Default Kobe's summer league game (1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE7iCJHscu4

You could see this dude already had all the skills West, Magic and other Laker greats (including Shaq) ranted and raved about. You just knew Kobe was gonna be a star.

Look at the footwork on defense ~1:02; his fundamentals even without college ball were on LOCK.

Default Re: Kobe's summer league game (1996)

I remember this footage. Very fluid, talented overall player.

I still think if he did go to college he would have became even more polished from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I remember this footage. Very fluid, talented overall player.

I still think if he did go to college he would have became even more polished from the start.
    Yeah, for sure.

Do you guys think being able to play more of a team game, as in taking better shots and running an offense (college basketball 101) would have made Kobe better? Like would his legacy be rated higher than it already is?

I ask that because to me part of what made Kobe so good was the poor shot selection and ability to hit those retarded, absurd shots.

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

And he was only 17. A year and half or more younger than almost all the guys playing in the summer league today.

shhhhhhh

great find, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Yeah, for sure.

Do you guys think being able to play more of a team game, as in taking better shots and running an offense (college basketball 101) would have made Kobe better? Like would his legacy be rated higher than it already is?

I ask that because to me part of what made Kobe so good was the poor shot selection and ability to hit those retarded, absurd shots.
    I think he would be a better player, but not sure how much better. There is the thing with Kobe having his problems with coaches but maybe a college coach (like coach K ?) would have kept him in check.

The improvements I could see his 3 point shot, more efficient overall, and more durable. A season or two in college, I can see Kobe getting the better conditioning needed to make the jjump to the pros, along with a less erratic game.

His legacy does depend on the organization he lands on and how much can Kobe do with the rosters they put around him. I can see him having better career numbers and accolades, but I don't know if he wins the same amount of titles, which seems to be a deciding point for most of the basketball community. He'd still win multiple titles IMO.

Banned

That D Fish dunk though...

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I think he would be a better player, but not sure how much better. There is the thing with Kobe having his problems with coaches but maybe a college coach (like coach K ?) would have kept him in check.

The improvements I could see his 3 point shot, more efficient overall, and more durable. A season or two in college, I can see Kobe getting the better conditioning needed to make the jjump to the pros, along with a less erratic game.

His legacy does depend on the organization he lands on and how much can Kobe do with the rosters they put around him. I can see him having better career numbers and accolades, but I don't know if he wins the same amount of titles, which seems to be a deciding point for most of the basketball community. He'd still win multiple titles IMO.
    Agree with most of this. I could evision Kobe becoming better for a stacked team with championship pedigree (could you imagine the headaches prevented if he involved Shaq just a little more?), but I could also see those 2006 and 2007 seasons being cheap knockoffs. When you think about it, a lot of those scoring outbursts came at a price - and that was freezing everybody the f*ck out and gunning like a maniac. It takes a long period of sustained habits for that stuff to REALLY kick in, so I'm not sure Kobe develops the "me first" extreme going to college.

Somebody like coach K as you mentioned would've really developed Kobe into a hybrid of what we saw in his prime. You'd get more of those 2008 MVP seasons no doubt, but the scoring bursts? Don't know. It's tough because in a way that's what made Kobe...Kobe.

Banned

Pretty ridiculous how skilled he was at such a young age. Just needed to build up an NBA body and he was good to go.

College has killed the alpha mindset

been watching summer league all week. no ones trying to take over the game, too much passing, getting into their offense

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    College has killed the alpha mindset

been watching summer league all week. no ones trying to take over the game, too much passing, getting into their offense
    That doesn't make a lick of sense. Guys used to stay in College much longer back then. These days it's all one and done.

There's just no transcendent talent in the draft. Few guys who will be good down the line and may be all stars, but no one anywhere near as talented/capable at Bean even at 17 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That doesn't make a lick of sense. Guys used to stay in College much longer back then. These days it's all one and done.

There's just no transcendent talent in the draft. Few guys who will be good down the line and may be all stars, but no one anywhere near as talented/capable at Bean even at 17 years old.
    How doesnt it make sense? Bean was straight iso, posting up, and running the break by himself

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    How doesnt it make sense?
    You said College killed the alpha mindset... when guys only stay there for a year... as opposed to an average of 3 years in the past.

Doesn't even begin to make any sense.

Bean was straight iso, posting up, and running the break by himself
    Because he was preternaturally skilled and polished at 17/18. He had ability. Most of the guys in the Summer League right now are still learning how to play basketball and are projects for the future. If they stayed 3 years or so in College ala Tim Duncan, they would be more NBA ready now... but they don't so they're not.