Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: want hops

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: want hops

do plyometrics and light weights if you're younger instead of heavy weights.. it won't hurt you.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Here's my case:
    I've been working on my fundamentals for years and years now, and this summer I'm working on getting that extra jump to be able to draw the fouls and be able to finish, as that is my game. I've never done any programs etc. because I'm educated enough to understand that that will stunt my growth plates if I believe I'm correct. Now I'm turning 14 in September, and I'm 115 pounds, 5"6. I still don't plan to do any programs. On a good day, I can touch the red part that connects to the backboard if you understand, since it is around 3/4 inches below the rim.

I'm pretty light at 115 lbs when 5"6, and my arms are thin and my core is okay. Most of my power when shooting and finishing are from my legs. I don't have access to weights and I don't plan to, and my goal is to be able to touch rim. Put myself above the rest of guards in the league. Now any recommendations to what I shall do this summer? Here's what I have in mind.

Step 1: Light run, around 500m to warm up the muscles.
    Step 2: Warm up the calfs, hamstrings, quads, etc.
    Step 3: Jump rope for 10 minutes.
    Step 4: Sit ups 20 x 2 and Pushups 20 x 2
    Step 5: Stationary Bike 15 minutes. (I do 12km 30 minutes so around 5/6km)
    Step 6: Sit ups 20 x 2 and Pushups 20 x 2
    Step 7: Sprint 600m
    Step 8: Run lightly and stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal99
    I'm 17 and I probably jump less than any of you, but I can dunk better than all of you! So STFU and continue growing!!!
    Listen to this guy, he's 7'1.

No joke.

National High School Star

You guys should just focus on your fundamentals. Learn how to dribble, pass, shoot and how to position yourself. While still young, dont force your body too much. Let your body grow into you. Just keep on practicing and just be fit and healthy. Work on your strength on a latter age

When guys say it will stunt your growth, they don't mean you wont grow anymore, they're just saying you might not reach your maximum height potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Listen to this guy, he's 7'1.

No joke.
    So what???

So what???
    pic or u aint 7'1

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life
    pic or u aint 7'1
    Jus' tell what kind of picture do u want? Standing beside someone? Just tell me what kind of picture will express my height and you'll get it...

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

Jus' tell what kind of picture do u want? Standing beside someone? Just tell me what kind of picture will express my height and you'll get it...
    Standing beside a measuring tape holding a sign that says "ISH", a full body shot. Also be good if you can also stand beside a door frame.

My advice to all those younger than 15 asking about how to get hops is to work on your game and your skills. Once you hits 15 or 16 get on a good weight lifting program.

First, we have way to many arm chair quarterbacks giving advice on this topic. You are going to hurt these kids more then you help them. A program like Air Alert is not going to stunt their growth, its habitual jump training, it will lead to imbalances and injuries but won't stunt their growth, for those of you who actually care to research the subject you'll find out that kids who jump a lot while they are developing are taller then kids who don't... Kind of why life basketball and volleyball players are taller then average people, think about it. Air Alert and basic plyo programs won't hurt them. Everyone has given them advice but nobody has told them to go through a proper and full vertical jump test evaluation, which is pretty important since it uncovers power output and biomechanics inefficiencies in single muscle groups, the test is very easy to do but it consist of about 36 jumps and should be completed over the course of two to three days. You also want to go through a movement screen to diagnose imbalances before you start any kind of program or training, any program or trainer that doesn't take you thorough these two test before starting their workouts, should be laughed at then sued for malpractice. Stop feeding these kids information that will get them injured.
    http://www.program51.com
    http://jumpingj.proboards40.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxcPllTyRA

Not airballing my layups anymore

Question:
    How does jump rope increase your leaping ability?

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theparade
    Question:
    it is more for increasing your conditioning levels, it won't give you significant results if you are trying to jump higher.

Quote Originally Posted by theparade
    Question:
    Jumping rope will help with conditioning and you will see a small vertical jump increase but it won;t improve you vertical jump ability. Look at it like this If you lay on the sofa and do nothing but watch TV for 3 months then decided to run for 8 weeks, your vertical jump after 8 weeks of running will be higher then it was before you started your running routine simply because your legs are in better condition then they were when you were laying on the sofa. You have not created new motor pathways to improve vertical jump, you are just simply in better condition. At some point you are going to have to participate in a training program or regimen that will develop new motor pathways and neurological adaptations in order to truly improve your capacity to jump higher.
    http://www.program51.com
    http://jumpingj.proboards40.com/
    Check out some dunk and training videos at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxcPllTyRA