Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Fiscal Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I'm not crying for rich people, but I don't think they should be vilified either. Yeah a few percentage points here and there won't mean the end of the world but what happens after that? Come back the next year and say we still need to squeeze you more? Where does it end?
    It ends when our deficit and debt is looking a little better. You get there by reducing spending and increasing revenue. I know it's hard for most conservatives to understand.

I'm content going back to Clinton era tax rates, making capital gains the same as regular income regarding taxes, creating some new brackets with higher rates for income after 1 million, 5 million, 10 million, 100 million, and 1 billion.

A good start.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    It ends when our deficit and debt is looking a little better. You get there by reducing spending and increasing revenue. I know it's hard for most conservatives to understand.

I'm content going back to Clinton era tax rates, making capital gains the same as regular income regarding taxes, creating some new brackets with higher rates for income after 1 million, 5 million, 10 million, 100 million, and 1 billion.

A good start.

"Say increasing revenue and higher rates one more goddamn time. I dare you"

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

"Say increasing revenue and higher rates one more goddamn time. I dare you"
    Grover Norquist is a weaselly little idiot and I have no idea how his essay he wrote when he was 12 years old became the mantra of the modern Republican party.

A good start.
    I'm with you there to a degree but sticking it to the wealthy much more beyond that is counter productive and won't reduce the deficit by any noticeable amount. But no doubt true reform is needed. I think the Tax Reform Act of 1986 was fair and balanced (no pun intended) and should be looked at as a map for further reform.

Serious playground baller General's Avatar

So if I'm hearing you correctly, whatever happens from the point of Obama getting the concessions from Congress on, is on him?

I'll bookmark this so in 4 years when (as the CBO, Moody's Analytical, and other organizations) the country has added a record 12-12.3 million jobs, there is a housing boom, the dysfunctional healthcare system is fixed, the GDP has doubled, etc... you can eat a nice helping off hot off the stove crow
    I'll bookmark this so in two years when there is a double dip recession and there are massive job losses you can eat crow.

That will never happen though because the Republicans won't let Obama go wild. They got elected too and they have their own mandate to keep taxes low. They are the last defense to stop Obama from destroying this nation.

Banned

Grover Norquist is a weaselly little idiot and I have no idea how his essay he wrote when he was 12 years old became the mantra of the modern Republican party.
    It is strange that he somehow has the entire Republican party by the balls, isn't it? I'm no conspiracy theorist but if people are still looking for the leader of the 'illuminati' or whatever shadowy organization is controlling the world, start by checking this dude out

He killed the American Jobs Act which would've added 2-2.6 million jobs to the economy, 1.5% to the GDP and now he wants to plunge the country into another recession... and Boehner and co. will ride with this guy until the end even though they must know better by now. Very strange. Take a look cons- if anyone is going to 'destroy' the country (and by extension the world at large), it's not Barry, it's your republican overlord Norquist.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by General
    I'll bookmark this so in two years when there is a double dip recession and there are massive job losses you can eat crow.

That will never happen though because the Republicans won't let Obama go wild. They got elected too and they have their own mandate to keep taxes low. They are the last defense to stop Obama from destroying this nation.
    That will only happen if Lord Norquist gets his wishes. All of the forecasts concerning from now until 2014 say jobs will be added, the unemployment rate will decrease, the GDP will grow, housing will strengthen. Everything is bullish outside of the fox news keep em scared and ignorant bubble. There's only one way we suffer a setback, and if that happens the Repubs will get a new mandate:

I don't really understand how the main GOP can be so stupid and do such a poor job of solidifying its base. I consider myself an independent but I have seriously conservative leanings. At several times throughout history, I'd have been a clear cut republican but they've just gotten so hypocritical.

You can't simultaneously cry about the debt being too high and steadfastly refuse to increase revenue. The fact of the matter is when you overspend your means you have to either increase your income or decrease your expenses. At this particular point in time there is no way a spending cut alone could get us back to where we need to be. We have to increase taxes. The fact that it's being fought so hard just boggles my mind. Ask for spending cuts to go with it? Sure, but to go in saying that raises aren't an option is just stupid. You back yourself into a corner where you are forced to either screw the country or give your future opponent a golden campaign video showing that you didn't do what you promised.

I really don't understand why they haven't come in saying. We realize there need to be tax/revenue increases. While we believe these increases go against our general party policy, we realize that they are at least temporarily necesarry and therefore we will agree to them on a basis to be a reevaluated at a later date. While we are willing to make these cuts, we also need dems to understand that some spending cuts will also need to take place(and while some of them will be military in nature, some also need to be entitlement programs)

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    I don't really understand how the main GOP can be so stupid and do such a poor job of solidifying its base. I consider myself an independent but I have seriously conservative leanings. At several times throughout history, I'd have been a clear cut republican but they've just gotten so hypocritical.

You can't simultaneously cry about the debt being too high and steadfastly refuse to increase revenue. The fact of the matter is when you overspend your means you have to either increase your income or decrease your expenses. At this particular point in time there is no way a spending cut alone could get us back to where we need to be. We have to increase taxes. The fact that it's being fought so hard just boggles my mind. Ask for spending cuts to go with it? Sure, but to go in saying that raises aren't an option is just stupid. You back yourself into a corner where you are forced to either screw the country or give your future opponent a golden campaign video showing that you didn't do what you promised.

I really don't understand why they haven't come in saying. We realize there need to be tax/revenue increases. While we believe these increases go against our general party policy, we realize that they are at least temporarily necesarry and therefore we will agree to them on a basis to be a reevaluated at a later date. While we are willing to make these cuts, we also need dems to understand that some spending cuts will also need to take place(and while some of them will be military in nature, some also need to be entitlement programs)
    i like dis guy

Banned

Someone should forward this to the death star so Emperor Norquist and Darth Boehner can read it.

Repped

That will only happen if Lord Norquist gets his wishes. All of the forecasts concerning from now until 2014 say jobs will be added, the unemployment rate will decrease, the GDP will grow, housing will strengthen. Everything is bullish outside of the fox news keep em scared and ignorant bubble. There's only one way we suffer a setback, and if that happens the Repubs will get a new mandate:

I certainly hope the forecasts are right. Remember very few people saw 2008 coming.

[QUOTE=DonDadda59]Barry O lays down the law:

[INDENT]Obama to open talks with $1.6 trillion plan to raise taxes on corporations, wealthy

By Zachary A. Goldfarb and Lori Montgomery, Published: November 13

President Obama is taking a hard line with congressional Republicans heading into negotiations over the year-end

The "growth" we are seeing now would not exist if Republicans didn't own the House.

Serious playground baller General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I certainly hope the forecasts are right. Remember very few people saw 2008 coming.
    The forecasts before the stimulus passed were all saying unemployment would be below 6% by now. Take anything the liberals cite with a grain of salt. The complete opposite is usually true. The only reason unemployment is not at 10-11% percent now is because the labor force shrunk so much, it's in a 30 year low.

It's different when raising revenue is taking from one group and giving to another.