWall2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Read this one most recently (for a 2nd time)

I've read 4 or 5 different books that are UNC related. I don't know your personal feelings towards UNC, but these two are pretty good.

I loved every page of it because it gave so much inside and behind the scenes info on the players and certain games. Some funny stories in there too. But, if you're not a UNC fan, then you're probably going to get bored pretty quickly, and it's a long book.

Those two are really good, and I think even non-UNC but big college hoops fans would enjoy them. Blue Bloods is more about the history of the Duke/UNC rivalry, but does lead up to and end with UNC's 2005 season. "To Hate Like This is to be Happy Forever" is my personal favorite out of any of them. It's sort of about the Duke/UNC rivalry, but it's the author's first hand account and personal stories (he's a UNC grad so it's slanted). Much like Blue Streak, it kind of gives a behind the scenes following of the 2005 UNC team.

Again, I wouldn't recommend those unless you're just dying to read up on UNC and the UNC/Duke rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246

Now, for some non-UNC related books that I've read, really enjoyed.

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Brink-J.../dp/0671688774
    A Season on the Brink

Doesn't exactly portray Bob Knight in the best light, though. And I've come to respect him a lot since he's retired from coaching. When this book was written and his really crazy antics were happening, I was either not alive, or too young to remember them.

http://www.amazon.com/March-Madness-.../dp/0316277126
    A March to Madness: A View from the Floor in the Atlantic Coast Conference

Another Feinstein book. Again, I'm a fan of an ACC school and this book appealed to me more than it might you.

Raw Recruits
    I was digging around at a used book store in the $2.00 bin and came across this book. Thought what the hell, it's 2 bucks. Bought, read it, and loved it. It tells stories of stuff that was going on when I was barely born, but still kind of neat to read about some of the dirty recruiting antics that were really going on at that time.

And last, but certainly not least...
    http://www.amazon.com/They-Call-Coac.../dp/0071424911
    They Call Me Coach

Those are from my personal library. Over the last 4 or 5 years I've really put some effort into putting together a nice little "sports books" library. My collection isn't that big or anything, but I've got those 8 books that are college hoops related, and another 7 or 8 that are NBA related. Think I've got 3 or 4 that are baseball related. For whatever reason, I don't have any that are football related even though I'm a big football fan. Sports book collecting or whatever has become a hobby for me. I do some digging and research on these books before I buy them. Haven't been disappointed but maybe 1 or 2 times so far.
    Last edited by KG215; 01-08-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Some of it is fairly remedial for a hardcore hoops fan, but Brian Curtis' "The Men of March" is pretty good. He followed Bill Self, Steve Lavin, Steve Alford and Mike Brey for the entire 2001-02 season (in addition to interviewing about every relevant coach in college basketball at some point or another).

And if you can find a copy of Mitch Albom's "Fab Five" anywhere I'd recommend that, too. It's been out of print for over a decade. Mitch Albom is a complete tool and it's funny how much shit in that book was either incorrect or just flat-out lies in retrospect. I wish I still had my copy.

And while it's about high school hoops, "The Miracle of St. Anthony" by Adrian Wojnarowski is maybe the best sports book I've ever read.

EDIT: "The Jump: Sebastian Telfair and the High-Stakes Business of High School Ball," by Ian O'Connor is also excellent. It's kinda college basketball-related since his recruitment to Louisville is a constant theme.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 01-08-2011 at 05:30 AM.

^ i need to get a hold of da telfair one

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Some of it is fairly remedial for a hardcore hoops fan, but Brian Curtis' "The Men of March" is pretty good. He followed Bill Self, Steve Lavin, Steve Alford and Mike Brey for the entire 2001-02 season (in addition to interviewing about every relevant coach in college basketball at some point or another).

And if you can find a copy of Mitch Albom's "Fab Five" anywhere I'd recommend that, too. It's been out of print for over a decade. Mitch Albom is a complete tool and it's funny how much shit in that book was either incorrect or just flat-out lies in retrospect. I wish I still had my copy.

And while it's about high school hoops, "The Miracle of St. Anthony" by Adrian Wojnarowski is maybe the best sports book I've ever read.

EDIT: "The Jump: Sebastian Telfair and the High-Stakes Business of High School Ball," by Ian O'Connor is also excellent. It's kinda college basketball-related since his recruitment to Louisville is a constant theme.
    I have that book.

That Telfair book is excellent.

I'll have to try some of those. Does anyone else feel like they've been hearing the names Truck Bryant and Joe Mazulla for about 7 years now?

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    That Telfair book is excellent.
    more reason y i need 2 get it

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Michigan St loses to Penn St
    Mizzou going down at Colorado
    Tennessee trailing late at Arkansas

Upset saturday. Hopefully Cal has us focused for Georgia.
    Last edited by ukfan22; 01-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.