Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Olympic athletes told to keep mouths closed when in Rio's contaminated water

@ the Olympics

Earlier this week, Olympic athletes expressed their concerns over accommodations in the Olympic Village, where only 12 out of 31 buildings passed safety inspections. Now, they face another hurdle -- and the games have not even started yet.

Health experts in Brazil have told athletes to keep their mouths shut when in Rio de Janeiro's contaminated water. According to The New York Times, scientists have tested the water and found an innumerable amount of toxins, including rotaviruses that cause vomiting and diarrhea and potentially fatal "superbacteria."

SEE ALSO: Biggest upsets in summer Olympic history

Guanabara Bay, where Rio will host windsurfing and sailing events during the Olympics, is heavily polluted. What's more, researchers from the Federal University of Rio have found that the beaches where spectators will observe the games are also dangerous and covered with garbage.

The Brazilian government acknowledged a problem with the nation's waters in Guanabara Bay seven years ago, and promised to clean them up. Officials have now said that their efforts have been ineffective.

Default Re: Olympic athletes told to keep mouths closed when in Rio's contaminated water

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    @ the Olympics
    It's a shitshow. Literally and figuratively.

Default Re: Olympic athletes told to keep mouths closed when in Rio's contaminated water

If I'm an athlete....I steer clear of this one. I would refuse to go there. It sounds nightmarish.

Banned

Brazil sounds like a bigger shitter version of Mexico from all these descriptions and reports coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    If I'm an athlete....I steer clear of this one. I would refuse to go there. It sounds nightmarish.
    They would have trained heavily the last 4 years for nothing then. Also, waiting another 4 years can be the difference between winning a medal and never winning a medal. Skipping this year's Olympics could mean skipping your prime.

I'd take the risk if I was competing. Just stay in the shitty hotels they'll have set up. It's only a few weeks anyway.

why would they award this place the olympics .. someone got rich over this

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    why would they award this place the olympics .. someone got rich over this
    Naw. It's the Olympic Selection Committee's version of affirmative action.

this is so stupid. this place is not suitable for an international event that draws hundreds of thousands of people to. Im assuming they are trying to make it reasonably suitable, but that aint going to happen. its just stressfull for everyone involved because anything bad can happen, its not worth it.

Very good NBA starter

my biggest impression of brazil will always be the time i waited for almost 3 hours to mail something when only 2 people were in front of me. it was f--king unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Brazil sounds like a bigger shitter version of Mexico from all these descriptions and reports coming in.
    Call me when Israel hosts the Olympics or the World Cup like Mexico already has.

And yeah, these Olympics held in Brasil look like they're headed towards disaster

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Call me when Israel hosts the Olympics or the World Cup like Mexico already has.
    He's not Israeli. What does Israel have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    He's not Israeli. What does Israel have to do with anything?
    He sees Israel as the homeland

You've never noticed he gets defensive when people say anything bad about Israel?

and what does Mexico have to do with Brasil, they aren't even on the same continent nor speak the same language?
    Last edited by TheMan; 07-31-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    my biggest impression of brazil will always be the time i waited for almost 3 hours to mail something when only 2 people were in front of me. it was f--king unbelievable.
    Sound like Miami airport, ha.

Banned

And yeah, these Olympics held in Brasil look like they're headed towards disaster
    I'm not Israeli. Also Israel is a relatively wealthy first world nation so I doubt the problems plaguing the hypothetical imaginary Israeli olympics would plague the Rio games.

What point were you attempting to make?

Banned

He sees Israel as the homeland

You've never noticed he gets defensive when people say anything bad about Israel?

and what does Mexico have to do with Brasil, they aren't even on the same continent nor speak the same language?
    No I don't.

USA is my homeland and I am American.

What does Mexico have to do with Brazil?

Both are corrupt nations with a lot of crime, gangs, drugs and problems with clean water.

I commented that Brazil seems like it is far worse off than Mexico currently is. It is also much bigger than Mexico. Hence my description "A bigger shitter version of Mexico."