Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Thunder sign Russell Westbrook to multi-year extension!

The Oklahoma City Thunder have signed guard Russell Westbrook to a multi-year extension, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti. Multiple reports say the deal is for five years and $78 million.

“We are thrilled to solidify Russell’s future with the Thunder,” said Presti. “Since we arrived in Oklahoma City, Russell’s work ethic, persistence, character, and involvement in our community have helped us establish the standards that we are committed to on a day-to-day basis. He is a valued member of our organization and we look forward to his continued contributions on and off the floor.”

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9095#ixzz1jviPej8t
    Last edited by insidehoops; 01-19-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Blu Ray

Default Re: Westbrook Extended

So two games go him an extension?

Banned

Damn, so I guess he didn't want to try to get the Derrick Rose rule extension...still a nice check though.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Good for OKC. I thought OKC was offering $80 mil and Westbrook wanted like $90 though. [COLOR="White"]*Waits for Jeff to edit this with a link to insidehoops.[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
    Damn, so I guess he didn't want to try to get the Derrick Rose rule extension...still a nice check though.
    It wasn't possible for OKC to pay him any more than they did in this deal. Teams are only allowed one "designated player," and Durant already took that slot for the Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Good for OKC. I thought OKC was offering $80 mil and Westbrook wanted like $90 though. [COLOR="White"]*Waits for Jeff to edit this with a link to insidehoops.[/COLOR]
    That isn't possible under the CBA. Westbrook was only eligible for a 25% max contract, Durant was eligible for the 30% max.

Glad to see him get paid and give somewhat of a discount, considering he could have gotten more if he drug out the process. OKCs FO knows what they are doing, extending durant and then Westbrook quick and quietly

Quote Originally Posted by KBryant24
    Glad to see him get paid and give somewhat of a discount, considering he could have gotten more if he drug out the process. OKCs FO knows what they are doing, extending durant and then Westbrook quick and quietly
    I wish people understood that this could not happen. I know there have been reports out there claiming that Russ was demanding more, but unfortunately those reports didn't understand the changes in the CBA.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Nice to see that OKC has two stars in their rein for the foreseeable future.
    But I wonder what the Thunder's cap look like now.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    That isn't possible under the CBA. Westbrook was only eligible for a 25% max contract, Durant was eligible for the 30% max.
    would westbrook have been eligible for 30% if he made it to the allstar game again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by KBryant24
    would westbrook have been eligible for 30% if he made it to the allstar game again this year?
    No, you have to be named an all star starter twice (there are other conditions as well) while on your rookie contract to get the 30% max

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

Banned

No, you have to be named an all star starter twice (there are other conditions as well) while on your rookie contract to get the 30% max
    There were 3 possible ways to get it...

You either had to become MVP

Make Allstar Starter twice

or Make the All NBA TEAM twice

The bolded was Westbrook's way to get in, all he had to do was make it one more time this year.

Your right, but for the wrong reason. Russ is in his 4th year so he's still in his rookie deal, so had he been an all-star this year he would have met the criteria to be eligible for a Derrick Rose rule deal.

However the problem is the CBA also states a team can only have one designated player, and the Thunder already have one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS

However the problem is the CBA also states a team can only have one designated player, and the Thunder already have one.
    It says that? Cause the only thing I saw with the Rose rule was that it was for Franchise Players, and I considered Westbrook a franchise player

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
    It says that? Cause the only thing I saw with the Rose rule was that it was for Franchise Players, and I considered Westbrook a franchise player

Only 1 per team.