Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Today's guys that practice MMA are a bunch of douches and meatheads

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    It's a douchebag sport where White Bros can succeed.
    Exactly. Good thing this "sport" is a fad.

it's the purest combat sport in the world and is more ethnically diverse than boxing or wrestling.

DGARAS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

op is on dat dere phaggy time... he's just mad that he can't train tapout like these guys and get girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp
    Exactly. Good thing this "sport" is a fad.
    Isn't everything a fad?

And MMA is not a sport. It's a combination of martial arts. It just so happens that BJJ has a strong hold on the sport seeing how it originated from Brazil.

Hopefully that'll change, but I doubt it. That's why Pride's product was so much better than UFC's. Boxing ring that promotes less running away, more confrontation and less cage hugging. Judging was a lot better too.

Quote Originally Posted by DGARAS
    op is on dat dere phaggy time... he's just mad that he can't train tapout like these guys and get girls.

Isn't everything a fad?

And MMA is not a sport. It's a combination of martial arts. It just so happens that BJJ has a strong hold on the sport seeing how it originated from Brazil.

Hopefully that'll change, but I doubt it. That's why Pride's product was so much better than UFC's. Boxing ring that promotes less running away, more confrontation and less cage hugging. Judging was a lot better too.
    i miss pride. it was a much more entertaining product to watch

the biggest problem I have with the douche portion of people who follow and practice MMA is that they seem to be overly aggressive and always looking for a reason to fight.

at least with something like a douche Hipster, Hippy or whatever other sub culture there is, you know most usual negative responses are not going to include a dude bowing up and challenging you to a fight.

of course, there were a lot of dudes like the current trendy MMA people doing martial arts in the 80s that were the same style of aggressive asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    There was a difference back then and today. Obviously guys like you and me with a TMA background and people we trained with were more level headed outside of the club. Sure, there were the bullies with the black belts but they used there aggression more to intimedate and earn respect through force, and that they did. They were more assholes with agendas, but at least they were scary and accomplished what they sought out for.
    Another difference is that there are a bunch more McDojos out there now. They don't really care about the honor, respect, discipline, etc... side of it, they just care about making money. They're also lenient handing out belts.

There is a difference in attitude as well between yesteryears bullies and todays meatheads. Back then the at least they gained a sense of respect through scare tactics. Today people have no respect for them at all.
    That's probably because they go to classes for a couple weeks and then they think they're Anderson Silva or GSP. It's kind of like some people who join the military. They go through training, come out and then think they're Rambo or John Matrix from Commando.

I've definitely seen the sort of stuff you are talking about, but never at an actual MMA gym, in terms of the majority. Yeah, there are definitely assholes, but there will be wherever you go and in any environment (whether MMA, another sport, or some traditional career field). The vast majority of guys that I have trained with (I've only trained at 4 different gyms) are extremely nice and supportive guys. Mostly everybody is there to make themselves better and also help you get better.

When you are testing for your blue belt in BJJ, helping you train before you have to go take your test. Then when you get it, ceremoniously and jokingly beating you with their belts as you go to get yours. They are genuinely happy for you and you create a kind of bond with them.

Yeah, you are going to have those tools who are in their affliction shirts and poser UFC shirts (not all are, but a lot of the types you are describing fit this mold). And those guys typically don't last in the gyms, from what I have seen. They are not dedicated to the sport/art. They are simply there to learn a few cool moves to show their buddies or (in the case you witnessed) to show somebody 'who's boss'. They don't respect the sport, the reason for it, the training, or the value of the knowledge they have gained and when it is appropriate to use it.

But again, those dudes typically don't last in gyms. The trainers there don't want to waste their time training some asshole and they typically weed them out by either kicking them out, working them to death and even more harshly than normal, or simply embarrassing them and revealing how much of a 'tough' guy they really aren't.

It also depends on whether it is a MMA gym, Dojo for one specific discipline, or a boxing training center. Then it depends on who is running it. There are so many jokes for dojos out there- like 'John's Karate Kick Center!' and lame shit like that, where it is more designed to entertain kids, have fun, and run around for a couple of hours. Now, those can still teach values and such, but you really don't feel the weight of it compared to a traditional and very serious dojo (I have been a part of both growing up). With MMA, it's different, but similar, in that it depends on the quality of the training staff, where they're from, how they were brought into the sport, etc.

I was into the sport big time for several years (4 or 5), but in the last year or so, I haven't really kept up with it (aside from watching the UFCs and various other, smaller events), much less trained. It's definitely a lot of fun and challenging. If you have good people, who are willing to teach you and know how to drive you and push you to your best, then it is completely worth it. I've just been so focused on volleyball in the last year, along with school, work, and free time. I tried going to a club thing at the school here, but I ended up flaking out after a month or two because I focused on vball primarily.

Ive been training in boxing for the past 2 months and i LOVE it! great boxing atmosphere, great fighters and lots of people ready to help you out.

I have encountered some cocky guys there but no one is arrogant and gonna act like they are superior to you

NBA Superstar

so true

What kind of vball do you play judges?

I picked up beach vball this summer as an alternative to bball all the time. Played 2-3 days a week, so much fun. It's a little cold now so I'm just bballin til it hits 80 again.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    What kind of vball do you play judges?

I picked up beach vball this summer as an alternative to bball all the time. Played 2-3 days a week, so much fun. It's a little cold now so I'm just bballin til it hits 80 again.
    For years (from 11th grade to present) I only played beach vball, for fun. Got pretty good at it (won a B-level tourny with some friends, really easily, but not good enough for A-level).

Then, last semester (Spring '10), I joined the volleyball club and tried out for the club team, which is indoor. So for the last 7-8 months, I have pretty much just played indoor, aside from beach whenever I could. It's definitely different and I prob prefer beach. I never had fundamental, basic volleyball training, so it's fun to actually learn and be taught correct form and where you should be on the court (aside from just instinct, like before) depending on the placement of the ball, etc.

It's definitely a fun sport.