Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Humanity's Origin Debate: Bill Nye (Evolution) vs. Ken Ham (Creationism)

Default Re: Humanity's Origin Debate: Bill Nye (Evolution) vs. Ken Ham (Creationism)

Click on link, it says the debate will beginning in 11 minutes even though it started at 7PM EST. I'm guessing they're replaying it. I'll tune in incase any of it is interesting.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Humanity's Origin Debate: Bill Nye (Evolution) vs. Ken Ham (Creationism)

I watched bits of it. It was ok. The young earth creationist debate is too ridiculous to even pay attention to anymore.

   

i suppose this kind of debate has some use for teenagers.

meanwhile, the vast majority of people over a certain age have long ago decided how they want to evaluate the issue... as in, reason vs. psychological need.

Earned not given

30 minutes into the replay and I feel Bill Nye already won haha. Still watching.

Ham is simply a bible-nut.

Case in point:
    Ham was asked what evidence he has other than bible. I was curious what he would say. He played around the question for over a full minute (2 min limit) before he asks for that question to be repeated. Then he responds the question with more, more & more bible. Ham responds further by saying "We weren't there so we cannot prove other [scenarios]." I guess the word of god in bible doesn't require anyone to be there. That's the only "evidence" he has.

We do not have to be there to prove something. We do not need to have a human record of the tree 9,600 years ago to know that it is 9,600 years old. Evidence (tree rings) speaks for itself.

If we had to be there to prove it, I would ask him this: we were not there when god created light & adam and eve. Using his logic, we cannot prove that god created light or the stars.
    Last edited by bladefd; 02-05-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    i didnt watch it, probably will later

but does Ken talk about Noah's ark at all in the debate?
    Yes. Quite a bit actually. He tries to refute the fossil evidence that Billnye points out multiple times with the bible. Bible is all Ham has as evidence.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    This is my case and point.

From the debate Ham used scientific data to help support him, but the second you hear the word Bible everything he said previously just went right out the window.
    Have you actually watched the whole debate?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Evolution cannot be proven. The Evolutionist uses the same "blind faith" the Creationist does. Interpretation of both is key here to forming your judgment.

We cannot create life here on Earth from nothing, and science cannot prove that life was created from something else. Just because you dug up a rock and found a fossil doesn't mean that some sort of evolutionary process took place explaining the mere existence of at least humanity's presence. Our presence here on Earth is still very much unknown.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

From the debate Ham used scientific data to help support him, but the second you hear the word Bible everything he said previously just went right out the window.

But you're discrediting what he is saying, the science he is showing you, based on your preconceived belief that Bible is rubbish and doesn't account for anything historical. How did you get to that point in believing that Bible was rubbish is what I'd like to know. Aside from the obvious "miracles" that Jesus performed that people like you I'm sure will never believe, there is actual science in the Bible that no man past or present can discredit.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Evolution cannot be proven. The Evolutionist uses the same "blind faith" the Creationist does. Interpretation of both is key here to forming your judgment.

We cannot create life here on Earth from nothing, and science cannot prove that life was created from something else. Just because you dug up a rock and found a fossil doesn't mean that some sort of evolutionary process took place explaining the mere existence of at least humanity's presence. Our presence here on Earth is still very much unknown.
    Yea actually the chemical reactions that got life started have been explained... And you are right it doesn't get started from nothing. You need ingredients... and we had them. Evolution was simply the process after that. It's all laid out there with a gazillion experiments and observations from a ton of people to back it up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i suppose this kind of debate has some use for teenagers.

meanwhile, the vast majority of people over a certain age have long ago decided how they want to evaluate the issue... as in, reason vs. psychological need.
    Basically.

What next, a debate on what causes thunder & lightning- electrostatic discharge or Zeus being pissed off?

It's 2014 for ****'s sake

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    dawg, u cant prove zeus ISN'T real

i win
    Damn. Caught me slippin. I yield.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Basically.

What next, a debate on what causes thunder & lightning- electrostatic discharge or Zeus being pissed off?

It's 2014 for ****'s sake
    You can't prove the spaghetti monster doesn't exist.

I win.

Earned not given

My opinion?

I believe in God.

But the bible was written by man and man is not without sin. So how can everything in the bible be 100% creditable?
    Boom, roasted.