Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Root Of All Evil

Default Re: Steve Nash Is The Most Overrated NBA Player Ever!!!

FYI people forget and act like he wasn't a perrenial All Star when he was on the Mavericks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    Nash is a run 'n gun guy... and likely on of the best point guards ever in that sort of offense.... I can't think of anyone better at it from that offensive perspective....

You'd be an idiot to take Nash over Magic in a run and gun system.

Magic ran a run and gun system and, you know, actually won something.

Nash is overrated. I have never seen anyone that hasn't won spit be so exalted [well maybe Dirk].

ShannonElementz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by KB24Fan
    There is no way that this guy should be put in the HOF he's a system point guard. He's no different than a college quarterback in a pass happy offense he gives you numbers thats it.... He's NEVER going to win a championship he has 2 MVPs that you can argue someone else could have one...
    He had 1 Great Season & Post season that was in 04-05 what else has he done....
    Just Venting...

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter

Nash is overrated. I have never seen anyone that hasn't won spit be so exalted [well maybe Dirk].
    So according to your logic .. Lebron, Durant, Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Melo are overrated as well?

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    So according to your logic .. Lebron, Durant, Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Melo are overrated as well?
    Seriously ...

I see a racial subtext with some people in here.

Point blank, Nash is one of the best PGs EVER ...

Steve Nash is a good playoffs performer.

The 2004-2007 Phoenix Suns were one of the greatest offensive teams of all time, but you guys must remember that defense wins championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Seriously ...

I see a racial subtext with some people in here.

Point blank, Nash is one of the best PGs EVER ...
    No racial subtext from me. I just feel that people overrate him constantly. Just last month, people were trying to say that Nash was better than Kidd.

And in this thread, someone said he was the greatest fast break PG ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KAJ=GOAT
    how good does Steve Nash make Kwame Brown?
    If Kwame was actually starting on the Suns and getting the minutes he got on the Lakers then I guarantee his scoring and efficiency would have improved. How are pre-teens such as yourself so clueless about this concept. If PG's couldn't make their teams more efficient on the offensive end(as most PG's run the offense) then there would be no reason in having them generally run it.

Why don't you go watch a few Suns games and see Nash constantly get the ball to any player on his team with a wide open shot, an easy alley-oop, a clear lane to the hoop etc. Kwame wouldn't be getting the ball dumped in to him for him to create for himself ever, it would be Nash creating for him and getting him the ball in a good situation.

I'm not saying Kwame would be known as a good or great player playing with Nash but you can definitely bet he would be more efficient and more confident.

Nash is just the player's player.
    People who love the fundamentals and team aspect of basketball love him.

the reason some people think he's overrated is that he's not athletic, doesn't score 30 a game and doesn't have the crazy stats (well, not in scoring)

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    No racial subtext from me. I just feel that people overrate him constantly. Just last month, people were trying to say that Nash was better than Kidd.
    Thats not blasphemous to say in the least. In fact thats a legitimate argument, either way. And techinically, with his two MVPs ... Nash has a better case at being ranked higher than Jason Kidd.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by dutchguy
    Nash is just the player's player.
    People who love the fundamentals and team aspect of basketball love him.
    Steve Nash is VERY flashy as well. Just not in a jump up and dunk on you kind of way.

Steve Nash is arguably the best offensive-minded point guard in NBA history. I believe him and Larry Bird are the only players to put up 50/40/90 in multiple seasons. His two MVP's alone will get him into the HOF. Like it or not, he is going.

Is he a system point guard? To an extent, yes. He was still a solid point guard in Dallas(18/8 was his best season, I believe he averaged 14/6 in his tenure), but D'Antoni's system definitely made his life easier and emphasized his strengths(fast breaks, constant passing and shooting).

Is he overrated? I personally say no until you start mentioning him with the all-time greats. Once you start comparing him with Magic, Stockton, Oscar, Isiah, Payton, and Kidd, it doesn't make him look good at all. These are all guys that not just made the Finals at least once, but guys that played defense and didn't get crushed by good defensive teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Steve Nash is VERY flashy as well. Just not in a jump up and dunk on you kind of way.
    exactly

I think Nash is an outstanding player, but he is overrated. It's hard to understand how people can praise a player so much for running a system that is proven to be ineffective deep in the playoffs. You can say "Well, if Amare hadn't gotten suspended..." and it's possible, but he did and they lost.

So, we have Nash who continues to play the same style even though he knows he will never win a ring with it... never improved his defense (and whoever said taking charges is legit but not flopping... 95% of the charges taken in the NBA are flops. ) It makes no sense.

I know you might flame me for saying this, but I believe D'antoni ball is meant to abuse the weaker teams. That's why it looks so good in the regular season but fails in the playoffs. If you look at the stats, you'll see what I mean.

So, Nash is a great player and he is an offensive genius, but I can't believe anyone would call him the greatest offensive point guard ever.

-Smak

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think Nash is an outstanding player, but he is overrated. It's hard to understand how people can praise a player so much for running a system that is proven to be ineffective deep in the playoffs. You can say "Well, if Amare hadn't gotten suspended..." and it's possible, but he did and they lost.

So, we have Nash who continues to play the same style even though he knows he will never win a ring with it... never improved his defense (and whoever said taking charges is legit but not flopping... 95% of the charges taken in the NBA are flops. ) It makes no sense.

I know you might flame me for saying this, but I believe D'antoni ball is meant to abuse the weaker teams. That's why it looks so good in the regular season but fails in the playoffs. If you look at the stats, you'll see what I mean.

So, Nash is a great player and he is an offensive genius, but I can't believe anyone would call him the greatest offensive point guard ever.

-Smak
    In 05/06 Nash got to the WCF without Amare Stoudemire and averaged 21/10 on 52%. It's fair to say with Amare Stoudemire there's a great chance they make the finals.

In 06/07 The Suns got majorly screwed and not just because of the suspensions. I've made a few big posts about this series and don't want to bother again but they were screwed in more ways then the suspensions.

Yes these are two if scenarios which could have played out the same way but I think its fair to say Nash would have at least one finals appearance.

As for calling him the greatest offensive PG ever, I think people are emphasizing efficiency and assists as well as the scoring. As far as pure scoring wise he may be the most efficient PG ever as someone else stated with his multiple 50/40/90 seasons. Throw in his assists and how much more efficient he makes his teammates to go along with his points on incredible efficiency and its fair to say he's one of the greatest offensive PG's ever when taking all of that into account.

I'm not saying he is THE best offensive PG ever but he definitely has a case. I'm interested in what other PG's you think are better offensively. Magic Johnson comes to mind and most people will probably say he is better offensively which is fair to say but who else and why?