Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Default Re: Hey, how come I don't get tipped at my job?

^^ I think it's actually quite true, we Chinese people hardly ever leave tips, but I see some people say they tip 20% Jesus I can't even imagine paying an extra 20% on top of the meal.

Although a LOT of chinese restaurants have 10% service charges, which is probably why most people don't need to leave tips.

Damn, still no tip though 2 people brung me lunch last week.

trendin'

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Any ideas? Maybe I should work at restaurant or become a barber.

because you dont make $2 per hour. if you were a doctor and made $2 per hour, im pretty sure your patients would be tipping you

dumba$$ OP.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

stupid ass OP

Banned

I am so sick of these fat cat servers in America.

Strutting around like they should be able to splurge on premium ramen noodles and shit.

Be happy with your $2.13 and don't look at me for a handout!

They all deserve to wallow further into poverty so that more of them are forced into the entitlement programs I am so vehemently against!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    I am so sick of these fat cat servers in America.

Strutting around like they should be able to splurge on premium ramen noodles and shit.

Be happy with your $2.13 and don't look at me for a handout!

They all deserve to wallow further into poverty so that more of them are forced into the entitlement programs I am so vehemently against!!!
    No one forces them to be a waiter. They can quit whenever they want. They are always free to take a stable minimum wage job like cleaning toilets in Walmart and Target, or working in Mcdonalds or Burger King which are very nearly always hiring. It's not like people working as waiters are backed in to a corner with no other options. They choose to be waiters and agree to their wages when they sign the contract. They don't deserve any pity.

They don't deserve bonus for doing the very basic requirements of their job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    No one forces them to be a waiter. They can quit whenever they want. They are always free to take a stable minimum wage job like cleaning toilets in Walmart and Target, or working in Mcdonalds or Burger King which are very nearly always hiring. It's not like people working as waiters are backed in to a corner with no other options. They choose to be waiters and agree to their wages when they sign the contract. They don't deserve any pity.

They don't deserve bonus for doing the very basic requirements of their job.
    They agree to their wages because of an existing tipping system that most people have agreed upon in America. Whether you agree with the system or not, is irrelevant.

Do away with the system for all I care - but you'd have to raise their wage to at least the minimum wage of any other job.

You really think people are lining up to earn $2.13/hr and call it a day?

What is so hard to understand about this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    They agree to their wages because of an existing tipping system that most people have agreed upon in America. Whether you agree with the system or not, is irrelevant.

Do away with the system for all I care - but you'd have to raise their wage to at least the minimum wage of any other job.

You really think people are lining up to earn $2.13/hr and call it a day?

What is so hard to understand about this?
    They are lining up do do an easy job where if they have basic competance at it they can easily earn FAR ABOVE MINIMUM wage despite having 0 skills. The 2.13 an hour is the risk you take when you become a waiter. If you aren't confident you can earn more with tips, DONT TAKE THE GODDAMN JOB AND DO SOMETHING THAT IS MINIMUM WAGE.

If everyone was so against the 2.13 minimum wage they should unionize and strike and stop accepting their jobs. If everyone really hated being a waiter and working for $2.13 they would stop doing it and the system would have to change. The fact that I never hear anyone complaining leads me to believe that waiters, on the whole are happy with the system.

I grew up in California where waiters make minimum wage IN ADDITION TO on average 15-18% of their sales they make every night.

So these unskilled idiots doing an easy job are often times earning $20+ an hour carrying plates, writing down orders and being friendly.

Being a waiter is an easy and cushy job and they don't deserve special praise.

They are lining up do do an easy job where if they have basic competance at it they can easily earn FAR ABOVE MINIMUM wage despite having 0 skills. The 2.13 an hour is the risk you take when you become a waiter. If you aren't confident you can earn more with tips, DONT TAKE THE GODDAMN JOB AND DO SOMETHING THAT IS MINIMUM WAGE.

If everyone was so against the 2.13 minimum wage they should unionize and strike and stop accepting their jobs. If everyone really hated being a waiter and working for $2.13 they would stop doing it and the system would have to change. The fact that I never hear anyone complaining leads me to believe that waiters, on the whole are happy with the system.

I grew up in California where waiters make minimum wage IN ADDITION TO on average 15-18% of their sales they make every night.

So these unskilled idiots doing an easy job are often times earning $20+ an hour carrying plates, writing down orders and being friendly.

people who are able to communicate and remain calm with idiot redneck white adults who don't know the difference fried rice and brown rice deserve to be paid minimum wage and get tips. Not making 20+ an hour, but i think you exaggerated on that, but something along the lines of 9-10 an hour is more than fair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    people who are able to communicate and remain calm with idiot redneck white adults who don't know the difference fried rice and brown rice deserve to be paid minimum wage and get tips. Not making 20+ an hour, but i think you exaggerated on that, but something along the lines of 9-10 an hour is more than fair.
    I didn't exagerate it, I looked it up.

Dealing with asshole idiots is the basic requirement of every customer service job ever. You also have to deal with angry morons in retail or working at a reception desk.

Also what's with the racism, referring to idiot rednick white adults? If you had changed that sentence to idiot hoodrat black adults would it be ok?

It's actually hard work to be a good waiter.

It's basically limitless what you can do. If you work at a store, ringing up people, when you are done ringing them up, you will just sit there. If you are delivering packages, the most you can do is get there the fastest.

As a good waiter ( which is, as you may know, one of the most essential parts of a good meal), you have to keep track of so many more things, often multi-tasking and understanding what is important and what isn't (because you can't possibly do everything.)

I agree that people who feel entitled are ass. A lot of the time you see a girl who is a shit waitress, but she thinks she's pretty hot and tries to seduce you into tipping her, but if someone works hard and hooks you up, you had better compensate them because you are a bitch if you don't.

So, basically, IN SUMMARY, I would say that it's worth their minimum wage + however tiny tip they get to take orders, bring drinks (that you never refill), never clear plates, deliver food when it's luke-warm, etc...

But the people who keep your drinks full, your bread full, bring food as soon as it's done, clear your empty plates AND are personable but distant enough that they don't take precedence over your conversation/meal are worth tipping a lot. They are also pretty rare.

-Smak

I didn't exagerate it, I looked it up.

Dealing with asshole idiots is the basic requirement of every customer service job ever. You also have to deal with angry morons in retail or working at a reception desk.

Also what's with the racism, referring to idiot rednick white adults? If you had changed that sentence to idiot hoodrat black adults would it be ok?
    usually the people who fall under the racial stereotypes are the hard ones to serve, while the others usually don't tend to be as inconsiderate. Speaking the truth here, despite it being just a generalization. Not racist at all.

There are Asians who fall under the stereotype that I mentioned earlier who tip sh1t no matter how good the service because they are cheap.
    Not really sure about blacks.
    Whites are just demanding, which is fine since it is a hospitality service, but tip when the waiter is good. And stop getting mad for no reason.
    Hispanics always want hot oil/sauce and they always bring a sh1t load of kids who make so much mess. And they usually tip like sh1t.

Now the above I mentioned are the people who fall under the typical stereotype. As they get more upper class, the stereotype seems to fall off.
    Last edited by riseagainst; 08-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Off-topic here, I remember reading through the thread where people were talking about black people not tipping...

First off, my dad is 100% Mexican so I can stereotype all I want. I'll say this once, Mexican people NEVER tip; they are the cheapest bastards on the planet including my dad. I don't even know why, my dad has always worked (a good job too) but he never believed in tipping.

Black people are no where near as bad as Mexicans at tipping; heck I don't think a single friend of mine who is Mexican has ever tipped. But I will admit, they do try to avoid those situations by not eating out.

But when they do, I literally pay the tip for the entire group.