Page 13 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller ThaKing's Avatar

Homerish? Illini fans? Never

Anyways those are impressive numbers. Ill admit, Ive never heard of him before, but If he keeps up that kinda pace you guys have a real chance to make some noise. I'm not sure how good Arizona's post defense is, but when I watched them play Louisville I was far from impressed.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKing
    Homerish? Illini fans? Never

Anyways those are impressive numbers. Ill admit, Ive never heard of him before, but If he keeps up that kinda pace you guys have a real chance to make some noise. I'm not sure how good Arizona's post defense is, but when I watched them play Louisville I was far from impressed.
    I admit, I thought he was a scrub. He was lanky, with athleticism, but didn't do much to contribute, but he's looking like a stud out there, it's ridiculous. I wonder if he had it in him or it's an instance of Weber bring out the best out of him this year. He's impressed me the last two games far more than James Augustine last year. It's nice to see this, but then again, like mentioned Zona's defense in general is subpar and I don't even kno what IUPUI stands for.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

If James Augustine had been as aggressive as either Carter or Pruitt are, he never would have seen his senior year at Illinois.

And everyone's a homer. Not endemic to Illinois fans.

James definitely has a lot of talent in him, he should've been better than Paul Davis last year, in my opinion.

I already think he was better than Paul Davis. Numbers-wise, or even skillwise? No, but he was way more athletic, played with a better motor (though not aggressive scoring-wise), and was a much better defender. Head to head, it's no coincidence that Augie outplayed Davis more often than not in their careers.

Anywho......

http://www.midstatehoops.com/videos/...ashington.html

Say hello to DeAndre "Ticket" Liggins. Undoubtedly one of the staff's top targets for the 2008 class.

He's a better passer than Julian Wright. I don't mean a better passer than Julian Wright at the same age....he's a better passer than Julian right now. Not as tall, and not nearly as good of an athlete (then again, few are) which is why he's not as highly ranked as Julian was....but I want Ticket. He may not be a superathlete, but for what he can do with the ball, he's plenty athletic.

Some Illinois fans aren't enamored with him, and I don't understand why, exactly. I don't know if it's because he does everything fairly well but doesn't excel at anything (except passing), or if it's because he's not considered a future prep All-American, or if it's because he's old for his grade and some think he doesn't have as much room for improvement as others.

Well, I guess I understand the reasons perfectly...I just don't agree with them. If Weber hasn't offered Ticket yet- Liggins claims he has an offer- I hope he does soon.

My 2008 wish list:

DeAndre Liggins, 6'6" PG/SF, Chicago Washington (Rivals.com No. 84)
    Michael Dunigan, 6'9" C, Chicago Farragaut (No. 41)
    Verdell Jones, 6'4" PG, Champaign Central (No. 77), OR Lewis Jackson, 5'9" PG, Decatur Eisenhower (No. 94)
    Scott Suggs, 6'6" SG/SF, Washington, Missouri (No. 65), OR Matt Humphrey, 6'5" SG, Chicago (No. 70)

Give me four of those guys and I'll do cartwheels.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 12-08-2006 at 06:18 AM.

I heard people discussing Liggins over on the Phog a few days ago. They were comparing him to Julian Wright also. While Ive never seen him play if he's being compared to Julian he must be pretty special. I love the way Julian plays, he's so un selfish with the basketball to the point where Self has to get in his as$ for not shooting. The nickname Ticket kinda makes me laugh since it's fairly stupid and Garnett is the only "Ticket" I know. But nicknames like that are fun. Our freshman phenom Darrell "Shady" Arthur has a pretty damn stupid nickname. It's classic when our old white announcers are calling him Shady Arthur. Anyways it sounds like Liggins is a good player and would be a great get for the Illini. Just keep those boys in your state, but I'm happy with a couple that left.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    I already think he was better than Paul Davis. Numbers-wise, or even skillwise? No, but he was way more athletic, played with a better motor (though not aggressive scoring-wise), and was a much better defender. Head to head, it's no coincidence that Augie outplayed Davis more often than not in their careers.

Anywho......

http://www.midstatehoops.com/videos/...ashington.html

Say hello to DeAndre "Ticket" Liggins. Undoubtedly one of the staff's top targets for the 2008 class.

He's a better passer than Julian Wright. I don't mean a better passer than Julian Wright at the same age....he's a better passer than Julian right now. Not as tall, and not nearly as good of an athlete (then again, few are) which is why he's not as highly ranked as Julian was....but I want Ticket. He may not be a superathlete, but for what he can do with the ball, he's plenty athletic.

Some Illinois fans aren't enamored with him, and I don't understand why, exactly. I don't know if it's because he does everything fairly well but doesn't excel at anything (except passing), or if it's because he's not considered a future prep All-American, or if it's because he's old for his grade and some think he doesn't have as much room for improvement as others.

Well, I guess I understand the reasons perfectly...I just don't agree with them. If Weber hasn't offered Ticket yet- Liggins claims he has an offer- I hope he does soon.

My 2008 wish list:

DeAndre Liggins, 6'6" PG/SF, Chicago Washington (Rivals.com No. 84)
    Michael Dunigan, 6'9" C, Chicago Farragaut (No. 41)
    Verdell Jones, 6'4" PG, Champaign Central (No. 77), OR Lewis Jackson, 5'9" PG, Decatur Eisenhower (No. 94)
    Scott Suggs, 6'6" SG/SF, Washington, Missouri (No. 65), OR Matt Humphrey, 6'5" SG, Chicago (No. 70)

Give me four of those guys and I'll do cartwheels.
    If Verdell Jones doesn't commit, he should be slapped in the face. He's from Champaign....same with Jackson, Decatur is right there.

Yeah, but not every kid wants to stay at home. I was high school football teammates six years ago with a kid named Marquis Johnson; he was a year younger than me. Grew up in Champaign from when he was young, went to high school in Champaign, was the No. 3 WR in the nation according to Rivals....signed with Texas. (Ended up not qualifing, going to juco and then Texas Tech.)

And this was in 2001, when Illinois football won the Big Ten and went to the Sugar Bowl, with Kurt Kittner flinging the ball all over the place. What homegrown WR wouldn't want to stay at Illinois, play opposite Brandon Lloyd at a place that was throwing the ball 35-40 times a game?

Well, Marquis didn't. He liked Illinois....but he just wanted to go somewhere else.

And beyond that, who knows if Weber actually wants Verdell? Maybe he'd rather have Jackson, or thinks with McCamey only a year older, that we don't need a true PG in this class, as Suggs and Liggins are both wings with some PG skills. Too early to tell.

Back to Ticket.....I think he was at our Midnight Madness this year. But I'm not sure.

I'd have to check on that.

He was, I saw an article on him saying he was impressed at your midnight madness. I also saw Kansas is a team amung his favorites. thats gotta be kinda scary for Illini fans. No offense but its true.

True.

Last I read, though, Wake Forest and Illinois, in that order, were in the lead for Ticket. I don't know how big of a player Kansas is going to be for him, because I would imagine you guys would have more highly-touted targets than him- Travis Releford, Larry Drew, etc.

Then again, it seems he hasn't really narrowed down his choices yet. So who knows. With Liggins (yes, I've decided to interchangibly use his real name and nickname) it's probably too early.

Wake was also Demetri McCamey's supposed leader until Weber offered him. Granted, we've supposedly already offered Liggins- according to him- whereas McCamey committed only a couple days after Weber offered. Wake doesn't particularly scare me in recruiting battles, considering they'd offered both McCamey and Semrau and we got both of them. But, well, who knows.

I won't be heartbroken if we don't get him, but I'm totally enamored with his passing ability and vision. For a non-PG, I can't remember a better passer in the state of Illinois since I've been following Illinois high school ball. Julian Wright and Andre Igoudalia come close; they were a little better as all-around players coming out of high schol because of their athleticism, but as pure passers....I think Liggins has both of them beat.

Just keep those boys in your state
    We'd love to. But the thing that's kind of unfair about recruiting expectations for Illinois.....Chicago is an international city. There's plenty of Illini love, and whenever we play a game in Chicago we'll always have the home court advantage- there's more UI alumni in Chicago than any other university- but it isn't like there's any sort of overwhelming, prevailing love for Illinois over everyone else. It's not like Phoenix is for Arizona, Los Angeles for UCLA, Indianapolis for IU, or hell, even Detroit for Michigan State.

Every major school in the nation recruits the Chicago area, because few areas in the country produce equal talent. If we had the basketball pedigree of UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, etc, sure, but we don't. So I've never thought it fair to expect Illinois to control Chicago. At times we have, sure, but it's usually not going to be like that. Even if, say, Charlotte produced the kind of talent that Chicago produces, a good amount of it would get away from even Duke and UNC.

There'll always be some elite kids, like Demetri McCamey, who grew up there with the lifelong dream of playing for Illinois. And for that reason we'll always be very competitive, at the absolute least. But it isn't like Indianapolis, where Hoosier basketball rules the day. There will probably always be more love for the Illini than any other college team in Chicago, but the U of I never has, and never will, control that city. It's impossible. Too many different alumni from too many schools, and every elite program in the nation recruits there.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 12-09-2006 at 05:02 AM.

What an ugly 2nd half against UIC...

As long as we get that W.

I guess..Well atleast Rich Mcbride was able to sting two games where he has done well.

The team gets a bit of rest now before we go up against Belmont on the
    17th. After that it's at Missouri on the 19th, Vs. Idaho St. on the 21st, then a tough matchup at #24 Xavier on the 28th, last game before the big ten season. If we get through the rest of the regular season games undefeated, that would be a great confidence booster going into the Big Ten season.