Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Good. I didn't say nobody is talking about it at all. I applaud any and all talks. But lets be real, it's largely avoided in left and right mainstream media, because it's not sensational or a narrative that'll draw in ratings. For every piece like that, there are 10 shying away from these problems.
    yeah i agree.

Made that high school varsity squad MJ23forever's Avatar

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

The Southern Strategy turned the bigoted Southern Dems to solidly GOP today.

See Southern Strategy.

If

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    "Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis "

-dr martin luther king jr

According to the 2010 United States Census... the population was about 49.2% African American, 43.9% White

Serious playground baller MAC system's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    MLk was obviously talking about 2010 huh? You dipshit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MAC system
    MLk was obviously talking about 2010 huh? You dipshit

wah??

Quote Originally Posted by MAC system
    You dipshit

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    dey been doin crimes n ****in' too.

-Smak

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I dont know....

Seems pretty casual.

Being a civil rights leader doesnt mean you wont wear sweatshirts with a hood.

Wasn't MLK Jr. all about non violent protests and peaceful resistance?

Trayvon was all about violence....deciding it was time to beat the shit out of GZ. Don't think MLK would approve....

MLK would never sacrifice his professional image for comfort. NEVER! Even if he were to go out jogging on a chilly day, hed be wearing a 3 piece suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont know....
    Seems pretty casual.

Being a civil rights leader doesnt mean you wont wear sweatshirts with a hood.
    From what I took away from it all though is that MLK Jr wouldn't run around with a hoodie on at dusk. It's all about how you present yourself that will determine how people look at you. If Trayvon Martin was walking down the street with his hoodie off and his face visible, this shooting may not have gone down. When your face is covered up and running down the street (or through people's yards) with a brown bag and a hand in your pocket, people will think you may be shady or hiding something.

And yeah, you could say that people shouldn't judge you by the cover, but that is how real-life works. People DO judge you by your presentation and people DO judge you by how you carry yourself physically and verbally. Everything matters.

Anyways, Zimmerman fu<ked up by completely rushing to act on his judgment without using his head to think for a moment, but it was not entirely his fault. Trayvon Martin is also to blame for this as much as Zimmerman is. The only thing is that Trayvon Martin is not alive to express his end of the story. My guess is that he would say something like "This guy was staring at me and following me around in his car. He was a stranger to me, and I thought he was a crazy stalker so I ran away from him. I wasn't think about my hoodie or anything. He still kept following me on foot afterwards. He could be a gangster trying to kill me. I defended myself from a crazy stalker." How do you respond to that?
    Last edited by bladefd; 07-17-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Maybe this is just where I grew up, but back in my high school days, the only people wearing hoodies (well, 90% of them) were THAT crowd. The type to skip class to smoke cigarettes out on the front lawn, get suspended for fighting etc.. Predominantly white, by the way. But you KNOW the type. Do NOT act as if honour students and community volunteers are wearing 1/10 the number of hoodies as THAT crowd.

Well I for one am happy Martin was wearing a hoodie. Just imagine if he'd been wearing a leisure suit

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    Maybe this is just where I grew up, but back in my high school days, the only people wearing hoodies (well, 90% of them) were THAT crowd. The type to skip class to smoke cigarettes out on the front lawn, get suspended for fighting etc.. Predominantly white, by the way. But you KNOW the type. Do NOT act as if honour students and community volunteers are wearing 1/10 the number of hoodies as THAT crowd.
    Eh, growing up in a middle class neighborhood in SA, mostly white and hispanic, I saw hoodies on the regular especially in the 90's when skating skyrocketed in popularity. There wasn't a correlation with bad behavior/outcasts.

Even in hot ass Texas, so many people of all demographics rocked hoodies.

The fact that Trayvon was wearing one, and Zimmerman found him suspicious for whatever reasons (his behavior, mostly), seems like happenstance.

Very good NBA starter

I wonder why he had his hoodie up? Hmmmm maybe because it was raining!

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Eh, growing up in a middle class neighborhood in SA, mostly white and hispanic, I saw hoodies on the regular especially in the 90's when skating skyrocketed in popularity. There wasn't a correlation with bad behavior/outcasts.

Even in hot ass Texas, so many people of all demographics rocked hoodies.

The fact that Trayvon was wearing one, and Zimmerman found him suspicious for whatever reasons (his behavior, mostly), seems like happenstance.
    Interesting.

I don't consider myself a prejudiced person (I rail on people when they label people by race in casual conversation), but I'm steadfast in my belief, based on who I grew up with, i.e. my high schools population, that those wearing hoodies are 10x more likely to be f*ckups than those not wearing them.