Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Bill Russell the best defensive big man of all time, or merely a pioneer?

Last edited by jongib369; 02-09-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: Is Bill Russell the best defensive big man of all time, or merely a pioneer?

Mikan, Russell, Cousy, Oscar Robertson, and Chamberlain are pioneers

Default Re: Is Bill Russell the best defensive big man of all time, or merely a pioneer?

IMO best defensive anchor and the GOAT defensive player all-in-all, but he's not necessarily best one-on-one defender in the post (if that's what you meant by 'best defensive big man').

I think Russell's defensive prowess actually had him like a Rodman, KG, Gus Johsnon or Bron in that he could defend virtually SG-C and even a few PG's as well. He wasn't asked to do that, but I feel he was capable of doing that. In terms of an anchor in the back and post D, I feel he's up there too. But u had other bigs who were bigger and could see eye to eye with the giants. Russell at 6'9 or 6'10 would have actually been more suited to be a PF down the line in the later eras.

Best defender of all time.

5-time NBA All-Star

I think he was the one that gave team defense a lot of value. One could argue that he set the standard in that regards - and he used a very cerebral and winning approach to the game that wasn't matched as well. I don't know about him being a pioneer because there never were a series of players that said they wanted to PLAY like him. There isn't one that even claims his style or even his way or priorities.

I think the defenses now are way more sophisticated and way more successful than back then. So I personally don't give him the title best defensive player ever title. Best winner - hard to argue against that one.

Best strategic/mental defensive player of all time.

Poor Mans Joel Anthony at best..

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    Poor Mans Joel Anthony at best..
    Kobe's heart

One of the most overrated but also one of the best defensive big men of all time.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

I have Hakeem as the best defensive big man of all time , his post game is so talked about people forget just how amazing his defense was.

He stands out due to his leadership; he anchored his team to play way beyond their full potential, something very few players can do in this day and age.

He was a fierce defender... just look at him intimidating Wilt... expression don't lie

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by hon

He was a fierce defender... just look at him intimidating Wilt... expression don't lie
    Yeah, Wilt was so afraid of Russell..

Wilt was so afraid that he averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds per game against Russell over a span of 10 years and 142 games.

And lets not forget that Wilt scored 50 points or more 7 times against Russell and his career high against Russell was 62 points.

Russell is very overrated as a defender...

College superstar

As best as defense can be measured, and based upon the overwhelming consistency of the reports of the people who coached against him, players who played against him, and the media who watched him I would say that, Yes, Russell is more than likely the greatest defensive player ever.