Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default What the **** happened to parents in our generation?

We have a little playground near our house. The parents sit and watch their kids play. The bigger kids play ball sometimes, and today they were throwing a basketball at eachother (like 8 to 11 year old.)

So they hit my wife, and throw the ball at me another time. SO i told them nicely that we'll make a deal, they don't throw the ball near my family, and we'll be fine. THey agree. To avoid being in the way, my wife and son sit near the bench. Me and my daughter (4) go play.

Twice more the ball comes over. The other kid runs behind my carriage and someone throws the ball by my carriage at the other kid. My son is 7 months old in the carriage.

SO basically i go off. I take the ball, and i tell them this has to stop. One of the kids laughs and i reemed him. Told him what he did. Asked if he understood what hitting a 7 month old with a fast thrown basketball could do. His parents come over to tell me i "should not scold other people's kids".

Wait, so
    1) They are not scolding him.
    2) I cannot scold him.

So what am i supposed to do? Leave, because 8 yr olds are bullying me? Beat their kids into the ground and then do he same to their parents? (Note: I reemed those parents, told them there kids had no respect and asked them why they felt there kids right to have fun superceded my baby's right to be in the carriage in the park.

We go to the park all the time. THe parents NEVER ( i mean NEVER) scold their kids, especially the boys. i've seen girls have their shorts pulled down and ran off with, 2 yr olds run over, etc. the parents just watch and NEVER scold the kids.

Did i miss something? Are our kids supposed to know right from wrong by trial and error?

Root Of All Evil

Default Re: What the **** happened to parents in our generation?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    We have a little playground near our house. The parents sit and watch their kids play. The bigger kids play ball sometimes, and today they were throwing a basketball at eachother (like 8 to 11 year old.)

So they hit my wife, and throw the ball at me another time. SO i told them nicely that we'll make a deal, they don't throw the ball near my family, and we'll be fine. THey agree. To avoid being in the way, my wife and son sit near the bench. Me and my daughter (4) go play.

Twice more the ball comes over. The other kid runs behind my carriage and someone throws the ball by my carriage at the other kid. My son is 7 months old in the carriage.

SO basically i go off. I take the ball, and i tell them this has to stop. One of the kids laughs and i reemed him. Told him what he did. Asked if he understood what hitting a 7 month old with a fast thrown basketball could do. His parents come over to tell me i "should not scold other people's kids".

Wait, so
    2) I cannot scold him.

So what am i supposed to do? Leave, because 8 yr olds are bullying me? Beat their kids into the ground and then do he same to their parents? (Note: I reemed those parents, told them there kids had no respect and asked them why they felt there kids right to have fun superceded my baby's right to be in the carriage in the park.

We go to the park all the time. THe parents NEVER ( i mean NEVER) scold their kids, especially the boys. i've seen girls have their shorts pulled down and ran off with, 2 yr olds run over, etc. the parents just watch and NEVER scold the kids.

Did i miss something? Are our kids supposed to know right from wrong by trial and error?
    You had every right to do what you did ...

Quite frankly, I would've laid into the other parents as well.

Go fukk yourselves ... you were defending your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Go fukk yourselves ... you were defending your family.

this.

Wait, so
    2) I cannot scold him.

sometimes i wish there was a law where people would have to pass a parenting competency test before they were allowed to have kids.

Decent college freshman

So what am i supposed to do? Leave, because 8 yr olds are bullying me? ?
    you should try to look alittle more off kilter. Their parents wouldn't step up and disrespect you like that if you wore a gold chain with diamond tooth and a doorag.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    If their parents came over I'd tell them to handle their kids.
    And if they didn't ... their heads were next after next.

You're a better man than I. I would've lost it a long time ago. You had every right to defend your family, **** those kids and their parents even harder. Ignorance of that magnitude should not be ignored.

Great college starter craigthomasb's Avatar

go round their house and tell them that if they arn't going to control, their kids then you will, then show them how you're going to do that by beating dad's ass infront of them

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I'd probably just walk over and tell them to make sure there kids are careful with the ball, you don't want one of your little one's almost getting hit with it again. If they can't understand that, not really sure what else you can do. I'd probably find a safer spot to hang with my family away from the nets or w.e the hoolagons are running around. Can't force 'em to listen and better safe than sorry over trying to save face or your "pride". Plus I doubt I'd want to get tough or in a screaming match with another parent over something so avoidable and be one of those people.

I honestly have no idea tho, I'm nowhere near being a parent

Haha, im glad im not the only one. The funny thing is, these little boys that these parents aren't scoldng them, they don't grow up tough, they grow up like little ******* not knowing how to behave. I remember player sports grownig up, and i hit one too many windows (houses and cars) with a ball but we ALWAYS stopped when people walked by, because you just did. And i didn't grow up white suburbia, i grew up sunset park brooklyn late 70's, early 80's one block away from the carter basically. and yet we still had enough sense not to do that because i guess we knew if you ****ed with someone's kids, you ****ed with your own safety. you grow up, move to a better neighborhood, and the kids are still douches because their parents are afraid to scold them because they might need therapy later in life.

sigh...

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

i remember being like 12 and me and my friends took somebody else's ball. his dad came out and said if we did it again 'i'll ****ing break you', we didnt do it again. kids respond to fear a lot quicker than reason, logic, or morals.

NBA Superstar

Wait, so
    2) I cannot scold him.

i think its generally a bad idea to try and tell a group of kids that age, or in their teen years, what to do although it really depends on the situation. you should've moved yourself and go on with whatever you're doing especially if you're with your wife/baby... maybe if you spazzed on them with some real threat of physical violence, but if they're not scared of you, and they were raised without being respectful to elders which a lot of ghetto kids are, they're going to be smart ass's. really not surprised tbh since there are a lot of unruly kids, and you condescending them just makes them want to be a dikk to you more where they'll purposely do it to mess with u.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i remember being like 12 and me and my friends took somebody else's ball. his dad came out and said if we did it again 'i'll ****ing break you', we didnt do it again. kids respond to fear a lot quicker than reason, logic, or morals.
    Impossible to generalize such a large group, like kids. Same situation, me and my buddies probably would have egged the house because you knew you could get a reaction out of him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    i think its generally a bad idea to try and tell a group of kids that age, or in their teen years, what to do although it really depends on the situation. you should've moved yourself and go on with whatever you're doing especially if you're with your wife/baby... maybe if you spazzed on them with some real threat of physical violence, but if they're not scared of you, and they were raised without being respectful to elders which a lot of ghetto kids are, they're going to be smart ass's. really not surprised tbh since there are a lot of unruly kids, and you condescending them just makes them want to be a dikk to you more where they'll purposely do it to mess with u.
    I stop reading around here

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    they're not ghetto kids. they are generally middle class, mostly arab (not a racial thing, we just have a large arab population in that park particularly) and pretty well off. Their parents send them to private schools in the neighborhood and they are spoiled rotten. i live in bay ridge, you need $800k to sniff owning a house and $1500 to rent - its certainly not ghetto. just spoiled dumbass kids with dumbass parents who don't want to scold their kids for fear their kids dont like them for ten seconds.