Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: In random news: Quentin Tarantino mentions his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    racist applauding a racist sentiment.
    I wouldn't have expressed his sentiment the same way, I wouldn't have said "angry, ghetto people" but what I did agree with was that it wasn't groundbreaking, nor was it a truly great film in my opinion. Your comment was both baseless and negligent, as well as idiotic. Go play the race card somewhere else you insufferable prick.

Default Re: In random news: Quentin Tarantino mentions his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Ironic indeed. Speaking of being narrow-minded, that actually defines what you've just said.

Why don't you go look at some lists of the top 100 all-time U.S. movies? You'll find "Do the Right Thing" there.

Apparently, people who judge movies professionally feel it deserves to be listed among the best. I'll trust their judgment over some ignorant, crappy message board poster.
    You sound like a sheep, referring to popular opinion rather than presenting your own detailed view with some insight. I guess everything that has numbers is amazing.

"Justin Bieber's "Baby" has 1 billion views on Youtube, I will trust their judgment on good music over some ignorant message board poster"

I guess we can't even criticize politicians if they have high enough approval ratings and are supported by "professionals". Keep following the herd, when you get the mental strength to form an independent thought, feel free to respond with some actual content rather than immature insults and deflections.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    what I did agree with was that it wasn't groundbreaking, nor was it a truly great film in my opinion.
    Films that aren't great don't end up on top all-time lists. I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    You sound like a sheep, referring to popular opinion rather than presenting your own detailed view with some insight. I guess everything that has numbers is amazing.

"Justin Bieber's "Baby" has 1 billion views on Youtube, I will trust their judgment on good music over some ignorant message board poster"

I guess we can't even criticize politicians if they have high enough approval ratings and are supported by "professionals". Keep following the herd, when you get the mental strength to form an independent thought, feel free to respond with some actual content rather than immature insults and deflections.

Another education system fail. You can't even put together a logical argument, and yet you have the nerve to call other people "sheep"?

It takes some self-awareness for a fool to realize his true state. I see you haven't reached that point in your development yet.

Another education system fail. You can't even put together a logical argument, and yet you have the nerve to call other people "sheep"?

It takes some self-awareness for a fool to realize his true state. I see you haven't reached that point in your development yet.
    You are doing a good job of presenting a logical argument for sure, I like all the facts in your post. And yet more chidish insults and deflections. You utilize ad hominem perfectly.*

Do the right thing is also not in the Top 100 on IMDB, I don't know where you got that from. But yea, keep dodging the issue and avoiding the actual point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    racist applauding a racist sentiment.
    Your comment is also a fine example of what is wrong with society today. Playing the race card in ludicrous, unsuitable situations, which only succeeds in discouraging people from playing the race card when it is pertinent. You have succeeded in outing yourself as an atrocious poster and a shady, if not detestable human being, congrats.
    Last edited by AngelEyes; 01-05-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    You are doing a good job of presenting a logical argument for sure, I like all the facts in your post. And yet more chidish insults and deflections. You utilize ad hominem perfectly.*

Do the right thing is also not in the Top 100 on IMDB, I don't know where you got that from. But yea, keep dodging the issue and avoiding the actual point.
    its in the top 100 all-time U.S. films, as judged the the American Film Institute. I'm not sure if the IMDB list you're looking at is focused on American movies.

I wouldn't waste my time to post a detailed presentation on why "Do the Right Thing" is a great movie for the benefit of someone who's so obviously, and ignorantly, biased against it.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Let's get back to the REAL topic here

Films that aren't great don't end up on top all-time lists. I'll leave it at that.
    That's a very weak argument and I think you realize that. There are many films on all time lists which generate a lot of discussion and disagreement, just because a movie is placed on a list doesn't mean it can never be questioned, that is an absurd approach to take. I also didn't consider Lee an all time great because I don't feel his body of work is that remarkable. I thought Malcolm X was a good, but not great film and I thought Inside Man was another good film, but which could not be considered great. To me he's a director who makes good, somewhat interesting films, but does not belong on the pantheon of great directors.

its in the top 100 all-time U.S. films, as judged the the American Film Institute. I'm not sure if the IMDB list you're looking at is focused on American movies.

I wouldn't waste my time to post a detailed presentation on why "Do the Right Thing" is a great movie for the benefit of someone who's so obviously, and ignorantly, biased against it.
    Honestly, I may have come off biased, but I am just wondering what exactly made it great. I heard all the praise, watched it with high expectations. It started off great, I was loving all the characters, then in the end they all just went nuts for no reason and the Italian restaurant owner was victimized. I would have stayed with the main character if he actually stopped everyone and reasoned with them instead of joining in, directing anger at the wrong individual and presenting senseless violence.

I am just interested in your own view on the matter. I don't know, maybe that was the purpose of the movie; to showcase how people can change.

When the AFI originally released their list in 1998 of the top 100 movies Do The Right Thing wasn't even on it, it wasn't until the revised list of 2007 that it was added. Even the list which you are referencing didn't have the film originally on it. It's never going to be considered one of the films garnering GOAT status, it's also only one film, no truly brilliant director has only one great film in their repertoire.

That's a very weak argument and I think you realize that. There are many films on all time lists which generate a lot of discussion and disagreement, just because a movie is placed on a list doesn't mean it can never be questioned, that is an absurd approach to take. I also didn't consider Lee an all time great because I don't feel his body of work is that remarkable. I thought Malcolm X was a good, but not great film and I thought Inside Man was another good film, but which could not be considered great. To me he's a director who makes good, somewhat interesting films, but does not belong on the pantheon of great directors.
    It is not a weak argument. Many thousands of movies have been directed in the U.S., and if a film is judged by a professional organization in the industry to be among the best, that says something -- whether or not you want to acknowledge it.

As to your evaluation of Lee in a historical context as a director, it was well reasoned, and I respect it as your opinion.

When the AFI originally released their list in 1998 of the top 100 movies Do The Right Thing wasn't even on it, it wasn't until the revised list of 2007 that it was added. Even the list which you are referencing didn't have the film originally on it. It's never going to be considered one of the films garnering GOAT status, it's also only one film, no truly brilliant director has only one great film in their repertoire.
    Did anyone say it deserved GOAT status? No.

Is it among the best, and most noteworthy American movies? Yes. The AFI isn't the only source to have judged it so.

It is not a weak argument. Many thousands of movies have been directed in the U.S., and if a film is judged by a professional organization in the industry to be among the best, that says something -- whether or not you want to acknowledge it.

As to your evaluation of Lee in a historical context as a director, it was well reasoned, and I respect it as your opinion.
    Again, the very list you are referencing didn't even originally have the film on it, so even they were unsure of it as some point. I always respected it as a good, interesting picture, just not something that can be viewed as a masterpiece.

Did anyone say it deserved GOAT status? No.

Is it among the best, and most noteworthy American movies? Yes. The AFI isn't the only source to have judged it so.
    We also need to get back to the preface of the argument. I stated that I didn't feel that Lee was a historically great director, you said he was considering one of his films is judged to be one of the greatest films ever. Even if I were to concede that Do the Right Thing was a great film it still is only one great picture and no other film that Lee has directed has garnered that level of praise, not even close. Malcolm X, 25th hour and Inside Man are his closest films and those can be judged as very good, but fall woefully short of the all time film list.