Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Front Squats vs Leg Presses for Quads

I am currently doing a jump program which I'll start tomorrow. It basically has no squats in the workout(lots of movement that ends up making you go in that position but not really any real squats). There's this one exercise which are called explosion squats which are basically leg presses. Lots of comments have been made about front squats being a lot better then the leg press. Even my bro(a guy who told me that 2 miles a day and running is the good way to go to gaining vertical inches) agrees with the necessity of a squat, strangers in jump/muscle building forums, and etc agree with it. The creator of the jump program claims that he had results with the leg press. I wonder if he could have had MORE results with the front squat or a quad dominated squat. This jump program focuses on specific muscles to drain them(1 day of weight training, 1 day of plyometrics, 2 days of training how to jump, 2 days of light upper body training, and 3 days of stretching. all of them are integrated). What are your experiences in which one gets better gains?
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Front Squats vs Leg Presses for Quads

back squats
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

^^^ Way better than leg press for explosion and it's not even close. Leg press won't do anything for you it doesn't activate the hips at all.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster

Give this program a try. If you've been doing squats all along then changing your routine up could be good for you anyway, and then after a month or so on this new program go to back to doing squats again.
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
bobbyflay

This program involves the use of isolating each muscle, so I looked up and found that the front squat was the one that worked the quad the most I believe. If I used the back squat, it would make me end up using all the other muscles also. Some exercises that are included in the workout are deadlifts, calf raises, and ham curls.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

What program is this? This sounds like some BS... a true vertical jump program would not have you isolating muscles. It would have you maximizing the power you can produce through compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. Calf raises and hamstring curls are next to useless unless you are a total novice, in which any kind of jump training would be beneficial. Isolating muscles does not cause them to be coordinated, whereas a compound exercise would ensure your entire body is coordinated and explosive.

For me, I made great gains when I started doing squats and deadlifts. Before I had a clue about strength training (or any kind of athletic training for that matter), I used to do endless amounts of leg press and calf raises. All I got were big calves, but no increased jump ability. Then I started doing compound lifts, training my entire body, and when I added jump form training (just working on jumping), my results really shot up.

Just wondering, what are your stats for your lifts, especially the squat and deadlift?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
bobbyflay

It's the Jump Manual lol. All over the net, it's like the #1 program. Really good service so far. One of the admins recommend the Front Squat, but I asked him to clarify even more about it. They have some sort of thing where they do jumps to get coordinated. I don't really want to give it away though. I get what you mean by the total body coordination concept. I'll be asking them that.

I also started getting a lot more gains when I could do 1 legged dead lifts and one legged squats on the VJB bodyweight workout.

I don't know my starting lifts yet. I'll be testing them out on Tuesday for a 1 rep maximum due to tomorrow being a training day. Last time I tried squatting was with 25 pounds(guess it was 95). Due to bad form or something, when I tried squatting down, my legs didn't hurt at all but my spine and neck was killing me. Then I did 10 pounds and it didn't hurt my spine. However, it felt a bit more heavier then 25 pounds but not heavy for some reason. For some reason, in basketball, like meager weights seem to cause everyone surprise. Like when I came in, I could bench press 95 pounds. That was what most of the sophmores were bench pressing. I was expecting them to bench press like 150 easily. I then see the team captain bench pressing 135 pounds and it was crazy. I then hear about football players who are sophmores benching 160 easily lol.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
ABPrints

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
What program is this? This sounds like some BS... a true vertical jump program would not have you isolating muscles. It would have you maximizing the power you can produce through compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. Calf raises and hamstring curls are next to useless unless you are a total novice, in which any kind of jump training would be beneficial. Isolating muscles does not cause them to be coordinated, whereas a compound exercise would ensure your entire body is coordinated and explosive.

For me, I made great gains when I started doing squats and deadlifts. Before I had a clue about strength training (or any kind of athletic training for that matter), I used to do endless amounts of leg press and calf raises. All I got were big calves, but no increased jump ability. Then I started doing compound lifts, training my entire body, and when I added jump form training (just working on jumping), my results really shot up.

Just wondering, what are your stats for your lifts, especially the squat and deadlift?

Front squats and leg presses are not isolation movements. To teh OP, I would hit front squats and deadlifts for optimum results. However, leg presses are ok once in awhile to add additonal weight to what you would not other wise lift on the standing squats. The biggest issue with leg presses is the low back and protecting it.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
ABPrints

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis

Front squats and leg presses are not isolation movements. To teh OP, I would hit front squats and deadlifts for optimum results. However, leg presses are ok once in awhile to add additonal weight to what you would not other wise lift on the standing squats. The biggest issue with leg presses is the low back and protecting it.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: