Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       

Default Jon Stewart, this is your life.

i'm really enjoying these 'best moments' daily show clips.

this one here may be what he does most amazingly... appearing on another show, slamming it in front of a live audience, and helping to get the show cancelled within months. just... wow.

Jon Stewart on Crossfire

the rest are here:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...moments-2015-8

tonight is the last show, i believe.
    RIP, the daily show with jon stewart.
    Last edited by gigantes; 08-06-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: Jon Stewart, this is your life.

Never thought he was funny.

There's something about one guy having a show and telling you his opinion without anybody to challenge it.

Probably the same reason I hated Rome is Burning.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i'm really enjoying these 'best moments' daily show clips.

this one here may be what he does most amazingly... appearing on another show, slamming it in front of a live audience, and getting the show cancelled within months. just... wow.

Jon Stewart on Crossfire

the rest are here:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...moments-2015-8

RIP, the daily show with jon stewart.
    Wait... Do people actually believe this?

I remember this. Completely destroyed Tucker Carlson. The dude targets Fox News a lot more but some of his greatest moments are when he clowns CNN

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    CNN President said that his appearance on the show is a big reason why they eventually cancelled it.

NBA Superstar

I've always wondered if he played any role in the show's cancellation. I never paid enough attention to know one way or another. In the least, it'd seem CNN's president Jonathan Klein agreed with Stewart when it came to cancelling Crossfire.

Mr. Klein said he wanted to move CNN away from what he called "head-butting debate shows," which have become the staple of much of all-news television in the prime-time hours, especially at the top-rated Fox News Channel.

"CNN is a different animal," Mr. Klein said. "We report the news. Fox talks about the news. They're very good at what they do and we're very good at what we do."

Mr. Klein specifically cited the criticism that the comedian Jon Stewart leveled at "Crossfire" when he was a guest on the program during the presidential campaign. Mr. Stewart said that ranting partisan political shows on cable were "hurting America."

Mr. Klein said last night, "I agree wholeheartedly with Jon Stewart's overall premise." He said he believed that especially after the terror attacks on 9/11, viewers are interested in information, not opinion.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/06/bu...mmentator.html

Of course, unless there's more stories and explanations out there saying otherwise, Klein could have already been moving away from the format whether Stewart appeared or not. Or maybe Stewart provided the final push over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    I remember this. Completely destroyed Tucker Carlson. The dude targets Fox News a lot more but some of his greatest moments are when he clowns CNN

CNN President said that his appearance on the show is a big reason why they eventually cancelled it.
    I think that was kind of a face saving move. It also seems like he merely said, he agrees with Stewarts opinion, not that Stewart had anything to do with it.

The truth is though, the end was pretty much set in stone months before Stewart appeared on the show. Tucker Carlson specifically said that he told CNN he was leaving the network at the end of his contract months before Stewarts appearance.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

There's something about one guy having a show and telling you his opinion without anybody to challenge it.

Of course not. He skewers morons like you on a regular basis.

   

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

sounds like you hardly saw the show.

stewart had guests on all the time and was rarely (if ever) afraid to throw down with them if he felt that the issue warranted it. the link i gave earlier is full of such examples.

I think that was kind of a face saving move. It also seems like he merely said, he agrees with Stewarts opinion, not that Stewart had anything to do with it.

The truth is though, the end was pretty much set in stone months before Stewart appeared on the show. Tucker Carlson specifically said that he told CNN he was leaving the network at the end of his contract months before Stewarts appearance.
    of course you're entitled to your ideas, but i'm going off of what the CNN prez specifically said. however, i'll edit that to "helped to get cancelled."
    Last edited by gigantes; 08-06-2015 at 06:37 PM.

rank sentamentalist

he's right there with letterman and carson a future godfather of political comedy / late night entertainment... he's not leaving center stage though, give it another five years and we'll get more full frontal comedy from him

It's crazy how influential The Daily Show has been

Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Ed Helms, John Oliver are all pretty big comedians/actors/hosts now and they got their break working for Stewart. End of an era

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    It's crazy how influential The Daily Show has been

Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Ed Helms, John Oliver are all pretty big comedians/actors/hosts now and they got their break working for Stewart. End of an era
    i expect some of the older cast to move on with stewart, leaving the young writers to build something else with the south african guy, forget his name. which means that those old heads will be moving onto bigger and better and start to get name brand recognition. aasif mandvi, jason jones, samantha bee, john hodgman already has a good career, same with kristin schaal, wyatt the black guy

the best talent left there is al madrigal and jordan klepper who are both pretty new but product amazing segments every time. jessica williams is horrendous, ish will like that fact too because she's a woman and she's also black and she also does a lot of social justice baiting type stuff.

trevor noah is the name of the new guy. i listened to an interview with him and he didn't blow me away, but its a different game performing scripted material so i'll watch with an open mind. tho not nearly as often falling to presumably never a couple of months after stewart leaves. show won't be the same though it'll stick around for a while like the simpsons because younger viewers will always be attracted to that brand of satire.

You're right, most of the older folks have been moving on recently. I think Jason Jones and Samantha Bee left recently. I like the Egyptian dude who comes on every once in a while. He's like a Middle Eastern Jon Stewart

yea I'm hoping for the best from Noah but I'm keeping expectations a little low. Comedy Central missed out on getting Oliver to replace Stewart though. He was the perfect replacement although it worked out for him cause his show is amazing and one could argue it's even better

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    sounds like you hardly saw the show.

stewart had guests on all the time and was rarely (if ever) afraid to throw down with them if he felt that the issue warranted it. the link i gave earlier is full of such examples.

of course you're entitled to your ideas, but i'm going off of what the CNN prez specifically said. however, i'll edit that to "helped to get cancelled."
    Eh, he had good bits. Rob Riggle was on for a while, I like him.

Just seemed like his monologues ran a bit too long.

Jim Rome had guests too, but for stretches hed stand there and tell you his opinion on everything as if it was fact.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Of course not. He skewers morons like you on a regular basis.
    Still so salty.

Very good NBA starter

Got burned out on the show a long time ago. just got repetitive over the years and Stewart's shtick got old (to me). Kinda went from witty political/social commentary with great contributors to being a predictable mouthpiece/cheerleader for the left. I think guys like Colbert and Carrell moved on to bigger and better things... because they are bigger and better. Both of them are much funnier than Stewart imo. Having said that, he was funny at times, it was a comedy show and he provided some laughs.