Home of the 16

Exclamation Laker News: Lakers deny Rex Chapman tweet that Calipari will coach the Lakers

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ts-that-john-c

Update 9:36 p.m.: The Lakers acted fast to refute the rumor.

Lakers are refuting Calipari to Lakers story put out by Rex Chapman before NCAA tip: GM Mitch Kupchak says "rumor is untrue"

— Chris Dufresne (@DufresneLATimes) April 8, 2014
    Former Kentucky Wildcat and NBA veteran Rex Chapman tweeted Monday before the Wildcats faced UConn in the national championship game that Coach John Calipari is headed to LA... to coach the Los Angeles Lakers.

Was messin' 'round on Sat nite re: Cal. But word is - win or lose 2nite - it's a #DoneDeal ...Cal 2 La-La-Land 2 coach Mamba's Lakers. #NoBS

— Rex Chapman (@rexchapman) April 7, 2014
    I mean, Chapman is connected to the Kentucky program. And Mike D'Antoni has reportedly been on the hot seat with reports indicating that Kobe Bryant is not keen on him returning next season. And Calipari has long been linked with interest to various NBA coaching jobs.

But this seems a little weird, particularly the timing of it. Is Rex Chapman really that plugged into the situation?

If it is true, the big question is what Kobe Bryant would think of it. Is he on board with a coach whose first run in the pros with the Nets didn't end well, especially the part where his tream drafted Kerry Kittles over Bryant? (Calipari has maintained he was forced into that decision.)

It would be a bold move for a franchise looking to revive itself faced with serious challenges in returning to contender status. We'll see what happens after the national championship game.
    Thoughts?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: Laker News: Lakers deny Rex Chapman tweet that Calipari will coach the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    Would be interesting, I'm not really sure what to think of it, although there appears to be nothing more to it than a rumor but if it was true then it could be rather interesting, he hasn't coached that much in the NBA 3 seasons with one playoff appearance but he's been good in college from what I remember and have read/watched, maybe it could be a similar decision like the Celtics made with hiring Brad Stevens try a college coach (that's where the similarities kind of stop though given Stevens has great potential for a coach and is close to 20 years younger). It wouldn't surprise me at all for D'Antoni to be fired (unless they want to try and get a draft pick next year being absolutely terrible which would need to be given it's only top 5 protected), not entirely sure because I'm not that up to date with the mans coaching credentials or more so how they go to the NBA but he looks like he's had a pretty good college record, I don't think given the Lakers front office comments regarding Kobe the last few months after his contract extension I don't think Kobe's approval means THAT much anymore I don't think it will have as much of an impact on coaching hiring as it has in the past (when D'Antoni was hired I remember him saying when the Lakers asked him about D'Antoni coaching he said he didn't even know Phil was available). I suppose if they are trying to rebuild then they should go for a young assistant/up and comer but if they are trying to get a draft pick and win a title within Kobe's last 2-3 years (if he signs on for another year afterwards) then they need a more experienced coach so either way I don't quite see how this move makes sense for either unless they want him as a long term coach from college to progress and help whoever the draft pick the Lakers get.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Laker News: Lakers deny Rex Chapman tweet that Calipari will coach the Lakers

I think there's a really good chance the next Lakers coach could be a college guy. Tom Izzo, Calipari, and Coach K are definitely going to be in rumors. The list of guys that were pretty much just NBA coaches just isn't that good right now. I think it makes sense to go after someone who's had good success in college, kind of like what the Celtics did with Stevens. Calipari probably tried to recruit a lot of the young guys in the league now so I could see someone like that doing a good job of recruiting FA's as a NBA head coach. I know when he was with the Nets he didn't have the best record, but that roster wasn't all that good either. It could be a good fit.