Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

Default Need help: Team is a mess (need guards)

I drafted this team a while ago, so made several mistakes based on preseason hype, including grabbing Anthony Randolph. The biggest problem is that I grabbed all big men early on because of value/ADP and was surprised at a run on guards that left me without any guards, then Miller got injured. Now I'm scrambing to find a decent guard. My general strategy for deeper leagues is to grab the best player available (particularly bigs) and then trade them to teams desperate for decent centers.

Who should I trade? What guards should I target? Should I grab anything off waivers?

It looks like Gordon, Hinrich, and Williams need to go, but the waiver is pretty thin. I'm not sure if anyone wants Randolph after his crappy pre-season.

14-team roto, standard 9-cat

PG: Mike Conley
SG: Louis Williams
G: Kirk Hinrich
SF: Danny Granger
PF: David Lee
F: David West
C: Tim Duncan
C: Lamarcus Aldridge
Util: Anthony Randolph (who looks like he might be waiver fodder)
Util: Paul Milsap
Bench: Carlos Boozer (inj)
Bench: Mike Miller (inj)
Bench: Ben Gordon

Waiver players of note:
Serge Ibaka
DeMar DeRozan
James Harden
Ramon Sessions
Johnny Flynn
Taj Gibson
Austin Daye
sportin_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

Default Re: Need help: Team is a mess (need guards)

So it turns out this team wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Conley, Williams, Gordon and Hinrich are all playing better than I anticipated considering I took them as my last 4 picks. I still think my team needs restructuring and figure the best way might be to try doing package deals.

Do you guys think Anthony Randolph is going to have any value? I am panicking on him because he had such a poor pre-season and now he's injured --- and speculation is that when he does return, he won't get much playing time. I'm debating if I should try packaging him with one of my guards (Williams, Gordon or Hinrich) for a mid-rounder guard before he becomes guaranteed waiver fodder. Should I go after Jrue Holiday since his stock is probably at an all-season low after his crappy 1st two games?

Anthony Randolph and Hinrich (or Ben Gordon) for Jrue Holiday (and filler)? Would that be a bad trade on my part?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

If Ibaka or even Taj are still available, I'd drop Miller for one of them immediately, with Ibaka having priority because of Boozer's impending return and its effect on Taj. There's no sense in holding MM until January IMO.

Conley and Gordon should have relatively similar value going forward for your team, but I wouldnt expect Hinrich or Lou to keep up their current pace. Once Arenas is back, Hinrich will lose significant mins, and Lou is probably going to lose mins/touches when (or maybe if?) Holiday starts playing at a better clip.

I'd personally hold AR only because its hard to know where he's going to fall in the rotation right now - D'Antoni is playing 11 guys deep, which isnt his usual style. Considering your bigs arent traditional shot blockers (Lee, West, Boozer, even Aldridge) you may need the blocks from AR more than you think. IMO the Knicks are running everyone out there because they want to showcase multiple guys' "talent" to help force the Nuggets (or other potential teams in a 3 way) into trading for Melo. My hope is that D'Antoni goes back to his 7-9 man rotation soon, and eventually AR becomes a part of that second unit with Turiaf. If he's dealt to the Nuggets, its hard to say what his mins and stats would look like. Considering how pissed you could potentially be if you dropped him and he exploded, coupled with a sparse waiver wire in a 14 teamer and the fact that you'd be holding an injured MM instead, I don't think dropping him is worth it.

Holiday and Collison are two PGs to target right now, and your AR+Gordon offer could potentially land you Holiday. It depends on the other owners needs and your view of how they'll play going forward, but Collison should be had for Millsap or Aldridge easily, and you might even be able to land Deron for Duncan.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

Thanks for your input Ben! Someone grabbed Ibaka while I was holding onto Hinrich. Arenas is back soon, but I was able to find Bibby on waivers so I grabbed Bibby for Hinrich. I hope Bibby holds onto the starting spot for the year, he's been playing a lot better than last year so far.

My guards are now:
Conley (big surprise so far)
Lou Will (looks like he's getting a lot of PT)
Ben Gordon (looks like he's good to go for 3's but not much else)
Bibby

Not too bad overall? I need to get rid of Aldridge and Randolph. I'm thinking of moving David Lee also because I don't think he's going to get the touches this year, based on the 1st 2 games.

I'm hanging onto Mike Miller mainly because I think he's going to offer huge value in Miami and our waivers are thin.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Who else is on waivers?
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

DeMar DeRozan
Ramon Sessions
Johnny Flynn
Austin Daye
James Jones

That's pretty much the interesting ones. Flynn is intriguing but he's not back for a while either.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: