Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Default You're the president/ruler of a brand new country

Just thought it'd be a cool topic. So, you're the ruler of a new country. Has multiple climates, resources, etc. A smaller US basically.

- There's nothing there. So you're starting from scratch.
    - You have plenty of money to be able to start building.
    - Population of 10,000
    - What do you do? And by that I mean what kind of government do you instill, education system, other laws? A platform for creative and free thinking basically.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Default Re: You're the president/ruler of a brand new country

too complicated.. are the people educated or aborigines? Is my authority secured?

- establish and secure my reign

- lay down the law

- build a military force to secure and enforce the above

- get myself some hot concubines

- if I'm not under influence of the outside world I'd probably choose dictatorship.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    too complicated.. are the people educated or aborigines? Is my authority secured?

- establish and secure my reign

- lay down the law

- build a military force to secure and enforce the above

- get myself some hot concubines

- if I'm not under influence of the outside world I'd probably choose dictatorship.
    It's your own island. Nobody is going to be attacking you while you establish yourself. It's your average day people too, and yes you were chosen as the sole leader. Doesn't mean someone won't attempt to overthrow you though.

Establish strong military. Has to be a dictatorship at the start with me holding most of the power to a point where the country is established enough. Taxes go to said military and education programs. Then I hire someone who knows how to run a country to advise me. Eventually, I establish a more democratic country but at this point, I should be so popular that I won't lose till I die

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

You need to secure the safety of you and your people. If I've learned anything from watching shows and films of a new community is that's usually the last priority and they usually get f*cked.

Selecting the people for defense is priority number one.
    While your defense is being established you want to get shelter and food. Because defense is the top priority it doesn't mean that everything has to stop, so you want to start taking the proper steps.

I suppose those are the most important.

Out of that comes people's jobs, you find out people's strengths and weaknesses. As the selection process goes on leaders will emerge, people that will be dependable, trustworthy, capable, smart. You will also notice those that may be an issue down the road.

Democracy is NOT gonna be implemented from day 1. it has to evolve otherwise there won't be order or respect. Leadership has to be established, YES people's opinions need to be taken into consideration but only on a selective basis. A democracy can be implemented as the community matures and a system is set in place.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Establish strong military. Has to be a dictatorship at the start with me holding most of the power to a point where the country is established enough. Taxes go to said military and education programs. Then I hire someone who knows how to run a country to advise me. Eventually, I establish a more democratic country but at this point, I should be so popular that I won't lose till I die
    This

food is the number one priority. next would be stability. you only really worry about national security once your country is rich enough for it to be an attractive conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    Just thought it'd be a cool topic. So, you're the ruler of a new country. Has multiple climates, resources, etc. A smaller US basically.

- There's nothing there. So you're starting from scratch.
    - You have plenty of money to be able to start building.
    - Population of 10,000
    - What do you do? And by that I mean what kind of government do you instill, education system, other laws? A platform for creative and free thinking basically.
    You might want to take a look at the multiple Nation-State Drafts here on ISH.

Create twelve districts. These districts will be sorted in descending order of wealth, so district 6 is poorer than district 5. District 9 is kept separate (just in case aliens come along). Obviously, to keep the people entertained, I'll have to put on a reality tv show where teenagers kill each other, since that obviously gets the highest ratings.

And Jennifer Lawrence will be be living in district 1.

On a more serious note, if you've got resources, got to use them carefully. The rule of law must be established first, with a law book as the highest authority in the land. The police will have to be strict, but to prevent corruption, the police and army chiefs have to change every 4 years. Then invest in the people, form tight education programmes that can compete with the rest of the world. Natural resources will be placed into a sovereign fund (this is where the rule of law is important cause of corruption), foreign firms invited to join in, but require X% to be placed into the fund to build infrastructure for the whole place. Build up the internet system, and try to establish a bit of a tax haven as well.
    Last edited by brantonli; 01-09-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

First of all, do a tally of all the human resources that the country has, is the population educated? What are their professions? Discover the strengths and weaknesses of the future economy, what do we need to import/export, etc. Then use the cash i have to build infrastructure adequate to the strengths and weaknesses discovered.

Second, institute a rule of law and democracy (should be easy to win if i am already the leader and hold all the money). Police should be created to enforce the law.

Third, use tax incentives and public money to bring foreign researchers/programmers/companies to the island, and try to become a high end technology producer because it has the most aggregate-value.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

1) Do everything to consolidate my power and make the peasants worship me. Yea, we all want a democracy and freedom but no man is willing to let down power because power = everything.
    2) Build a small city near the beach along with a nice resort to draw tourists in. Once tourists are coming in more capital will be coming in and infrastructure of the country will eventually be built(Small airport, road, public transport)
    3) Education is strictly propaganda to worship the dictator and how to be a good person.
    4) Create some solar panels or other methods of "green" energy.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Population of 10 000, but has multiple climates and recourses? wtf

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

i would start to impreginate

Banned

I would model my society on Ancient Sparta. Cull the weak and stupid, train them early to do something useful where they wont get in the way, like digging sewage drains or coal mining. Train the rest for elitism from a young age, not just military and athletics wise though. The intellectual genius kids for example would be fast tracked early and put in to intensive genius school.