Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Being "smooth" on the court

This sounds a bit silly but I feel as though my game is not smooth. Some people say that my moves are too robotic like my crossover. I see players like John Wall, Kobe, etc. who have smooth, effortless, effective moves. How can I make my game "smooth"?

Banned

Default Re: Being "smooth" on the court

With your crossover it's all about being able to do all your moves subconsciously and string together moves to suit the situation as opposed to what you've practiced. Try to string together simple moves with a clear idea in your mind what the benefit of it will be because otherwise you'll be doing what the and1 type players do; dribbling stationery with a bunch of moves you've learnt in spare time.

Outside of your crossover all i can think of is form on your jumpshot and overall movement with the ball which comes down to pivots, hop steps, jumping etc comfortably with either foot.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

If you look or feel "robotic", then it's probably because you're going through the crossover motion instead of doing a natural crossover. Like both get you the same result, but one is like a natural fluid motion where you fake one way then cross and other other is like you're predetermined you're going to fake one way then cross.

I mean, in a game situation a crossover should be based off reaction, at least to me. If the defense shifts over, then you cross and if they stay planted then go by them without the crossover. It sounds like you're doing the crossover no matter what the defense gives you, making you seem robotic. You've made up your mind to cross over instead of using that as a move to attack what the defense gives you.

If you want to be smooth, just play freely. Don't restrict yourself to using certain moves if they aren't needed.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Don't try to model your shot or your cross of of someone else. It has to be natural like carpevicis said.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    If you look or feel "robotic", then it's probably because you're going through the crossover motion instead of doing a natural crossover. Like both get you the same result, but one is like a natural fluid motion where you fake one way then cross and other other is like you're predetermined you're going to fake one way then cross.

I mean, in a game situation a crossover should be based off reaction, at least to me. If the defense shifts over, then you cross and if they stay planted then go by them without the crossover. It sounds like you're doing the crossover no matter what the defense gives you, making you seem robotic. You've made up your mind to cross over instead of using that as a move to attack what the defense gives you.

If you want to be smooth, just play freely. Don't restrict yourself to using certain moves if they aren't needed.
    good post, i'd rep but i've given out too much

MannyO you really to forget about that , if you're efective with your robotic type of game .. just continue with that.

You need to create your own game, don't base yourself in other guys.

LAL|LAC

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    MannyO you really to forget about that , if you're efective with your robotic type of game .. just continue with that.

You need to create your own game, don't base yourself in other guys.
    This. if it works, who gives a f*ck?

Sounds like they're just mad cause they got their ankles broken.

Quote Originally Posted by LA KB24
    This. if it works, who gives a f*ck?

Sounds like they're just mad cause they got their ankles broken.

my crossover works from time to time like its not real effective. Lets say im playing average players I will catch them easily. But when playing against better competition my moves become predictable.

A.I for example when he crossed Jordan he knew in his mind that he wanted to cross Jordan he said it himself. He executed the crossover flawlessly and MJ bit on it. Im trying to have that smooth crossover which I feel is more effective. But not only the crossover but just overall playing the game with rhythm, my coach was like I gotta learn how to dance with it lol.

well i think the main thing is to play comfortable. The guys that are herky jerky and effective... that's just the way they play. They are never the best ones tho. The best are the Kobe's, Lebron's, Roys, etc... guys who just look so fluid and comfortable out there on the court... like they are playing pickup with some buddies. You shouldn't predetermine your moves much tho... it's ok to try a move and see what happens, but most stuff should be reactionary... including crossovers,

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Yep being comfortable, practicing the move, having confidence, and alot of things make you "smooth" on the court. You got to not think of "how to cross this guy" or "juke this guy". You have to think of "how to get past this guy and create a great scoring opportunity". For example, you feel like crossing someone. The person ends up not biting the fake. You could try to be an and1 player and do 10 crossovers until the other person starts laughing in their mind and bites for your pity, or you could have just exploded past the person and scored a point.

I'm not smooth in some thing that i have.
    My shoot is horrible, but it's like .. i score in that way so, i just practice that way .. if you see me playing you can't say i'm left or right handed until i shoot from outside. i take hit to the basket with both hands, and dribbling if someone give me a side i go with no problems.

i guess it's because when i was 10 until 12 i was right handed and then i changed to left.

hmm... let me give an example. My friend is real good in basketball right. He rarely even touches a basketball untill tryouts are coming up. But when he does play he is real good and his moves are smooth. Like his handle just naturally flows, when he crosses someone you look at it and are like how the f*ck did you fall for that. Then after he finishes abusing your teammate you decide to guard him and the same results happen. Its like you know there is some type of crossover or move coming but you just can't stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3E4HqKQVyw

look how tyreke's moves just flow hes not even trying but he is still effortlessly crossing those kids and getting to the basket with ease.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    hmm... let me give an example. My friend is real good in basketball right. He rarely even touches a basketball untill tryouts are coming up. But when he does play he is real good and his moves are smooth. Like his handle just naturally flows, when he crosses someone you look at it and are like how the f*ck did you fall for that. Then after he finishes abusing your teammate you decide to guard him and the same results happen. Its like you know there is some type of crossover or move coming but you just can't stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3E4HqKQVyw

look how tyreke's moves just flow hes not even trying but he is still effortlessly crossing those kids and getting to the basket with ease.
    I don't really like that video, because to me, many of the moves he uses are unnecessary. I especially don't like the last part, where he basically goes And1 on Deuce Bello. He doesn't even get past him, he does like 5 crossovers until dropping a shoulder into Bello and throwing up a shot. Everyone was like "wow he schooled Bello", yeah, he threw his body into him. It's like when someone crosses you and steps on your foot and everyone thinks you got dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    I don't really like that video, because to me, many of the moves he uses are unnecessary. I especially don't like the last part, where he basically goes And1 on Deuce Bello. He doesn't even get past him, he does like 5 crossovers until dropping a shoulder into Bello and throwing up a shot. Everyone was like "wow he schooled Bello", yeah, he threw his body into him. It's like when someone crosses you and steps on your foot and everyone thinks you got dropped.

yea it was unnecessary but then again he was basically toying with bello while bello was trying hard to stick D. He did get to the basket but got fouled and he didn't throw his body into him he just took it strong to the basket and bello really couldn't recover. This may not be the best example tho but Tyreke has a smooth game.