Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Brand fairly bland so far

Just to give some life to this place. It's been dead as of late

Quote:
"With the Celtics already sailing far ahead in the Atlantic Division, Elton Brand blames himself for not making the divisional race more competitive.

The Philadelphia 76ers signed the two-time All-Star away from the Clippers with a five-year, $82 million deal in the offseason. With an intriguing roster that includes two talented guards named Andre (Miller and Iguodala), budding star forward Thaddeus Young, and swatting center Samuel Dalembert, the Sixers expected that the addition of Brand in the post would make them a formidable team that could challenge Boston.

But as of yesterday morning, the Celtics (12-2) already owned a five-game lead in the Atlantic over Philadelphia, Toronto, and New York, who were all a mere 6-6.

"A lot is on me," said Brand. "We started off pretty bad and it was all on me. Other guys got deals and stuff. But I don't look at it that way. I look at it as it's all on me.

"I might not have the biggest contract. But I just felt that's what my job was, to come to this team and stabilize it and definitely make it a high-level contender."

Brand is fully recovered from a ruptured left Achilles' tendon that limited him to eight games last season with the Clippers. Even so, the 6-foot-9-inch, 254-pounder is averaging career worsts of 15.9 points, 3.1 turnovers, and a .428 shooting percentage thus far.

While Brand is very familiar with Miller, an ex-teammate in Los Angeles, he is slowly getting used to the other Sixers. So his numbers should improve, as he and his teammates get more comfortable with one another.

"We just came together," Brand said. "I just came to this team. These guys are young. It's going to take a while."

Said Miller, "He's fine. He brings a lot to the table. Defense, rebounding, blocked shots. We're just trying to adjust to him right now."

Like Brand, the Sixers as a whole are trying to figure things out. Philadelphia has beaten Sacramento by 34 points and won tough games at Toronto and Indiana. But they also lost to a doormat, Minnesota, were beaten by 23 points by Miami, and defeated the struggling Clippers by a slim 89-88 score at home Friday thanks to a game-winning Brand jumper.

"The pieces seem there, we just have to get it going," Brand said. "You can't say, 'Oh, two weeks.' It's a growth period we have to go through. We're improving every day and we're working at it. But we really can't give a timetable. I'm pretty sure it will come; I'm positive it will come eventually."

There is a lot of basketball still to be played. But with Jermaine O'Neal ailing in Toronto, the Sixers trying to find their identity, the Knicks caring more about salary-cap space than wins, and the Nets too young to make a run, the Celtics could finish the season with a lead similar to the 25-game cushion they had at the end of last season in the Atlantic."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._bland_so_far/

I know nba shouldn't be all about money but when you throw a player a big, big contract, you do expect them to show they were worth it. At least Brand seems to care *takes a look at Iguodala*

Last edited by artificial : 11-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Brand fairly bland so far

i blame alot on mo cheeks why does he not put in marshall or rush when they are down 3 instead they have iggy shooting. dont get me started on iggy he is a softy this year. all he does is attack the basket and does not even try to dunk he goes for a ****ty lay up that gets stripped and goes out all the time for a turnover. or he gets to the line and makes 1 of 2. he needs to attack the basket and dunk what he is known for. and dalembert is a ****ing joke saying he going to be a all-star. he always makes the worst decisions he'll put the ball on the floor at the top of the key then try to shoot he is ****ing garbage. he cant box out. he always get in foul trouble. thaddeus young is the only one that comes out to play every night i think we need to give him iggy's contract.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

donsanchez306 has an OK reputation so far

We haven't seen the real sixers yet ....trust me .....i know this is gonna sound f'd up but wait until after all-star break . these guys are gonna be beasts.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Thread's right on cue. Brand with 23/13/3/1 tonight.

But I can't blame his start on him. He's faced double-teams every time he's touched the ball. It's either forced out of his hands or it's a turnover. The games that they've used him the right way (pick n pop with Miller) he's been what we expected.

Curious about this Weds' game vs. Orlando. They're the team that double-teamed the **** outta him last time we played them. If Mo Cheeks doesn't come up with a new gameplan for this game then it's a guarenteed loss.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
RickyPryor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RickyPryor has an OK reputation so far

What 'blaming'? Who in their right mind expected more at this (ridiculously) early juncture.

He's fine; good even. Look at the attention he draws, for Pete sake. THAT alone increases our high percentage opportunities.
RickyPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

it's going to take an adjustment period, i just didn't think it would take 12+ games. We will get better and better with time. to be 7-6 right now is somewhat fortunate. We've had huge leads in a lot of games(blew the Atlanta game, almost blew the Warrior game). We also had decent leads in both the Toronto, Minnesota and Clipper games and blew all of those(ended up winning Clipper game). And we came back from a huge deficit vs the pacers. Idk, if we can learn to hold on to leads we could be 9-4 right now at least. But i'm not panicking. Iggy has struggled, but he's shown a little more life these past 2 outings. I know Sam makes some dumb decisions sometimes, but the guy can rebound and block shots, so don't take that from him. Just keep the faith, i've been as frustrated as anybody but they will right the ship.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

76ers4life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsanchez306
We haven't seen the real sixers yet ....trust me .....i know this is gonna sound f'd up but wait until after all-star break . these guys are gonna be beasts.
If your talking about last year when we went on that run may not happen again and it actually happened in March. I don't think you should rely on those things happening every year. You are either a good solid team or your not good teams don't have to rely on the all-star break to get things going because they handle buisness when the season starts till season's end. Also if you analyze last years run we had made you really think we were going to turn the corner. But as soon as April hit we lost nearly every game that month going right back to that consistently bad Sixer team that has showed up all season long. So how serious can you take that run if they turned right around and tanked the rest of the games that season. Fact is when a team turn that real corner they rarely ever go back around that corner again.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 11-25-2008 at 02:27 AM.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
donsanchez306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
If your talking about last year when we went on that run may not happen again and it actually happened in March. I don't think you should rely on those things happening every year. You are either a good solid team or your not good teams don't have to rely on the all-star break to get things going because they handle buisness when the season starts till season's end. Also if you analyze last years run we had made you really think we were going to turn the corner. But as soon as April hit we lost nearly every game that month going right back to that consistently bad Sixer team that has showed up all season long. So how serious can you take that run if they turned right around and tanked the rest of the games that season. Fact is when a team turn that real corner they rarely ever go back around that corner again.
i want to believe like david dochovny man. joing the lightside
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsanchez306
i want to believe like david dochovny man. joing the lightside
I know I how ya feel completely you can only believe for so long.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 11-26-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

cheeks has been awful so far. rush and marashall have to start getting singnificant playing time.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
cheeks has been awful so far. rush and marashall have to start getting singnificant playing time.
I don't blame Mo anymore, this team is just not that good. Who can you bring in that will make Iggy a more than below average shooter. No coach can make Andre Miller knock down open jumpers when Brand is doubled. This team overachieved last year. This years expectations were just too high for this team. I know some Sixers fans thought bringing in Brand would make us a post player away from being a great team and I was one of those. Bringing in Brand just made a bad shooting team worse. This team is flawed and cannot be fixed even if we had a coach better than Mo cheeks. Sammy is inconsistent, Lou is struggling Iggy is more of a 3rd option than a 1st or 2nd. He's just a dunker who racks up alot of rebounds and assists. The opposing team won't put him on their scouting report. Bottom line we just aren't that good. I don't put any game in the books as a win no matter who they play. Just like firing P.J. won't stop the thunder from being the worst team in the league. Mo Cheeks won't help this team be anymore talented than they already are.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 11-26-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #12
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
it's going to take an adjustment period, i just didn't think it would take 12+ games. We will get better and better with time. to be 7-6 right now is somewhat fortunate. We've had huge leads in a lot of games(blew the Atlanta game, almost blew the Warrior game). We also had decent leads in both the Toronto, Minnesota and Clipper games and blew all of those(ended up winning Clipper game). And we came back from a huge deficit vs the pacers. Idk, if we can learn to hold on to leads we could be 9-4 right now at least. But i'm not panicking. Iggy has struggled, but he's shown a little more life these past 2 outings. I know Sam makes some dumb decisions sometimes, but the guy can rebound and block shots, so don't take that from him. Just keep the faith, i've been as frustrated as anybody but they will right the ship.
They have adjusted trust me if they don't know each other by now they never will. How many more months do they need,nobody is injured, all of these guys have been together since day one. If they don't know each other by now it's because they don't want to know each other.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
donsanchez306

i was watching the orlando game and everytime brand had the ball some other player had reasoning to clog the lane. it is flat out retarded let the man operate he's not even down low. his best shots were mid to hi post jumpers i think that is what he does best on our team. brand was highly efficent when doing that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: