Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Durant vs George Gervin

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster24
    Ok, be honest every1. How many of you guys were actually older than 7 years old when this guy played in his prime. Cuz ppl always compare older players and i guaran-fukin-tee that very few ppl on this website ever watched a live game of bill russell. Everyone acts like they know everybody though.

Like honestly Russell prolly quit playing prolly b4 the 70s. Youd have to be 40 to be alive and 45-50 years old (at the very least, I didn't start watchin basketball on a regular basis until i was like 11), and I know there aren't a bunch of fugin 50 year olds on here callin each dick sucking trolls and shit.
    Well jlauber has said he's like 50 or something.

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    How is that domination across the board? Gervin clearly scored 3 more PPG, only attempted 2-3 more shots, and shot a 53% FG%.

Sure Durant has a better TS%, but uh, you forget that when you brick more shots, the other team rebounds the ball more and gets a chance to score. TS% doesn't factor the extra possessions for the other team in, which = not a good stat to bring out. 3pt shots especially lead to the most defensive rebounds of any shot.

All of Durant's extra bricked shots cancel out his extra couple rebounds since he bricks a couple more shots per game (takes 2 more threes per game which = high chance of possession change)

Durant might become better than Gervin, but right now he isn't. At all.
    Gervin averaged exactly 3 more ppg on 4.6 more FGA.

Considering Durant averaged 1.5 PPS last season, give him 4.6 more FGA and he's at 37.0 ppg. Sure Durant averaged 2.6 more FTA but that averages out to roughly 1.1 FGA.

So you can give Gervin 33.1 ppg on 23.8 FGA. That's less than 1.4 PPS which is vastly inferior to Durant's absurd 1.5.

And if you really want to break it down then Durant holds far superior edges in term's of posessions gained due to his ability to draw fouls and his greater rebounding, fewer pf's, assist %, etc.

Durant is clearly the superior offensive player which is expressed through all of the advanced stats. Defense you don't even need stats, but Durant has a 104 PP100 D vs Gervin's 110 which concludes Durant destroys him on defense.

I'm sorry but Durant was better than Gervin this past season. It's no different from saying 3rd year Shaq was better than someone like Elvin Hayes.

Does that mean Durant ranks higher on the all time list than Gervin? No, but he was better in year 3 than Gervin ever was. Just as LeBron was probably a top 10 player all time last season but you won't find him close to top 10 lists all time currently.

3-time NBA All-Star

I don't think anyone here is going to say that Durant won't have a HOF career. Barring injury, and more than likely he will dust Gervin and many others by the time his career is over. However, as Kizzle alluded to, many thought McGrady and Wade, among other's, were going to be racking up sensational numbers every year, too.

Wilt, Kareem, and MJ all had their finest scoring seasons in their third years. Granted, they were all older than Durant in his third season. But, none of them kept putting up bigger scoring seasons. And, obviously, that didn't diminish the rest of the careers. But it does show that nothing is guaranteed. Durant will almost surely become an even better player, but he may never taste 30 ppg again, either.

In any case, Gervin was one of the greatest "scorers" in NBA history. And it is simply not fair to him to state that Durant, after only one really outstanding season, is/was a better scorer than Gervin. He may very well go on to average 35+ ppg over several seasons. But let's at least wait until he has some of them under his belt first.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I see a prime tmac/Dirk hybrid which is what everyone thougt he'd be.

Mcgrady was a scoring champ. Durant is a big though with a 3 point stroke. He can put the ball on the floor though, more like tmac than Dirk.

I don't know much about gervin. But Durant is one hell of a shooter.
    Durant isn't a big man. He's a 6'9"/6'10" small forward who actually started at shooting guard in his rookie season and part of his second year. He's not like Dirk who posts up more, but is less athletic than Durant and less perimeter-oriented. Durant also doesn't have the athleticism of prime T-Mac or anywhere near the passing/playmaking skills.

Banned

Robinson>Ewing
    Dirk>Dwight
    Whoever I say > Whatever ShaqAttack says
    Russell > Shaq

TS%? The Iceman excelled in a more physical era that featured less spacing. His scoring numbers are remarkable when you factor in his less reliance on the 3 point shot, hand checking, his slight frame, and fewer bail out calls that were given during his day. Kevin will need five more years like the last before I put him in the class of Gervin.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    Robinson>Ewing
    Dirk>Dwight
    Whoever I say > Whatever ShaqAttack says
    Russell > Shaq
    what a troll.

Dwight>>Yao

You didn't watch Ewing or Robinson play well maybe '03 Robinson.

Go watch the footage of Russell that's available and then watch some 2000 or 2001 Shaq games and then try saying that with a straight face.

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Durant isn't a big man. He's a 6'9"/6'10" small forward who actually started at shooting guard in his rookie season and part of his second year. He's not like Dirk who posts up more, but is less athletic than Durant and less perimeter-oriented. Durant also doesn't have the athleticism of prime T-Mac or anywhere near the passing/playmaking skills.
    Durant is 6'11 in shoes with a 7'5" wingspan

KG was 7' with a 7'4" wingspan

They both weigh about the same and have identical body types. I guess KG was a sg?

Durant has had one good season. Gervin had many. I don't doubt that KD will continue to improve and put up ridiculous numbers, but what if(a huge hypothetical what if) he gets injured or something and doesn't pan out like he should? Are you still gonna say "well in that one season he put up better stats so he must be automatically without a doubt better"? Give KD his time before saying he's "clearly" better than a legend. He's fricking 21 years old.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bucks_ole
    Durant has had one good season. Gervin had many. I don't doubt that KD will continue to improve and put up ridiculous numbers, but what if(a huge hypothetical what if) he gets injured or something and doesn't pan out like he should? Are you still gonna say "well in that one season he put up better stats so he must be automatically without a doubt better"? Give KD his time before saying he's "clearly" better than a legend. He's fricking 21 years old.

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

Quote Originally Posted by bucks_ole
    No I would say Durant at his best, 3rd season, was better than a prime Gervin. Just as many people say McGrady in that 32 ppg season was better than several prime players who rank far ahead of him on the all time list.

Noone is saying Durant deserves to be ranked ahead of him on the all time list. But 3rd year Durant was better than a prime Gervin. He could take a giant step back in year 4 like LeBron did, so who knows if it will continue. But in year 3 he was better than Gervin ever was.

Basically if Durant put up 10 straight seasons of exactly what he just did he would be a top 15 player all time based on every advanced metric.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    what a troll.

Dwight>>Yao

You didn't watch Ewing or Robinson play well maybe '03 Robinson.

Go watch the footage of Russell that's available and then watch some 2000 or 2001 Shaq games and then try saying that with a straight face.
    Ok...

Russell>Shaq.

*straight face*

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Durant got even better as time went on. He improved on his passing skills and defense, but now he is one of the most efficient scorers the league has ever seen at this time.

I do remember Gervin did commented on how Durant's game resemble his own a little bit. I don't see it tho. Gervin seemed to have better footwork and operated in the post, using his length to his advantage. Gervin could play off the ball and catch and shoot from the couple of games that I saw, but it's only a couple so I cannot say that much on his style.

And while Durant did get better in the post, his footwork isn't Gervin imo. But KD use his length and height to advantage and nobody could stop him. Both are scoring machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Durant got even better as time went on. He improved on his passing skills and defense, but now he is one of the most efficient scorers the league has ever seen at this time.

I do remember Gervin did commented on how Durant's game resemble his own a little bit. I don't see it tho. Gervin seemed to have better footwork and operated in the post, using his length to his advantage. Gervin could play off the ball and catch and shoot from the couple of games that I saw, but it's only a couple so I cannot say that much on his style.

And while Durant did get better in the post, his footwork isn't Gervin imo. But KD use his length and height to advantage and nobody could stop him. Both are scoring machines.
    Everything else you posted I agree with, and don't even disagree with the bold. But you're making it sound like Durant doesn't or isn't capable of playing off the ball and scoring in catch and shoot situations. One thing that I think makes him different than someone like Kobe or LeBron is that he's such a good scorer while playing off the ball so much. Granted his usage has gone up this year, but he's still shown to be an extremely good off-ball player/scorer.

Local High School Star

I was about to question your sanity for some of the statements in the OP, but then I realized this thread was from 2010.

Durant this season is clearly better than Gervin ever was.