Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Is Lakers defense good enough?

Healthy or not, maybe the only thing thatís safe to assume right now is that the Lakers will be a below average defensive team.

The first (and biggest) reason for that is the loss of Dwight Howard. Although he was far from the one-man defensive anchor he was in his Orlando days, Howard still had a positive impact defensively last season, as the Lakers allowed 5 more points per 100 possessions when Howard was off the floor than they did when he was on the floor. Last year was a poor defensive effort by Howardís standards, but it was still among the leagueís best.

Maybe losing a great defensive player could be overcome on its own, but letís not forget that the Lakers ranked 20th in defensive efficiency last season with Howard. Itís also tough to ignore that Mike DíAntoni has only coached one above-average defensive team (better than 15th in defensive efficiency) in ten seasons, or that Pau Gasol and Steve Nash are both now a year older. New additions Nick Young and Chris Kaman arenít exactly renowned for their defensive prowess, either.

-- ESPN LA
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Is Lakers defense good enough?

This is No "D" Toni's dream defensive team
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

We might have lost Dwight but we upgraded at small forward defensively by losing Metta's atrocious defense and replacing him with two young, athletic guys. We also added Farmar who will improve our perimeter defense. And Kaman was a solid acquisition. We will be able to clog the paint with our length in Gasol and Kaman, and our perimeter defense will be significantly better with our new personnel and the addition of Kurt Rambis.

I think we're going to be very solid defensively this year both from a schematic standpoint and from a personel standpoint. Jordan Hill can become Rodman-like if he stays healthy.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
We might have lost Dwight but we upgraded at small forward defensively by losing Metta's atrocious defense and replacing him with two young, athletic guys. We also added Farmar who will improve our perimeter defense. And Kaman was a solid acquisition. We will be able to clog the paint with our length in Gasol and Kaman, and our perimeter defense will be significantly better with our new personnel and the addition of Kurt Rambis.

I think we're going to be very solid defensively this year both from a schematic standpoint and from a personel standpoint. Jordan Hill can become Rodman-like if he stays healthy.

Solid? We'll give up a solid 110ppg
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Metta's D was atrocious?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Metta's D was atrocious?

Not his fault, it was the complete lack of a system and rotations or any form of defensive coaching. No one ever looks good defensively under No "D" Toni.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
akts
Serious playground baller

akts has decent reputationakts has decent reputation

Metta was still very serviceable at d. I would take him over jamison meeks or kobe guarding someone when the game was on the line.. He played with heart and his experience and tenacity are things that count and take time to instill and learn .Say what you will about how bad he had become but the man wore and played the purple and gold with pride and I for one know he helped swing the title for us when we played the celtics. Pierce garnett amd doc all knew he was our dirtman and knew he was batcrazy and that mental games did not work on him. His clutch 3 is up there with horrys over sac to me. The man is to me a true laker no matter what he wears ever.

That being said. Our d is going to be average to bad. Gasol and kamman are not the tree length bigs that gasol odom and bynum were. I honestly do not feel bothof them can patrol the paint as well as dwight could. They just are not built that way. Yet they want to be here and contribute and i would rather have that. Add that with hill and it is still a very decent set of bigs. If sacre can add some muscle and kelly can exhibit that knack for getting to the ball in duke then they will be in very good waters.

Under danrtoni no team is going to be a good defensive unit. He tries to outscore and outrun you. Things proven in the playoffs not to carry you very far. He will be gone soon.

Last edited by akts : 08-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.
akts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I saw this title and laughed a little. Just knowing that 'antoni is the coach without even looking at the roster would equal a defense that isn't good enough.

Artest still is a good defender. He's not great, definitely not what he used to be, but he's better than what the Lakers currently have there. We made no upgrades on the defensive end at that position. Kaman has never played defense and Pau isn't the greatest so saying they're going to lock up the lane is kind of crazy. There's no way the paint will be as protected as it was without Dwight. Farmar might be better than Blake or Nash defensively but he's still far from a good defensive PG. This team is going to have plenty of games where it gives up more than 100 points.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Not his fault, it was the complete lack of a system and rotations or any form of defensive coaching. No one ever looks good defensively under No "D" Toni.

Yeah absolutely. He was still playing extremely hard though. Harder than anyone else not named Kobe. You can only do so much defensively if there isn't a system. Im a little disappointed kkinchen is blaming Ron here.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Yeah absolutely. He was still playing extremely hard though. Harder than anyone else not named Kobe. You can only do so much defensively if there isn't a system. Im a little disappointed kkinchen is blaming Ron here.

One of the things that I always have liked about Artest is he plays so hard. Maybe it has something to do with him being a little crazy lol. Kobe always used to mention it in interviews too. He always said how he could always count on Ron to give it his all out there. I think he's going to fit in with the Knicks quite well, considering what his role will be.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
One of the things that I always have liked about Artest is he plays so hard. Maybe it has something to do with him being a little crazy lol. Kobe always used to mention it in interviews too. He always said how he could always count on Ron to give it his all out there. I think he's going to fit in with the Knicks quite well, considering what his role will be.

Yeah I was really sad when we had to cut him. He was always my favorite even before coming here, but I understand why we did it. I hope he has a great game against us (in a losing effort).
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

Their defense is as far as Rambis takes them IMO.

At this point, I think the best Lakers rotational lineup (offensively + defensively) would be:

PG: Nash | Blake
SG: Bryant | Farmar | Meeks
SF: Johnson | Young | Henry
PF: Hill | Williams | Kelly | Harris
C: Gasol | Kaman | Sacre

Johnson needs to be more than good defensively...with Nash's and Bryant's age a concern, Johnson needs to be spectacular, in the mold of Trevor Ariza and a 3pt sharpshooter. Jordan Hill is their best pick n roll defender. Gasol moving back to C should also help his defensive game. He was forced to guard quicker and more athletic PFs all of last season. I think his best game is that of a Center like Duncan.

The one glaring concern I have is the bench depth and D'Antoni's insistence on overplaying his starters and running them into the ground every season. Minutes management will be crucial in how far this team will go come playoff time. They don't have enough bench depth to compete for a championship in a long 82 game season, my opinion. But a few more moves for added depth and they're right there assuming D'Antoni will play his starters conservatively and Nash, Kobe and Gasol are all healthy.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: