Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Scottie Pipper Or Kevin Garnett: Who Would You Rather Build Around

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Pippen came into the league with the ability to play pg.
    But most teams would have played him at the 3.

He played pg for the Blazers even.
    He had already proven it at that point. He could write his own ticket.

The triangle had no true pg though, Pippen just brought the ball up at the top and was their best play maker.
    No it didn't. It was perfect for him and Jordan and Kerr and Fisher and so on and so on.

Pippen could have done a lot more damage offensively if he had played in an up tempo offense. That was clearly his best asset as an offensive player. He could get from one end to the other faster than almost anyone, he could handle the ball, he could pass, and he could finish with the best of them.
    Agreed.

I never understood by people think he would do worse on another team when the Bulls offense wasn't even geared toward what he did best offensively.
    In a lot of ways it was geared towards him to best succeed. The ball wouldn't have been in his hands for most teams. It would have been in Paxson's or BJ's.

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure he was actually averaging slightly more points in 95 than in 94. The scoring went down a bit when Jordan returned obviously.
    He was pushing 23-24

Kevin Garnet, easily.

College superstar

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure he was actually averaging slightly more points in 95 than in 94. The scoring went down a bit when Jordan returned obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    He was pushing 23-24
    Unless my calculations are off, he was avg. 21.9 ppg before MJ returned which is basically right where he was in '94.

More important question, how many could? Pippen came into the league with the ability to play pg. On his draft night when he was interviewed he said how he expected to start at forward and move to pg. He played pg for the Blazers even. Starting at pg not playing as a point forward. He was their starting pg in 2003 when he averaged 5.9apg in 32.2mpg at 36. It's not hard to imagine what he could have done if he was in his prime. The triangle had no true pg though, Pippen just brought the ball up at the top and was their best play maker. Either way Pippen could have done a lot more damage offensively if he had played in an up tempo offense. That was clearly his best asset as an offensive player. He could get from one end to the other faster than almost anyone, he could handle the ball, he could pass, and he could finish with the best of them. I never understood by people think he would do worse on another team when the Bulls offense wasn't even geared toward what he did best offensively.
    I agree. There's no doubt that had pippin been in a freer system, he wouldve avg more assists.

Gotta roll with KG on this one. Both guys are revolutionary players who rank high on the GOAT list for their respective positions. However, their has NEVER been a 7 footer remotely close to KG. KG could D up four positions and has a point forward type skillset. But KG was a great rebounder who used to lead the L in boards on multiple occasions. With KG at his best, u r getting a statline of 24 points, 14 boards, and 6 assists a night. U get that along with the best defense in the L for a power forward along with a Duncan.

When u factor defense, Pip was the best all around small forward of all time in my book. Yes even over Bird. I feel Lebron has now taken that mantle from Pippen though. Pip was the ultimate swiss army knife who has arguably the best perimeter defense of all time, redefined the SF position, and could get u 23 points a night. But both guys as total packages on both ends of the court are as good as it gets at their positions.

There's no doubt that had pippin been in a freer system, he wouldve avg more assists.
    There's plenty of doubt. He might not have had the ball in his hands and he wouldn't have had the greatest scorer of his time to dish to.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    There's plenty of doubt. He might not have had the ball in his hands and he wouldn't have had the greatest scorer of his time to dish to.

He averaged 5.9apg in 32.2mpg at 36 after multiple injuries and a lot of minutes played on the Blazers. That's bullshit to bring up Jordan as far as assist goes.

Home of the 16

Def Kg.

neither, they command big money... and need another elite piece to win it all.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    He was pushing 23-24
    Err, no. Pippen averaged 21.9 ppg before MJ returned in 1995.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

scottie pippen

for people who say they are comparable, somewhat..
    if they were the same height, pippen's better skillset would be more obvious

had actual pg level skills, sg skills, sf skills for an entire game

could defend all three positions at all nba level for an entire game

kg is versatile, and he can dribble for a big man but he's a forward...sf/pf
    decent center with size abuses kg for an entire game....and kg can play down low but not a bonafide center

both are obviously not alpha male players but pip is the better piece to start with...equivalent of a 5 tool baseball player

National High School Star

He averaged 5.9apg in 32.2mpg at 36 after multiple injuries and a lot of minutes played on the Blazers. That's bullshit to bring up Jordan as far as assist goes.
    ETHER. fukk that dude who dont know about pippens playmaking ability.

That's bullshit to bring up Jordan as far as assist goes.
    It is? I'd say that it's a valid point when you want to contend that he'd get even more assists without the greatest scorer of the time to go to.

equivalent of a 5 tool baseball player
    He was at best a streaky shooter. He wasn't a great half court player and defensively he was best filling passing lanes. KG had the whole package other than being too unselfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    It is? I'd say that it's a valid point when you want to contend that he'd get even more assists without the greatest scorer of the time to go to.

He was at best a streaky shooter. He wasn't a great half court player and defensively he was best filling passing lanes. KG had the whole package other than being too unselfish.
    Its obvious you ve never really watched pippen. Or the bulls for that matter. Pippen rarely got his assists off passes to Jordan. Jordan got a large portion of his points off isos and in the post. Not through pippen setting him up. And still pippen was a great distributor. On the dream team, pippen shared PG duties with magic Johnson. He led that team in assists. He has the most assists for a forward. As was said earlier, he avg 6 assists as a 36year old PG. He just didnt dominate the ball like most players. Phil Jackson implemented the triangle in an effort to stop or keep players from domimating the ball