Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Just how strong was Ben Wallace??

I was just watching Malice in the Palace again and when dude shoves Artest... Artest who's a big, strong dude goes flying back like 10 feet. I remember in the early 00's I heard that Wallace could bench press more than anybody in the NBA (well more than Shaq) and had ridiculous strength in the weight room in general.

I seriously think Wallace would have wrecked Artest if that fight had happened and it was the only time I've ever seen Artest look pretty shook. Anybody have any opinions or facts on the upper body or overall strength of Big Ben? Even now he's jacked as hell and stronger than a lot of guys in his late 30's.

Default Re: Just how strong was Ben Wallace??

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I was just watching Malice in the Palace again and when dude shoves Artest... Artest who's a big, strong dude goes flying back like 10 feet. I remember in the early 00's I heard that Wallace could bench press more than anybody in the NBA (well more than Shaq) and had ridiculous strength in the weight room in general.

I seriously think Wallace would have wrecked Artest if that fight had happened and it was the only time I've ever seen Artest look pretty shook. Anybody have any opinions or facts on the upper body or overall strength of Big Ben? Even now he's jacked as hell and stronger than a lot of guys in his late 30's.
    Had they actually fought and not flail at each other it would have been a great fight. Wallace was incredibly strong and could bench over 400, while Artest was massively strong himself and absolutely bat shit crazy.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Had they actually fought and not flail at each other it would have been a great fight. Wallace was incredibly strong and could bench over 400, while Artest was massively strong himself and absolutely bat shit crazy.
    What's crazier is after the shove unlike most NBA players who try to nut up.... Wallace actually charges Artest to continue before giving people a chance to break it up. In otherwords he really was going to throw down. None of the fake tough guy shit.

Clippersfan, it's time to go to bed bro.

Quote Originally Posted by zass
    That's old Shaq. Prime Shaq adds another poster to his massive collection.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    That's old Shaq. Prime Shaq adds another poster to his massive collection.

Prime shaq licks his chops because he's throwing Big Ben in the rim with the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86

Meh. The shove only sent Artest back that far because he didn't expect anything to happen.

Artest would wreck Wallace IMO. Dude was insanely big at that point. I'd say Artest was bigger than Wallace back then. Close to 270lbs.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

Artest would wreck Wallace IMO. Dude was insanely big at that point. I'd say Artest was bigger than Wallace back then. Close to 270lbs.
    Imo nethier would be hurt cause I seriously doubt ethier have any idea how to fight (like 99.9% of NBA players) basically they would just turn it into a wrestling match get exhasted and no one would have a scratch on them unless one they got from hitting the floor.

The only good punches/ hits ever landed in the NBA are cheap shots like Artest on Harden or Kenyon Martin on Maggette, I have never seen two guys exchange punches properly,its just basically grown men closing there eyes and throwing garbage weak haymakers.

Just being strong doesn't mean crap and I don't think people truely understand how hard it is to be a good fighter. It looks easy as hell on tv but its the hardest sport out even ESPN said so http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
    Last edited by andremiller07; 11-29-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Ron got caught way off guard when Ben pushed him like that, he didn't even foul him that hard to deserve it either. To me it looked like Ben felt outmatched, that's what dudes do when they're scared they like to attack first.

Strength wise, Ron had about 20 pounds on Ben so I wouldn't say he was stronger based on a sucker push.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Imo nethier would be hurt cause I seriously doubt ethier have any idea how to fight (like 99.9% of NBA players) basically they would just turn it into a wrestling match get exhasted and no one would have a scratch on them unless one they got from hitting the floor.

The only good punches/ hits ever landed in the NBA are cheap shots like Artest on Harden or Kenyon Martin on Maggette, I have never seen two guys exchange punches properly,its just basically grown men closing there eyes and throwing garbage weak haymakers.

Just being strong doesn't mean crap and I don't think people truely understand how hard it is to be a good fighter. It looks easy as hell on tv but its the hardest sport out even ESPN said so http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
    No MMA, that list is fail along with most ESPN rankings.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    No MMA, that list is fail along with most ESPN rankings.
    I am a fan of both sports and you can argue both ways imo, the thing that annoys the crap out of me in MMA is the horrible striking defense you have top fighters getting KO'ed by wild haymakers that are easy to see coming (e.g Martin Kampmann vs Johnny Hendrix).

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

shaq was stronger

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheeBeast
    Ron got caught way off guard when Ben pushed him like that, he didn't even foul him that hard to deserve it either. To me it looked like Ben felt outmatched, that's what dudes do when they're scared they like to attack first.

Strength wise, Ron had about 20 pounds on Ben so I wouldn't say he was stronger based on a sucker push.
    Ron Artest may have been caught off guard, but he knew what he was doing. He was doing something I'd employed in the past (and something Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions tried to pull off this past weekend). Artest delivered a shot to Wallace while trying to make it look accidental. From there, his game was to play the, "I no understand why you so mad?" angle.

Again, I've never struck anyone in the head like Artest did, but there were a lot of times where I'd annoy someone on the basketball court enough to ilicit a response, at which point I'd then act surprised they were responding so negatively. It was never a matter of who was tougher between me and my opponent, it was a manipulation of that opponent and maybe more importantly, the officials. I feel that was the case with Artest's hit on Wallace. He knew it was something he could slip in that folks would later say, "It doesn't even look that bad!" then his plan was to act surprised that Wallace would respond so poorly.

Essentially, I don't think it was some kind of physical feat when Wallace pushed Artest. Artest wasn't there to fight, because it was a basketball game. The Pistons and Pacers had a nasty rivalry brewing at that point, very much pre-dating this brawl. Corliss Williamson and company had some solid run-ins with Brad Miller and Jermaine O'Neal (at one point I think throwing a ball directly at O'Neal), and Artest's antics had been recognized by Detroit for some time, mostly recently when Artest lifted his forearm into Hamilton's face in the previous year's Eastern Conference Finals.

So when Wallace took that shot to the back of the head, he knew what was happening. Artest knew what was happening too. It's just trying to throw down with Wallace would have meant that Artest's own ruse was all for naught, so Ron relented and let himself be handled so he could play the "I'm fine, I don't know what his problem is" card.

Wallace was a ****ing idiot for that. So unnecessary.