Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: San Antonio Express News - Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on tarma

As reported yesterday by both gts and me...
-----

Source: Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on tarmac

Quote:

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — A mechanical problem that forced the Spurs to spend seven hours on a tarmac in New Orleans early Tuesday morning could result in the defending NBA champions switching charters midway through the Western Conference finals, an NBA source said.

The team's bizarre travel story came seven weeks after Minnesota-based Champion Air, which transports several other NBA teams, including the Lakers, declared bankruptcy and announced it would ground its 16-plane fleet May 31.

But shortly after that announcement, NBA and Champion officials said the Spurs would continue flying the airline through the playoffs or until further notice.

Thanks to what happened in New Orleans, that could come sooner than expected.

Asked if the team, in light of what happened in New Orleans, would consider making a change soon, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “We'd consider walking. I have a feeling (general manager) R.C. (Buford) is on top of it.”

The NBA source said there's a good chance the Spurs could start using another carrier even before Champion ceases operations. Among the candidates, the source said, are a major airline carrier and a well-known charter entity. Northwest, the source said, will be the Spurs' carrier next season.

After beating the Hornets on Monday night to advance to play the Lakers, the Spurs arrived at the New Orleans airport set to fly one of Champion's Boeing 727s immediately to Los Angeles.

But when the mechanical problem came to their attention, the Spurs decided to spend the night in New Orleans while waiting for Champion to fly in another plane from Minneapolis.

With a major convention packing the city's hotels, the team was forced to spend the night on the tarmac until a new plane arrived around 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday. The team arrived in Los Angeles a few hours later.

All told, the Spurs spent about 11 hours on the plane.

“We got to the plane around midnight or something like that,” Popovich said. “Mechanical problem. No mechanic. Then no plane. Then no hotel. We called about 15 or 20 places, so we spent the evening on the plane. It was eventful, weird.”

This isn't the first time the Spurs have had problems with Champion since it announced bankruptcy. On April 5, what a team spokesman called “minor repairs” delayed a flight from Salt Lake City to Portland, Ore.

According to an examination of Federal Aviation Administration records by the San Antonio Express-News in April, Champion has racked up hundreds of safety and maintenance incidents while running its aged fleet on what the newspaper called a “taunt financial shoestring.”

The Lakers took news of the Spurs' travel nightmare in stride. Asked if he felt for the Spurs, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant said, “No. Not at all.”

Said Lakers forward Pau Gasol said, “There is no sympathy. This is not a time for sympathy... No sympathy. No mercy. This is a time to compete.”

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Fatso
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on tarma

Quote:
The Lakers took news of the Spurs' travel nightmare in stride. Asked if he felt for the Spurs, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant said, “No. Not at all.”

Said Lakers forward Pau Gasol said, “There is no sympathy. This is not a time for sympathy... No sympathy. No mercy. This is a time to compete.”

LOL, nice. From a fan's point-of-view, GOOD FOR YOU SPURS.
Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Laker4Lyfe
R.I.P Bootsie

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
As reported yesterday by both gts and me...
-----

Source: Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on tarmac

So do you think the "no rooms available" maybe was a little sore loser revenge? I mean it's funny they couldn't get a room anywhere in town.

I can only speak for myself but if I was on the other end of that phone call I may have told them we where booked even if it wasn't true if they had just ended my teams season.
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Airplane woes force Spurs to spend night on tarma

WoW!!!! Mitch is really working overtime to help us bring home a title....lol!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: