Saw a basketball once

Default Help with Basketball Weightlifting/Off-Season Workout Program

Ok well I am going to be a Sophmore in HS, and since its the summer and off-season, this is where success is really made.

I want to start some sort of Weightlifting/Workout plan thats going to help me, but the thing is, im not Workout Nut or Nutrition Expert to know what i should be doing. So If anyone can give me any tips, i'd be very very grateful. And if someone even actually put the time and effort to create one for me, i'd give you all the thanks in the world. I have even heard something about Rep or something and idk how that works because i am new here but if you tell me how i'l Rep you.

Ok here are some things that i dont know if you'l need but here are some details to give me tips:

* 14 years old, going to be a Sophmore next year in HS
    * 5'10 1/2 - 5'11. Am not Exact.
    * 160 lbs. Recently been losing a lil, like 5 pounds, but it alternates as i gain it back then lose it,
    * i play SF, SG, and can even play a little bit of PG, depends on how the coach is feeling. lol.
    * I play basketball Every day, there's the occasional 1 day too busy or something, but thats rare.
    * I play intense, like, sweat and all, hardcore sweat.
    * I can sometimes touch rim, thats occasional and how i'm feeling/how fresh i am
    * I've got somewhat muscle as i workout very rarely. The Last 2 weeks i have because of basketball and all, but i've stopped as camp stopped.

Now Nutrition Wise-
    I eat whatever i feel like. Whatever i have the option to eat. I do have like a little layer of fat on my stomach though.

Now, if anyone can give me some tips/workouts/workout plans/ anything, Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Help with Basketball Weightlifting/Off-Season Workout Program

Just hit the weigh room.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

basketball is a all around sport, anything helps in terms of muscle development, i also recommend transitional workouts (meaning exercises which work out more than one muscle groups at once) but the key to basketball is endurance! go to a full court and dribble the length of the court w/ off hand sprinting and do layups with your off hand and do it again for 50 times until you feel like throwing up, and then rest for 1 minute and do it all over again, no matter how strong you are physically, if your winded it don't matter! gotta be strong when your dead tired and thats what matters in bball! work on endurance and conditioning first and foremost!

with weightlifting... legs legs legs and shoulders, any leg work out especially squats (don't max, go heavy enough for 6-12 reps) lunges (do alot of these!) pylometrics (look it up) shoulder presses

and again work on endurance, im not talking about jogging, im talking about full out sprints! minimal rest, and all out sprints again

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

These threads always confuse me. I didn't play high school basketball, I played baseball and football. But we had highly structured off-season workouts. From about three weeks after football season ended till two-a-days started the next year, we had team weightlifting/conditioning sessions (obviously during baseball season I was with the baseball team, but you get the point.)

For you kids that start these threads...do your high school teams just not have workout programs or something? It always blows my mind when I hear about a college basketball player that had never lifted weights. Just blows my mind.

Learning to shoot layups 24Love's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    These threads always confuse me. I didn't play high school basketball, I played baseball and football. But we had highly structured off-season workouts. From about three weeks after football season ended till two-a-days started the next year, we had team weightlifting/conditioning sessions (obviously during baseball season I was with the baseball team, but you get the point.)

For you kids that start these threads...do your high school teams just not have workout programs or something? It always blows my mind when I hear about a college basketball player that had never lifted weights. Just blows my mind.
    Well it depends on the school.

Im from Canada and play on a great highschool AAAA basketball team. Our coach incourages us to lift weights, but he doesn't have the time to supervise. When basketball season finishes in febuary/march, we are basically left on our own for next season. He isn't a teacher so i understand that he can't come all the way to school to supervise about 10 guys to use a weightroom for an hour during the offseason.

I personally do lift weights and it pays off. Plus my AAU team gets to practice at a highschool with a superb weight room. Which is a plus. I don't know bout the states with weight training, but I'd say it depnds on the school's athletic initiative. So if a kid can't rely on his school for proper weight training he should just get a memebership at a community center.

you sound just like me except more athletic haha. i could PM you the workout plan i did last summer and this summer (gonna be a junior this yr.) and while doing this workout ive gained alot on my vertical and not alot of muscle mass but def. stronger and faster muscles. it requires no weights and just about two hrs a day. if ur interested let me no.

I usually hit open layups determined2win's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droth24
    you sound just like me except more athletic haha. i could PM you the workout plan i did last summer and this summer (gonna be a junior this yr.) and while doing this workout ive gained alot on my vertical and not alot of muscle mass but def. stronger and faster muscles. it requires no weights and just about two hrs a day. if ur interested let me no.
    sorry for hijacking, but im interested aswell.

Learning to shoot layups 24Love's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droth24
    im also interested

Allright. I start off with a series of dribbling drills which consist of…

30 seconds each hand.
    Pound dribble(waist height.)
    Pound dribble (as high as you can while being in triple threat.)
    Low dribble (as low as you can get the ball.)
    Rocker dribble
    Inside out dribbles
    Around one leg.

30 seconds.
    Figure eights
    Spider dribbles
    Behind back dribble
    Scissor dribbles.
    Two hand pound dribbles
    Two hand alt. dribbles.

45 seconds.(two ball)
    Dribble behind back and in front.
    Double crossover.
    Around one leg while dribbling a ball with other hand.

1 minute
    Dribble basketball while tossing tennis ball off of a wall continuously
    Dribble one tennis ball
    Rocker dribble with tennis ball
    Crossover with tennis ball.

Vertical training.
    Vertical training.

Max. Height jumps 20x 18x 16x 14x
    Lunge jumps 20x 18x 16x 14x
    Calf jumps 20x 20x 20x 20x
    One leg squat jumps. 10x 10x 8x
    Frog jumps 10x 10x 8x 6x
    Continuous calf jumps 200x 200x

Push Ups.- 50 50 50 50 50 50
    Crunches - 60 60 50 50 40 40
    Pull ups. 12 15 12 15 12 20
    Sit Ups.- 50 40 30 30 20 20
    Sh. Push ups MAX MAX MAX MAX MAX MAX
    Suic. P-ups 7 7 7
    Jump rope 200 100 200 100 200 300

i know you may have questions about what some of the workouts may be so just ask and ill explain.

Saw a basketball once

I would have to agree with you that the off season is when you can really separate yourself. I'm a bit removed from my playing days now, and I wish there had been something like this when I was around.

I would definitely agree with some of the stuff already posted. Conditioning is huge in basketball. Remember, no matter what sport/activity you're training for, you need to do things that are pertinent to that sport/activity.

It's always, always a good thing to have a well rounded work out regimen, but the bulk and focus of your workouts should revolve around mimicking what you're training for.

If you want to be faster you need to do speed drills that develop your fast twitch muscles. Conversely, if you want to run a faster mile you need to do endurance building exercises.

With that idea in mind, you'll want to push yourself no matter what it is. I know it sounds cheesy but think about your physiology for a second. If you train at a consistent level doing the same weight, reps, time or whatever the case may be, you will NEVER improve upon those numbers.

You have to ask your body to do things it can't do yet in order to get it there in the future.

One last thing that I wish I had access to when I was playing. Even though my shot at glory resides in city league games, I'm considering doing it anyway. I know a couple of kids that have increased their vertical jump significantly with very scientific program. I was a little skeptical when they told me about the program and I checked out the sales page (a little cheesy). The results were undeniable though. One kid 5'11" couldn't dunk, now he throws it down like he's 6'3". The other kid, while he is 6'2" couldn't dunk because he had no hops. Now he's throwing down like he's 6'8". Absolutely incredible. Anyway, I just thought I would pass it along. I always could touch the rim myself, but if I could of added even 4" inches to my vertical I would've been dunking.

I've included the link below if you want to check it out. I did a little research myself. Like I said, sales page is cheesy but it seems legit. Backed by Ganon Baker who is a skill coach to a lot of NBA players and sponsored by Nike.

Sorry this was such a long read, I guess I got a little carried away :)

http://offto.net/v3

Best of luck to you Baller4k96.

Saw a basketball once

[QUOTE=Droth24]Allright. I start off with a series of dribbling drills which consist of

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpetez
    How many times a week did you do this?
    usually 5 but sometimes i just do it mon tues thurs and friday

Saw a basketball once

That workout isn't nearly enough honestly...