Default Texas AG challenges the SC ruling, says state workers can deny gay couples

Paxton calls the Supreme Court decision giving same-sex couples the right to marry a "lawless ruling" and says state workers can cite their religious objections in denying marriage licenses. He warned in a statement Sunday, June 28, 2015, that any clerk, justice of the peace or other administrator who declines to issue a license to a same-sex couple could face litigation or a fine. But in the nonbinding legal opinion, Paxton says "numerous lawyers" stand ready to defend, free of charge, any public official refusing to grant one.
    http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/Arti...urce=messaging

Default Re: Texas AG challenges the SC ruling, says state workers can deny gay couples

He will lose repeatedly in the courts and waste state money, but no doubt for the time he needs it will help him in a re-election bid or a step up to a near future run at a Senate seat in the state.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Texas AG challenges the SC ruling, says state workers can deny gay couples

Jesus Christ this is such a dumb thing to fight to the death over just admit you lost.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Jesus Christ this is such a dumb thing to fight to the death over just admit you lost.
    I've been saying that the Supreme Court just opened Pandora's box with their idiotic ruling. They chose to ignore the law and acted like the constitution in some vague way indicates that same sex marriage is a constitutionally mandated right, knowing fully well that it isn't. The constitution offers literally no opinion on the matter, therefore by constitutional law it's a matter to be legislated by the states.

The courts are now going to be absolutely FLOODED with religious freedom cases, and unlike the marriage question, the right to free exercise of religion actually is in the constitution.

If 5 justices could somehow pull a guaranteed right of same sex marriage out of nothing, I don't see how they're going to wiggle their way out of religious freedom which is an explicitly guaranteed right.

This is the consequence for the actions of 5 idiot judges. These morons just opened up the flood gates.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I've been saying that the Supreme Court just opened Pandora's box with their idiotic ruling. They chose to ignore the law and acted like the constitution in some vague way indicates that same sex marriage is a constitutionally mandated right, knowing fully well that it isn't. The constitution offers literally no opinion on the matter, therefore by constitutional law it's a matter to be legislated by the states.

The courts are now going to be absolutely FLOODED with religious freedom cases, and unlike the marriage question, the right to free exercise of religion actually is in the constitution.

If 5 justices could somehow pull a guaranteed right of same sex marriage out of nothing, I don't see how they're going to wiggle their way out of religious freedom which is an explicitly guaranteed right.

This is the consequence for the actions of 5 idiot judges. These morons just opened up the flood gates.
    I understand all of this, I'm fairly sure that's not why he's doing this, and even if he has purely law focused intentions, it's a terrible idea. No one will see it it that way, he has no chance of succeeding in blocking gay marriage permanently. If your entire house is on fire you leave, don't yell at the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I understand all of this, I'm fairly sure that's not why he's doing this, and even if he has purely law focused intentions, it's a terrible idea. No one will see it it that way, he has no chance of succeeding in blocking gay marriage permanently. If your entire house is on fire you leave, don't yell at the fire.
    But this is why I kept telling people that even though you got the result that you wanted, the way they chose to corrupt the process is going to have consequences.

They just kicked a hornets nest. Now the entire "screw those damn queers" crowd is going to flood the courts. And there was no need for it. Gay marriage was steadily going in 1 direction at a very fast pace. The vast majority of the states would have legalized gay marriage within the next 5 years anyway. Maybe there would be 1 or 2 holdouts, but it would pretty much be over and done with.

They now turned it into a polarized issue like abortion where although legal, they're gonna find loopholes and abuse the shit out of them. For example, if they got a "religious freedom" ruling that says individuals that have a religious objection don't have to issue same sex marriage licenses, you can bet there will be states that ONLY hire religious people for those jobs, de facto making it not possible to get a same sex marriage license.

And if you think "aww that won't happen" don't be so sure. The Supreme Court already ruled that employers can deny medical coverage for things they have a religious objection to. This isn't far off.
    Last edited by NumberSix; 06-29-2015 at 06:42 AM.