Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: OT: Am I The Only One That Finds Oprah Irritating?

I think the jewish people actually started the practice of circumsion
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #17
HollaBolla
Banned

HollaBolla has an OK reputation so far

well maybe he's asian coz his wanker is so small
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
You make some good points and maybe you are correct.

It just doesn't make sense as to why she is worshipped the way she is. It seems to me as if she makes sure she is looked up to. She makes that extra effort just so that she can be recognized.

She's what, the only female, self made billionaire on the planet? And she's black... Many people, especially women, obviously respond favorably to that.

Also, like I said, when she's in the forefront handing out money or services, I don't necessarily think that she's doing it to be seen. Most of the time, it seems that she's looking to bring awareness to whatever problem she's addressing, and the remainder of the time, it's generally promotion for her show, giving away cars, clothes and such to audience members or guests...

She does have that outgoing, take charge personality that would lead some to misconstrue her motivation, but she's never struck me as someone looking to say, "Look at me, I'm so great. I give all this money to organizations. Aren't I great?"

Quote:
Someone like Paul Newman on the other hand, you have to look and look hard to find the great things he has done. He never makes the effort to show off his good deeds. There are many others that don't need to let the world know of their work for humanity.

There's a another side to that, and it really depends on what the good deed is. If Paul Newman were to give money to Nelson Mandela's 46664 Foundation, that would be great, but he could do so much more good if he took the opportunity to urge others to learn more about the foundation and the AIDS epidemic in general. Yeah, he's be putting himself out there, but there are times where it simply isn't enough to just give, or to just talk. Sometimes, you need to talk and then put your money where your mouth is to stress the importance of the issue, and from what I know, that's what Oprah generally does.

Quote:
If it can be agreed that Oprah indeed does it for the popularity of her show, then I can give her respect as a ruthless and successful business woman. But never as a humanitarian.

Ruthless isn't a word I'd use to describe Oprah, and I doubt that most of the donnations she makes to organizations and such are made as publicity for her show. I think the publicity is generally limited to those in attendence and her guests. Oprah gives far more outside the confines of her show than she does on her show.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
The thing that makes me laugh is she talks like a white woman and acts white, yet on Fresh Prince, they had her call Will Smith "young brutha". That was hilarious coming from Oprah.

One of the best episodes ever...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #20
Who'sKobe
Decent playground baller

Who'sKobe has an OK reputation so far

I don't watch the Oprah Winfrey Show enough to find her irritating, but her generosity is well known of. She does more to help people than 98% of the rich and famous. While this may be for ratings, you don't clearly know the intent. Bill Gates and Oprah are two billionaires that are well known for their charity efforts.
Who'sKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #21
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
She's what, the only female, self made billionaire on the planet? And she's black... Many people, especially women, obviously respond favorably to that.

Also, like I said, when she's in the forefront handing out money or services, I don't necessarily think that she's doing it to be seen. Most of the time, it seems that she's looking to bring awareness to whatever problem she's addressing, and the remainder of the time, it's generally promotion for her show, giving away cars, clothes and such to audience members or guests...

She does have that outgoing, take charge personality that would lead some to misconstrue her motivation, but she's never struck me as someone looking to say, "Look at me, I'm so great. I give all this money to organizations. Aren't I great?"

There's a another side to that, and it really depends on what the good deed is. If Paul Newman were to give money to Nelson Mandela's 46664 Foundation, that would be great, but he could do so much more good if he took the opportunity to urge others to learn more about the foundation and the AIDS epidemic in general. Yeah, he's be putting himself out there, but there are times where it simply isn't enough to just give, or to just talk. Sometimes, you need to talk and then put your money where your mouth is to stress the importance of the issue, and from what I know, that's what Oprah generally does.

Ruthless isn't a word I'd use to describe Oprah, and I doubt that most of the donnations she makes to organizations and such are made as publicity for her show. I think the publicity is generally limited to those in attendence and her guests. Oprah gives far more outside the confines of her show than she does on her show.

Enough to convince me that I may be wrong. Good stuff.

I guess I just have one of those "I don't like that look on her face" things going with her. I don't know.

For those who equated Barack into this thread, there is no connection. I totally and utterly respect Obama.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 AM   #22
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Barack Obama isn't Muslim; his father was a non-practicing Muslim. That's right-wing spin designed to scare you away from voting for him. Most sane right-wingers won't try to play the race card too heavily, so they have to play the Muslim card.

Quote:
Regardless of all her flaws, the fact is that she helps more people then she hurts(if she hurts anybody at all) All those who say she acts "white" are bigoted. Funny how it is always directed at well educated, articulant black people(Oprah, Barack Obama)

I'd consider John Kerry to be articulate. It's true that "articulate" seems to be thrown around a bit more towards blacks that are highly educated, but in some cases it's true and blacks shouldn't get offended about it.

Also, as for Oprah.. I think she's secretly a right-winger.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #23
number9baller
Can barely lace up my sneakers

number9baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I can't stand Oprah. I have no idea why every girl on the planet worships her like she is the second coming of Mother Theresa. Saying something bad about her in front of a chick is like mocking Christ himself.

once she gave a car to every attendee of her show.

oprah is not nothing special but a successful business woman.
number9baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #24
apriorist
High School Starter

apriorist has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Barack Obama isn't Muslim; his father was a non-practicing Muslim. That's right-wing spin designed to scare you away from voting for him. Most sane right-wingers won't try to play the race card too heavily, so they have to play the Muslim card.

I'd consider John Kerry to be articulate. It's true that "articulate" seems to be thrown around a bit more towards blacks that are highly educated, but in some cases it's true and blacks shouldn't get offended about it.

People on the Right rarely play the race card. For Liberals, it's the only card in their deck.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
apriorist
High School Starter

apriorist has an OK reputation so far

She seems like a pretty positive force to me. She's successful on her own merit from working hard, and she does a lot of good things to help people. However, there is not a lot of critical thinking going on her show. It seems to me like the answer to every problem in life to her is to meditate or some other New Age crap.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #26
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy

Oprah irritates me... She does alot of generous things and Im not knockin her for it.....

But, I always get the feeling that she is buying her fame and her good name... Its like if she ever stopped giving people gifts on her show or ever had something not nice to say about somebody, she'd lose all her popularity.

again she does alot of good, but it usually feels calculated in some effort to boost her image...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #27
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Hardtop Hero has an OK reputation so far

She annoys me because she comes across extremely fake and I hate that.

And the way she tongue kisses celebrity ass on her show is disgusting.

"We've got Tom Cruise on the shooooooooooooooooooooow". Blech.

The again I have a problem with our whole celebrity worshipping culture.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #28
Hardtop Hero
I hit open 5-footers

Hardtop Hero has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
People on the Right rarely play the race card. For Liberals, it's the only card in their deck.

Of course they don't. They want to pretend that everything is all equal in the USA and continue the status quo of white domination of the world. They don't want to rock that boat.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm in the minority here....see what some of you are saying. But me thing is this. Oprah really isnt my cup of tea. As far as supporting her show, magazine or whatever she ventures into? I really dont. I look at her as a powerful black woman with a lot of wealth who built her empire from the ground up. Cant knock that and her giving via charities or just in general. She went thru a lot growing up like most black folks and she was a black woman. But she prevailed and now she is a success story that people can look to as motivation. Brawd is a billionaire. Thats crazy. As kids growing up you used to say "I'm gonna be a millionaire!", "I'm gonna be a billionaire!", "No I'm gonna be a trillionaire!". She's at the 2nd level. Thats wild to me.

As far as liking her views or whatever? Eh, really dont listen much to her stances/positions on certain issues. So she really doesnt irritate or annoy me. And when i see her on tv, in a magazine article I dont have any negative feelings/vibes towards her. Oprah is doing big things. She may be for the upper middle class to upper clas society. The stuck up, uptight crowd...but atleast you know where she stands, her standards and you take it or leave it.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #30
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I'm in the minority here....see what some of you are saying. But me thing is this. Oprah really isnt my cup of tea. As far as supporting her show, magazine or whatever she ventures into? I really dont. I look at her as a powerful black woman with a lot of wealth who built her empire from the ground up. Cant knock that and her giving via charities or just in general. She went thru a lot growing up like most black folks and she was a black woman. But she prevailed and now she is a success story that people can look to as motivation. Brawd is a billionaire. Thats crazy. As kids growing up you used to say "I'm gonna be a millionaire!", "I'm gonna be a billionaire!", "No I'm gonna be a trillionaire!". She's at the 2nd level. Thats wild to me.

As far as liking her views or whatever? Eh, really dont listen much to her stances/positions on certain issues. So she really doesnt irritate or annoy me. And when i see her on tv, in a magazine article I dont have any negative feelings/vibes towards her. Oprah is doing big things. She may be for the upper middle class to upper clas society. The stuck up, uptight crowd...but atleast you know where she stands, her standards and you take it or leave it.

I'm the same way. It just doesn't bother me. I don't see much of Oprah, but even when I do, she generally comes off as likeable and generous. Isn't really that serious for me...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: