Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Houston Had 2 Point Guards Already Better than Lin

Not that I disagree with most of the things stated in this thread, but I think we need to take into account another factor. Lin's style as a PG clearly clashes with the direction Mchale is trying to go. It seems he's playing "scared" because Mchale has his number and sits the guy if he's ever trying to be "Linsanity" Jeremy Lin--it's a shame because I feel a good coach should always play to the stong suits of his players' arsenal, rather than trying to fit players into a predetermined agenda.

A lot of great point guards are strictly good at what they do and the system they can create. If you're hoping for a PG you can mold to cater to the type of offense you want to run as a coach and that notion diverges with the PG's playstyle, it doesn't matter how good they are it just won't work out. (e.g., it just isn't ideal to have Steve Nash play the Westbrook role, or Derrick rose play the Stockton role.)

And last but not least, the guy is having a couple poor playoff performances no doubt. But he's had a decent enough 1st season with the Rockets that I don't think it calls for us to whip out our flaming torches and pitchforks on him quite yet.
    Last edited by klee; 04-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klee
    Not that I disagree with most of the things stated in this thread, but I think we need to take into account another factor. Lin's style as a PG clearly clashes with the direction Mchale is trying to go. It seems he's playing "scared" because Mchale has his number and sits the guy if he's ever trying to be "Linsanity" Jeremy Lin--it's a shame because I feel a good coach should always play to the stong suits of his players' arsenal, rather than trying to fit players into a predetermined agenda.

A lot of great point guards are strictly good at what they do and the system they can create. If you're hoping for a PG you can mold to cater to the type of offense you want to run as a coach and that notion diverges with the PG's playstyle, it doesn't matter how good they are it just won't work out. (e.g., it just isn't ideal to have Steve Nash play the Westbrook role, or Derrick rose play the Stockton role.)

And last but not least, the guy is having a couple poor playoff performances no doubt. But he's had a decent enough 1st season with the Rockets that I don't think it calls for us to whip out our flaming torches and pitchforks on him quite yet.
    It's been a very average season.

Very good NBA starter

Trading Lowry to make room for Dragic then let Dragic leave? It's a head scratching move the Rockets pulled.

College superstar

really not a head scratching move. Morey just signed Lin because asians will pay to watch their own race play basketball in a heartbeat. Houston has a large Asian Community. Matter of fact, Houston has like three separate town/neighborhoods full of Asian people as the majority.

they shud make lin the backup and get a better stable option at pg

This thread is LOL worthy.

13.5/6/3 on 44% shooting in his first full season with a brand new team playing PG for a coach that is pretty openly biased against him and playing opposite the biggest ball stopping chucker (not named Kobe) in the league?

Yeah...not jumping the gun here at all...