Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #1261
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
Not true at all, they agreed to a contract, it's been approved by the league, just because he is waiting to sign to allow Lakers cap space doesn't mean they can alter it at this time... it's a done deal

Contract agreements in the NBA are binding, if they weren't you'd have teams/players abusing the fact that pen had not been put to paper..

Imagine a player and team agreeing then another team being able to swoop in and steal the player because the contract had been agreed to but had not been signed or a team leveraging a player by announcing they had signed player X but he hadn't signed yet, then the player they really wanted comes in and signs a contract and player X is left out in the cold...

The reason they don't sign right away is because the cap hold on the player is less than the new contract.. the cap hold in place can because of Bird Rights, Early Bird Rights, qualifying offer or in the case of Randle and Clarkson because of the amount placed against the cap because they Lakers had their draft rights...

Since Randle was kind enough to play along with the FO and miss the first
Vegas summer league game the Lakers added 500K to his contract over the agreed amount... 500k for sitting out a summer league game is nice work if you can get it...lol
great stuff gts. Very informative. I learn more facts reading your posts than recycled news from some writers who actually get paid just prognosticating and copying other news.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #1262
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
Since everyone is talking trade maybe a list of who's available to be traded or when is helpful

Nash.. Anytime
Sacre.. Anytime
Randle.. August 15th (30 days from signing contract)
Young.. 30 days from signing contract (still unsigned)
Davis.. 30 days from signing contract (still unsigned)
Kelly.. 30 days from signing contract (still unsigned)
Hill.. January 15th 2015
Lin.. 2 months from date trade finalized
Clarkson, depends on contract

Players that cannot be traded
Kobe
Boozer
Henry
Wesley Johnson

That does change things in short-term. I guess Mitch&co will be waiting until February/march to make a trade bid for Love (If cavs don't get him before). If that falls through, they will make trade bids for other players around the league.

AFAIK, I think all of those players will be good tradeable assets except the last 4 you mentioned. Throw in future picks and cash considerations.

We fans just have to be patient until February when we can legit get our hands on Mitch&co

BTW - the salary ceiling is expected to go up $5-6 mill next summer, right? That will help quite a bit next summer. My hope is that we can get a Pau-type deal before trade deadline to build around. The $5-6 mill rise will help bring in another decent role-player next summer. We will be back to contention by end of next summer. Just my hope

Last edited by bladefd : Yesterday at 07:16 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #1263
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
BTW - the salary ceiling is expected to go up $5-6 mill next summer, right? That will help quite a bit next summer. My hope is that we can get a Pau-type deal before trade deadline to build around. The $5-6 mill rise will help bring in another decent role-player next summer. We will be back to contention by end of next summer. Just my hope

The guys that follow that stuff close are predicting moderate growth next season, 5 million might be pushing it maybe closer to 3

They say the big thing to watch will be league sponsors, there could be a rush to get in the door or renegotiate contracts before the new TV deal is negotiated which would or could ramp things up...

the big jump will come the following summers where it's expected to rise upwards of 10 million or higher when the new TV deals come online.. I read an article in Forbes where using standard growth numbers from the normal NBA indicators the league could see a cap in the range of 80 million within 2- 3 years if the TV deal is as big as they are assuming it will be

This is why Lebron signed a two year deal, his max this summer is quite a bit different than the max he'll see in two years with a higher cap and didn't want to be locked into a contract that will be undervalued in a couple years.

It's also why teams are willingly overpaying now on those 4 year deals for players they think will stick with the team. What's overpaying this year and next summer will be underpaying the following two years...

The Lakers themselves with Kobe coming off the books and all those other one and two year contracts could be looking at crazy cap room in two seasons where teams that are locking in guys on these overpaid 4 year deals won't be able to take full advantage of the new numbers.

Obviously when you have a team like the Lakers that are in the first year of a ground up rebuild they'll approach it differently than a team like the Heat or Rockets that is trying to just add pieces or the Knicks which is just scrambling to keep their head above water.

Lakers plan seems to be you want to try and lock in on players that you think you want long term, but keep everybody else on a short leash so you're not tied up financially with bad contracts when the flood gates open.

I like our kids this year, I like they'll have the minutes to play/develop and the fact that if they don't look like a guy you want we won't be stuck with them for 4 years... Other than missing on Melo they are in a good spot... promising young players and a crap load of financial flexibility the next two summers

next year you could be looking at roughly 20- 25 million in cap space (give or take) to play with and holy cow the following summer you could be looking at 60-70 million or so in cap room.. I don't expect either to be actually that high, that's assuming none of the kids pan out but still you can see the Lakers have maneuvered themselves in a very positive position at a time when the CBA has become so restrictive.

Last edited by gts : Yesterday at 08:47 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #1264
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
Hey guys does the fact that we STILL haven't signed a head coach worry y'all?!!

Not really... camp doesn't start for a couple months, i bet it's all in place they just need to get everyone in the same building... maybe dependent on the entire coaching staff being onboard? kind of like we want you as coach if you can bring this guy along type of thing? I don't know, certainly not worried about it.. Mitch said it wouldn't happen fast so obviously he knew something when he said it

Speaking of coaches see Coop has cancer? Wishing him all the best in his battle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I just read the latest posts and wanted to say those were great. That's the stuff that makes it worth while being in this forum. That's not opinionated stuff, it's just facts. Post more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
great stuff gts. Very informative. I learn more facts reading your posts than recycled news from some writers who actually get paid just prognosticating and copying other news.

Thanks guys.. I like this type of discussion too... much more fun to talk about the actual team, where it's headed and why it's being done that way than the rant a rave beat a dead horse to death talk that seems to have permeated Lakers talk in general.

Last edited by gts : Yesterday at 09:03 PM.
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #1265
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
That does change things in short-term. I guess Mitch&co will be waiting until February/march to make a trade bid for Love (If cavs don't get him before). If that falls through, they will make trade bids for other players around the league.

AFAIK, I think all of those players will be good tradeable assets except the last 4 you mentioned. Throw in future picks and cash considerations.

We fans just have to be patient until February when we can legit get our hands on Mitch&co

i hope the lakers don't make any trade offers for love. specially after Howard leaving us high and dry.

what we need love for in Feb? for 2 months? better wait and try to get him in july and keep our assets
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #1266
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

I like our kids this year, I like they'll have the minutes to play/develop and the fact that if they don't look like a guy you want we won't be stuck with them for 4 years... Other than missing on Melo they are in a good spot... promising young players and a crap load of financial flexibility the next two summers

next year you could be looking at roughly 20- 25 million in cap space (give or take) to play with and holy cow the following summer you could be looking at 60-70 million or so in cap room.. I don't expect either to be actually that high, that's assuming none of the kids pan out but still you can see the Lakers have maneuvered themselves in a very positive position at a time when the CBA has become so restrictive.

Any particular player who really impressed you?
For me Jordan Clarkson looked pretty good. I know it's just the SPL but he seems like he can really shoot and at the same time attack and finish. I think one writer compared him to George Hill. He is listed at 6-5 but I think he is a couple of inches shorter.
Trey Thompkins look decent but Im not sure if the Lakers would even sign him and I think they need another big.
Do you know why Ryan Kelly didn't even play one game. I felt, he needed that exposure and confidence. Yes, Im aware he just officially signed yesterday but Wiggins played and he hasn't signed.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 PM   #1267
gts
Sons of Antartica

I like Ryan Kelly... His coming back is one of my favorite moves this summer

As far as Clarkson and Randle go they look good but it's so hard to tell against summer league play, but they both looked good... Randle looked like a man among boys out there that's for sure and he is much better with the ball in hand making decisions than I had thought he'd be from some reports.

Most of what I liked from both of them was they competed, you could see both guys battling like the games mattered and that's a good sign...

I don't know the numbers but it's got to be something like 90% of the guys won't even be on an NBA team when camp starts... Plus you never know if the teams are trying to win or they just want to see their two or three guys on the squad in action..
Old Today, 03:22 PM   #1268
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

I don't know the numbers but it's got to be something like 90% of the guys won't even be on an NBA team when camp starts... Plus you never know if the teams are trying to win or they just want to see their two or three guys on the squad in action..

Yeah, that's why I don't put too much thought into the summer league. Most of the D-League players who play summer league say the D-League is way more competition, which I would believe. Plus there's always guys who dominate the summer league who suck in the regular season and guys who suck in summer league who turn out to be really good players. It's interesting to watch because it's all we have in the summer and we want to see the new rookies for our teams but it's hard to take serious.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: