Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default Re: My Crazy Mock 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm totally with you on Payne. I have Payne going higher in both versions of this than I see him in a lot of other mocks. And I like him a ton more than seems the norm on my side. And I feel like if he does fall to some of the lower playoff teams, either out of the lottery, or in the lottery if they own a traded pick, he makes a ton of sense for a team that's already established.

I do disagree about Randle though. He's got a few flaws for sure. I'm particularly concerned on the defensive end. But while Derrick Williams was sort of an oversized three who seemed to benefit from a hot shooting streak, a classic tweener who really wasn't going to be able to defend either position, and then really bottomed out when it turned out his jumper was fools gold, and he was totally in no man's land.

Randolf to me has a few things you can hang your hat on. I truely believe he'll rebound no matter what. The post game may be a touch to lefty heavy, so I could see that not developing as people may want, but he's got that, and a few ball skills. To me he's more of a small four, where Williams was a big three.

The guy I'm most worried about in that tweener mold is Aaron Gordon. Obviously the plus plus athleticism helps, but he's got less ball skill than Derrick Williams had. There's not even the illusion of shooting we got from Williams' hot shooting three point season (one thing I think is overlooked about college is that the season is 30 games, so a season of shooting 40% from three is really just a nice run as a pro. It really can be a season long streak in college). Gordon isn't nearly as strong, and probably not quite as long as Randle, and to me just won't hold up as a PF. He to me is the classic tweener.

Thanks for reading.
    what worries me about randle is from what ive seen he is basically like a bull inside but he uses tons of energy and i dont know if he can do that for like 7-10 years atleast . He is often compared to Z-bo but his length also bothers me . there are times that he got out muscled by some guys in college makes me think what he would do against guys like griffin, anthony davis, thompson, love, monroe, horford will he still dominate? i dont know but hey if thomas robinson was worth the lottery why not randle .. i just dont think that he would be a franchise player as what others thinks about him. i maybe wrong though

Banned

Great mock draft

I didn't see cleanthony early mentioned in the 1st round though, I had him going to the celtics with their 17th pick, but I also seen mock drafts with him going early 2nd round, I think he is a major sleeper in this draft

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Damn bro did you write all of that? Wow

I have to say man... You did a fantastic job

I would definitely rep you if we still had rep

Thanks. This is the third one of these I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    Great mock draft

I didn't see cleanthony early mentioned in the 1st round though, I had him going to the celtics with their 17th pick, but I also seen mock drafts with him going early 2nd round, I think he is a major sleeper in this draft

Thanks man ...

I bring Early up a few times as a possibility, but on neither side do I ever pull the trigger. There's some things to like about him for sure.

I have him sort of tied up with Jeremi Grant, both guys to me are tweeners between the forward spots. Early has some extra ball skills, and may be able to better fit in a natural SF. The athleticism is great, and he can catch and shoot, and make some decent decisions, but by all accounts and based on what I saw in the few games I did see this year, he's all lane filler, not really comfortable handling the ball at all. So if he is gonna play SF, it's gotta be all catch and shoot. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe like a Quincey Pondexter type, but a little bigger.

Grant I think is just enough taller, and just enough longer, and just enough more athletic, and just enough younger you can project a little more growth out of him, that he may be a more natural fit as an athletic, slightly undersized PF. A guy who can work the offensive glass, and score by beating other bigs in transition. Sort of like what Thad Young is.

Personally I just feel like teams in the market for that type of player are going to probably choose Grant's physical upside, in part because I think Early's advantage in ball skills isn't as great as it seems, because the handle just isn't super. But I could certainly be wrong.

I think it was one of the Suns picks where I'm considering the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I like your think draft better than your would draft for the Sixers. I think Jabari looks to be in better shape than he was at Duke and can split time at the 3/4 in the NBA. Also, I don't think you can discount the whole 4 time city/state champ thing in the best HS basketball area in the country. The Sixers were a young team that you could see deflate and develop bad habits by the end of the year. A young leader like Jabari is exactly the kind of centerpiece the team needs. I used to be more sold on Wiggins for Philly but I've come around. Don't know a ton about Saric but from everything I've seen/read I'd like the pick. Big, skilled euro who can play a couple positions.

edit - for the record, I'd rather have Wiggins but I've talked myself into being indifferent when/if Wiggins goes #2.

I agree with you about Payne being slept on probably just due to his age. You would think people would be less susceptible to that mistake after seeing Lillard but group psychology is always nebulous and silly. I definitely don't see Hinkie grabbing him because he isn't really positioning Philly to compete for another 2-3 years. I think CHI might be the perfect landing spot altho I think he would be fun to see on Phoenix. I would secretly love to see him paired with Big Al in Charlotte too. He would help space the floor and maybe work some high-low action with those two.

I've got a question for you. How would you feel for the Sixers if by some chance Embiid was the guy who fell to three?

To me the drop off is too extreme from those top three guys. I suppose they could decide they love Exum enough it's a close enough call. But I couldn't do that.

Would you take Embiid and try to play a twin towers with Noel. Noel is not a great interior offensive player, so he probably wouldn't get in his way a ton on offense. But he also doesn't stretch the floor at all. You could theoritically go as small as you want on the perimeter to do whatever you need to to space the floor around them, because you should be able to cover defensively. Could Noel step out to defend some of the rangier PFs? Can he do enough to punish those PFs on the other end via post ups and on the glass to make up for what you may give up?

I was fascinated by the notion of a Anthony Davis / Noel frontcourt for a brief second. But that felt like a better fit. Although both were a little light in the shorts to handle real post players, they fit together better on the other end to me because of Davis' more rounded out skillset.

Obviously Davis/Embiid would be the best permutation. But that's not real life.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    Great mock draft

Yes that is right Early is indeed a sleeper together with paine...

Early will shock a lot of people dude is a baller ... he is like a more consistent jeff green ...

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    Yes that is right Early is indeed a sleeper together with paine...

Early will shock a lot of people dude is a baller ... he is like a more consistent jeff green ...

Jeff Green is pretty solid comp for Early. Similar in that they're both sort of between SF and PF. Both make up for size disadvantage at PF with athleticism. They use the athleticism to defend well. Both can stretch the floor some with their jumpers, but both are just a little too limited handling the ball to really play SF full time.
    Right now I'd say the only thing is Jeff Green is bigger. He's worked himself into his role at this point in his career. He's bulked up so he can defend bigger fours when he has too. Will Early do that, or even can he, is the type of question execs get paid to figure out. Or can he improve his handle enough to become a legit starting SF. I do like Early. I'd be thrilled to get him at the top of the second round.

Facts Are Misleading

Payne is going to be a quality player. He may "only" be 6'9 but his 7'4 wingspan makes him play bigger than that listed height.

I think he deserves to go in the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I've got a question for you. How would you feel for the Sixers if by some chance Embiid was the guy who fell to three?

To me the drop off is too extreme from those top three guys. I suppose they could decide they love Exum enough it's a close enough call. But I couldn't do that.

Would you take Embiid and try to play a twin towers with Noel. Noel is not a great interior offensive player, so he probably wouldn't get in his way a ton on offense. But he also doesn't stretch the floor at all. You could theoritically go as small as you want on the perimeter to do whatever you need to to space the floor around them, because you should be able to cover defensively. Could Noel step out to defend some of the rangier PFs? Can he do enough to punish those PFs on the other end via post ups and on the glass to make up for what you may give up?

I was fascinated by the notion of a Anthony Davis / Noel frontcourt for a brief second. But that felt like a better fit. Although both were a little light in the shorts to handle real post players, they fit together better on the other end to me because of Davis' more rounded out skillset.

Obviously Davis/Embiid would be the best permutation. But that's not real life.
    Absolutely. In fact, I was hoping we would get #1 and take Embiid. I see Noel being a Tyson Chandler type big who is a rim runner and screener almost exclusively so it wouldn't be a huge spacing issue imo. It could even be effective if Noel develops into a good cutter because of Embiid's passing. It's at the very least workable imo. Pair that with the massive flexibility it gives on defense. Those two plus MCW allow you to do almost anything on the wings. Gary Harris' size is no longer a concern so maybe you feel better taking him or Stauskus becomes a non-liability on D if they are into him.

I think it'd be a fascinating experiment and in the end and effective one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Absolutely. In fact, I was hoping we would get #1 and take Embiid. I see Noel being a Tyson Chandler type big who is a rim runner and screener almost exclusively so it wouldn't be a huge spacing issue imo. It could even be effective if Noel develops into a good cutter because of Embiid's passing. It's at the very least workable imo. Pair that with the massive flexibility it gives on defense. Those two plus MCW allow you to do almost anything on the wings. Gary Harris' size is no longer a concern so maybe you feel better taking him or Stauskus becomes a non-liability on D if they are into him.

I think it'd be a fascinating experiment and in the end and effective one.

I totally agree. It would be great to see someone really try it. You could run all sorts of high low with Noel being a bounce from the hoop, and it wouldn't affect spacing, and I would get my hands on as many pick and roll type players as I could, focusing on SGs like Gary Harris, who has some playmaking, and just run the two bigs in various PnR variations all over the court. Hard dives from Noel clearing, with Embiid coming in behind that at the front of the rim.
    My big concern would be Noel dealing with teams doing things like playing Shane Battier at PF. As good a defender as I believe he'll be, I'm not sure he could chanse guys stretching the floor. And even if he does, that's gonna cost you a lot of his value anyway. And I'm not sure you can punish teams by doing that because of how limited he is offensively. Can he punish those players on the glass. Can he defend Jeff Green at PF? Chandler Parsons? How about even David West?

But I'm with you, I would love to see it tried. Highly unlikely we'll get the chance though.

Warren would be an awesome pick up for the Clippers at 28. Have him on my six guys to watch for.

I do also think Austin would be a phenomenal pick-up for the Clips, though they may be able to acquire a 2nd around 37-45 and get him there, while still snagging Warren at 28.

Noel should start out at pf. For his own development if nothing else. Getting him used to the nba by being outsized every single night isn't a way to build success for that guy. It's a way to break him. Maybe long term he ends up a c but it shouldn't be the only option.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Much love Thorpe! Always with the good write ups!

For the bulls.. 16,19, 49. I'm going all old..

16. Adrien Payne. I love this pick, great value here, reminds me of taj Gibson as well.

19. Cleanthony early. To me he has late lottery talent and will thrive in thibs system.

49. Deandre Kane. I think this kid is gonna be a super sleeper in this years draft and I have no idea why.

I really love the second round talents as we'll.. Some names I'd like to throw out is.. Mitch mcgary, nick Johnson, laquinton ross, Markel brown, James mcadoo, Sean kilpatrick, Roy Devin marble, jahii carson, jordair jett. LOADED!

I'll be interested to see where Kane goes in the draft. He is older but also ready to contribute quickly because he has an NBA ready body and a versatile skill set. I think he could be good for a number of teams who lack quality guards.

My fondness for Isiah Austin went out the window yesterday. That's a sad story.

And obviously my unanimous feeling for Embiid going first has taken a hit.

May get Embiid going to Phili after all. Or we may see the Sixers move up and the Cavs move back. It seems to me Embiid even with the injuries is the best fit for Cleveland. So I'm not sure which of those three fell to them at 3 if it got them an extra lottery pick this year. Philly seems to have a real hard on for Wiggins.