Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Magic Johnson To Advise Team Ownership

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/1...vise-ownership

The Los Angeles Lakers today announced that Earvin "Magic" Johnson will return to the Lakers to assist Jeanie Buss in all areas of basketball and business as an advisor.

"We are thrilled and honored to add Magic's expertise and abilities, and I look forward to working alongside him." said Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss.

"Magic Johnson is one of the NBA's greatest players and it is terrific to see him returning to the Lakers," said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. "He is a truly special person and a natural leader with a relentless passion for basketball and profound knowledge of the game."

"Everyone knows my love for the Lakers," said Johnson. "Over the years, I have considered other management opportunities, however my devotion to the game and Los Angeles make the Lakers my first and only choice. I will do everything in my power to help return the Lakers to their rightful place among the elite teams of the NBA."

Johnson's duties will include, but not be limited to, advising ownership on all business and basketball matters, collaborating with coaches, evaluating and mentoring players, assessing future franchise needs, and helping ownership to determine the best path for growth and success. Johnson will spend time at Lakers offices in El Segundo and will report directly to Jeanie Buss.

As per Lakers policy, terms of agreement will not be disclosed.
    I guess the rumors were true after their meeting last week.

Default Re: Magic Johnson To Advise Team Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/1...vise-ownership

I guess the rumors were true after their meeting last week.
    So there will be a transistion. Jimmy is on the clock....tick tock....
    some intriguing questions.
    1.Will Jim and Mitch be allowed to make that big moves like trading 2 youngsters for guys like Jimmy Butler or Cousins?
    2. Is this just a publicity gimmick to say to die hard fans, hey, we know you are hurting, so do we and we want to do "something".
    3. What is Magic going to do, bring in his buddies like Coop, Worthy and AC to start meddling with Luke and his former Arizona Wildcat cohorts?

But I too have some ideas on my own.
    1. Luke has been allowed to hire away (without much intervention), get his buddies to handle this young team,, right now, it's not looking great.
    Jim and Mitch just heavily invested on Mozgov and Deng and both esp Mozzi is barely playing, I wonder if hiring a consultant would help.
    2. Brandon is just simply crap at shooting, heck even his shots from 3-15 feet, he shooting less than 32% , I think it's time to spend major dollars on shooting gurus like the Spurs' Chip Engelland. This guy did great with Kawhi etc, I can't believe the Lakers can't spend 1-2 mil on him, I doubt he is getting that much from the Spurs. If yes, heck, this is the Lakers, offer him more.

NBA lottery pick

I don't think Butler or Cousins is being moved.

Home of the 16

Yeah, as for Demarcus, I think he's likely going to stay in Sacramento. But I think there'll be a possibility for Jimmy Butler this offseason if Chi-town drama continues.

The Lakers have got to start developing their youth core, no one's averaging above 30 minutes.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

I love Jeannie, and Jerry Buss was godfather to two of my first cousins. So, it kind of pains me to say this, but I hope he advises and convinces them to sell the team.

I don't think she can do what she needs to do without ripping apart her family. Family is more important than business, and I can appreciate her position. If she can't convince Jim to step down without causing a major rift, then they should sell the team. It needs to be run like a business, not Pat & Patty's Backpack Shack.

Love it! Let's get back on track all ready!

LAKESHOW!!!!

High School Varsity 6th Man

I really hope we sign Larry Sanders. We can trade Mozgov, Deng, Calderon, and Huertas for another rotation point guard, and bring in Thanasis Antetokounmpo and win it all this year.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkinchen
    I really hope we sign Larry Sanders. We can trade Mozgov, Deng, Calderon, and Huertas for another rotation point guard, and bring in Thanasis Antetokounmpo and win it all this year.
    You just never quit, do you?

Never doubt the wisdom of Coach Kinchen. I suggested months ago we should switch to a smallball lineup, and now we do and are winning. I suggested months ago that Zubac was ready to be a rotation player even at the ge of 19, and now he is and he is surprising you all.

I suggested pairing up Black and Robinson months before Walton tried it. You all are fools. Never doubt my basketball knowledge.

By the way, I'm not talking about Giannis, I'm talking about Thanasis. Do you even know the player I am referring to?

NBA lottery pick

Everyone knows who Thanasis Antetokounmpo is. The only reason he was in the league is because of his brother. It's not the first time something like that has happened. Players get their family members who aren't good enough a contract that is short lived a fair amount. If Thanasis was even half of what his brother is he would most certainly have a job in the league. He's not even playing that much over seas.

After watching that debacle in Phoenix, the point is that the Lakers should be very open to making trades now. I don't view anyone currently on our roster as untouchable at this point outside of Williams and Ingram.

There really aren't any franchise-changing free agents out there this year so we may as well make a trade now if we can.

I saw the rumors out there about getting Westbrook and Davis. Not gonna happen. But what if we could get John Wall and Demarcus Cousins. That would be something.

NBA lottery pick

Williams is very much on the trading block. It's highly likely he gets moved. I hope he does for his sake. He could end up on a contender.

NBA lottery pick

The trade isn't loading for me so I can't see it.

NBA lottery pick

It sounds like the Lakers almost landed Cousins though.