Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star ChrisKreager's Avatar

Default Missed shots that could have altered NBA history

Sometimes, it is a single shot that can alter the course of what is to come in basketball.

A shot made or missed can have a short and long term affect on what happens.

I'll start with one that could have made things interesting:

Game 5, 1995 Rockets/Suns

Phoenix is up 3-1 in the series. Tie game, 8 seconds left.

Wesley Person puts up a 3 that was in-and-out, goes to overtime.

Of course, we all know what happened from there, as the '95 Rockets proved to be the all-time 'You can't kill us no matter what' team.

But think about the ramifications if Person's shot goes in:

Houston doesn't repeat as champs. How is Hakeem viewed with only one ring, or Clyde Drexler with zero rings?

San Antonio- If they draw Phoenix instead of Houston, do they still win that West Finals? Does Barkley do to David Robinson what Hakeem did?

Orlando- If they face the Suns or Spurs in the NBA Finals, what happens?

Default Re: Missed shots that could have altered NBA history

Jordan's last shot as a Bull.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

game 6 rockets/knicks final

john starks shoots what could have been the game and series winning shot...pick and role.....ewing picked max or kenny...and starks got a wide open look..UNTIL..dream reached out and altered the shot(nicked his hand)

dream is only center in history who could have made that play..

if the shot drops..Ewing is seen as a top tier center.....and perhaps Dream isn't elevated to the stature that he is....

Nick Anderson FT's at the end of 95 Finals G1.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    Nick Anderson FT's at the end of 95 Finals G1.

jordan put a hex on him for picking his pocket in the number 45 and then chirping about it

Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    jordan put a hex on him for picking his pocket in the number 45 and then chirping about it

I remember reading that in the newspaper at the job I worked in '95 at the time. Anderson said "#45 just doesn't "take off" like #23 did"...

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

john starks shoots what could have been the game and series winning shot...pick and role.....ewing picked max or kenny...and starks got a wide open look..UNTIL..dream reached out and altered the shot(nicked his hand)

if the shot drops..Ewing is seen as a top tier center.....and perhaps Dream isn't elevated to the stature that he is....

A dagger to my heart. I was close to tears when I finally saw the replay the next day and realized how close we got

Banned

Vince Carter, EC Semis vs. the Sixers, Game 7. Maybe making that shot could have changed his career, legacy, and the Raptors. Maybe. But I still don't fault the guy for attending his graduation that morning. That's some real ish.

^^ you be hating openly
    Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    Vince Carter, EC Semis vs. the Sixers, Game 7. Maybe making that shot could have changed his career, legacy, and the Raptors. Maybe. But I still don't fault the guy for attending his graduation that morning. That's some real ish.
    Very much think so...

My thoughts, exactly.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    That's just a slang term for Freakish athletes who have great Instincts and Animal Like Quickness, with the ability to Finish Strong at the hoop, with a vicious MONSTER Jam. (gotta love America's "code words" for.. uh... Players).

Decent college freshman

man poor ewing . . . if that bum charles smith didn't miss that lay up in 93 against the bulls or if starks hadn't gone ice cold in 94, he would be thought of very differently. ewing had his flaws--bad passer and he got kind of soft--but he was a great player.

what made it worse was how he performed in game 7

If Malone make those free throws, there will be no question about Stockton-Malone-Sloan legacy.
    And Jordan might have played another year or two as Bulls.

Local High School Star ChrisKreager's Avatar

Raptors might have had a chance against Milwaukee in the East Finals, but I think the Allen/Robinson/Cassell punch would have done just enough.

If he makes that shot, what about Milwaukee? Carter would have been less of a nightmare to stop than AI, and I think they would have given the 2001 Lakers a run for their money (they swept them that year, so you could say they were unafraid of them)