Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Jesus you're an idiot.
    Definitely.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-1552159/

I feel bad for anyone who is currently enrolled in the shit storm we call public school. Terrible teachers, boring subjects, zero student choice, stupid rules. We had a rule that nobody could wear jacket in our school. So you've got little 100 pound girls in class, middle of winter, freezing cold not allowed to wear jackets. Damn. Retarded.

The reason for the rule was because someone could conceal a gun in a jacket, due to paranoia about the school shootings. Somehow the reason is even dumber than the rule itself. Thanks to 2-3 idiots in other states, we have to suffer? And how is banning jackets going to prevent a school shooting? If someone wanted to shoot up the school, they weren't going to be prevented by a no jacket rule.

Teachers > principles > their higher ups > their higher ups. The higher up the chain you go, the more retarded they get when it comes to public schools.

Teachers have pretty bad pay from what I hear. Also, they don't work only 180 days a year on average. They have to work maybe a week to a month before and after the school year. I have also heard that some teachers need to do extra work in the summer.

Anyways, back to the video. Any teacher would be pissed if they were told how to do their job. I won't judge the teacher because I have not experienced taht particular class and there is no context to that video. Don't get me wrong, only passing packets and not going over them is blatantly bad teaching. Teaching is largely communication and simplification of complex ideas.

underpaid in terms of what? because they are job is important?

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    Damn, who was your teacher?

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    I hate that the attitude of a lot of teachers or people going into teaching is that it is for the pay check - which he says she said outright. You should go into teaching because you want to be an educator, not a high paid babysitter.
    But teachers don't make jack shit. For the most part, people know this but still get into education because they want to be a part of the system. Problem is the system is garbage.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Mrs. iPhone Autocorrect.

Serious playground baller MAC system's Avatar

Most teachers are shitheads that go into it cause it's an easy paycheck if you do bare minimum work. My mom's a teacher, and she makes one 100k a year doing it. But she is a department chair, avid supervisor, senior class advisor, link crew coordinator teaches on her prep period and has a class after school. Not to mention all the games and extracurricular activities she is at. She used to leave our house at 6 am and not get home til 6 or 7. There are teachers that are dedicated like that, and America needs to find them by paying teachers more. Require masters to teach in a public school and weed out the idiots who want to just collect a paycheck. Make school days longer. Get rid of standardized testing, because that is a waste of time. Take money out of the middle east and welfare homes nd put it into our schools. That is the most important thing right now for our future So we don't have a generation of kkids trying to emulate lil wayne and shit.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

My mother was and is a teacher...and my grandmother was a math and sunday school teacher for like 40 years.

But that doesnt mean they are underpaid.

Public schools are a joke these days, The extreme vast majority really is babysitting. I learned next to nothing after I left private school and schools have if anything gotten worse since my days.

More kids, more teaching to the test not for knowledge, and kids doing worse.

Being given a massive responsibility doesnt mean you are underpaid even if you arent good at it.

Even if teachers are good...most of the schools are so rigid they cant show it.

Pay a guy 200 thousand...if he has to teach from a text book, hand out work sheets, and teach to a statewide test for weeks at a time the kids still dont come out caring. Some say pay them more and more qualified people take the jobs...but run the numbers. Where is the money to come from? And its not like more education makes one better at teaching. The best teacher I ever had had passion...but he wasnt really that good at math...which he taught. Not like...brilliant. He taught from the book but he was just interesting...fun.

This isnt the 60s with black teachers smuggling books from white schools so little black kids could learn history.

I know teachers. Plural. My ex girlfriend is a second grade teacher. And as I said...my mom is one too.

But it isnt high on the underpaid list.

Ive worked retail. The money these people are used to generate is astounding and they get minimum wage.

I could go teach in high school...tomorrow. My defensive coordinator from football was my math teacher for 2 years. Handed out sheets, read from a book, and passed anyone useful to sports.

It isnt that hard to be an average teacher. Its hard to be a great one.

Most teachers arent doing anything to justify high pay. They possibly could...but not in the system America gives them.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 05-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Oh the Bealsanity

I'm a teacher over here in China.

I wish teachers would be as respected in America as they are here. Education is actually seen as a quality major unlike in America. Its nice to feel appreciated and respected.

And in turn, I've tried my best to make my lessons interesting. Students seem to like my classes and some of my students have really surprised me. I teach geography and history btw. And kindergarten.

Don't see myself teaching in America though. Don't want to get involved in that crap fest.
    Last edited by GatorKid117; 05-09-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Couple clowns in here.

I specifically remember my HS psych teacher citing these reasons for becoming a teacher after getting his degree:

1. Summers off
    2. 8-hour days

We did nothing in his class but watch movies and discuss current events. We all received 100s on our report cards after turning in the odd biweekly worksheet.

Dude made 80K+/year. It's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    K. anyways, ive stopped feeling for teachers a long time ago.

I agree with K Blaze

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    I think this is a good question to ask.
    Are teachers underpaid? Yes, the skillset of a good teacher generally means he or she will get paid better elsewhere, most markedly in science. Last time we had this discussion, I think I posted a link where there was a severe shortage of qualified educators in the stem fields. I think the necessary qualification to be considered "qualified" was a subject specific major or higher education.

Are good teachers underpaid? Sure, but good teachers need to be qualified to teach their subject. How will you challenge bright students if you are not learned in your subject? Currently, in a significant portion of our classrooms, we have education majors without a science minor teaching high school science classes. This is unacceptable.

Meritocracy and giving financial incentive to subject specific majors or phd's to teach in high schools is necessary. Good, qualified teachers are an invaluable investment and there needs to be a major perceptual change in what it means and what is expected of an educator.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cangri
    Maybe the first year, but after that they just recycle the same sht and same tests over and over again.
    Teachers are often rotated around the grde levels and what works for one level may not necessarily work for another. I's much harder than you think, especially for the elementary levels. Te kind of peparation that goes into each class is astonishing.

Being a future educator, I can't help but feel rage towards that "teacher," if she can even call herself that. Such audacity. If she was looking for a paycheck, she should be looking elsewhere coz that's not what this profession will get you. I've come to terms with that fact, knowing even that I'll probably live a much simpler life materially than I am now. However, when I think about all those kids Imma be helping in the future, I simply don't care about it anymore. This kid is right on the money. I really hope this video goes viral.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Teachers should actually be paid more than they are now. They have a very important role in the future of every nation on earth....however, it is up to the gov't to put a system in place to allow teachers to earn that sort of pay...and it's up to the people to want it. I mean, the way things are now, many teachers should be earning jack squat, but in reality they hold so much power over future generations that if the gov't acknowledged this, they would be trained in a way that would in turn lead to them being paid a lot. First, way more money has to be put into the teachers' own educational system.

People seem to focus on how little the teachers should make because of poor outcomes from the students....when the focus should be on why teachers aren't being trained in a way that would lead to better teaching and thus make it obvious they deserve to earn more. The people have to really want it first, but I don't see the local, state and federal gov'ts really being pressured much on a grand scale.

Just food for thought.
    All of this. Going into teaching seems to be a second option now for a lot of people. If they fail at what they want to do, they do teaching instead, it's not given the importance it needs to be given. Teachers need to be trained as thoroughly as doctors or engineers, they are that important. They shape the youth of the world at times and in matters that are very important, it should not be taken lightly. The school system needs some major changes.
    Last edited by Rockets(T-mac); 05-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.