Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: Source: Ariza agrees to sign with the Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    I was joking before. That's why I was laughing cause you took me seriously.
    i knew you were joking...lol

when the lakers were playing the rockets in the playoffs they had morey on here in La on a couple radio shows for interviews.. i liked the guy, seems like he has a good outlook on the game, personable and knows his stuff. i think the rockets are in good hands...

Default Re: Trevor Ariza to sign with the Rockets

The Lakers front office isnt going to buy into any of a players agents fake outrage over contract offers at the beginning of negotiations. We know because of what Ariza signed for with the rockets that his true contract figure was only /gasp the MLE for 5 years.

If a 24 yr old experienced starter who made clutch plays in the playoffs and helped his team win a title, plays decent defence, and put up ok numbers as a 5th option is going to give you 5 years for MLE money you take it and say thank you for the discount. Even if it doesnt work the way you want at the worst years from now the guy can still come off the bench for 15 minutes a game. A team could do worse and alot of them do for that amount of money.

Instead the Lakers saw an opportunity to sign Artest after he got rejected by the Rockets so they paniced and pounced on him before he could sign with a rival. You dont replace a cheap young proven starter with a 30+ ring chasing has been who may or may not fit into your system, and may or may not cause locker room and chemistry problems, and may or may not end up warming the bench like Iverson a week into free agency if you dont have to.
    Last edited by RoTM; 07-03-2009 at 03:18 AM.

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown101
    Did the Lakers say they wanted artest first or did he say he wanted to join LA first cause if artest said it I wouldnt call Lakers tthe best front office ever cause what team would say no if artest came up to them sand said he will play on their team for a FA
    What?

~~~

Strange how this panned out but much love for trev. Hope he gets all the min's he wants @ huston

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by RoTM
    The Lakers front office isnt going to buy into any of a players agents fake outrage over contract offers at the beginning of negotiations. We know because of what Ariza signed for with the rockets that his true contract figure was only /gasp the MLE for 5 years.

If a 24 yr old experienced starter who made clutch plays in the playoffs and helped his team win a title, plays decent defence, and put up ok numbers as a 5th option is going to give you 5 years for MLE money you take it and say thank you for the discount. Even if it doesnt work the way you want at the worst years from now the guy can still come off the bench for 15 minutes a game. A team could do worse and alot of them do for that amount of money.

Instead the Lakers saw an opportunity to sign Artest after he got rejected by the Rockets so they paniced and pounced on him before he could sign with a rival. You dont replace a cheap young proven starter with a 30+ ring chasing has been who may or may not fit into your system, and may or may not cause locker room and chemistry problems, and may or may not end up warming the bench like Iverson a week into free agency if you dont have to.
    You are exactly the first person I have read spinning this as a bad move for the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Torious
    The contract will obviously start at that amount, but if they gave him the max raise per year (10%) it will average out at about 6.6 mill per year.

I want to thank Ariza for an awesome year wish him nothing but luck in Houston, but it was the correct choice not to offer more then the MLE.
    It's pretty obvious that the Lakers did the right thing by not offering Ariza more than the MLE.....he agreed to go to the rockets for practically the same offer. His manger obviously screwed up his life....5 years of going no where compared to 5 years with championship contenders

Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    It's pretty obvious that the Lakers did the right thing by not offering Ariza more than the MLE.....he agreed to go to the rockets for practically the same offer. His manger obviously screwed up his life....5 years of going no where compared to 5 years with championship contenders
    He's 24, even after his contract ends he's going to be 29, and that's still plenty of time to win a championship. I think right now, since he's already got a chip, Ariza is more concerned about building up his career into a star. Right now he's seen as a good, athletic role player, and it makes sense to go to a team that is missing precisely that and, with a few right moves, still hang around in the playoffs.

High School Starter LutherHeadJob's Avatar

/Facepalm

I rule the local playground

No-one "screwed up his life" Ariza had the choice between 5 years with the Rockets or a riskier short term deal with the Lakers. Choosing a still very profitable long term deal is a very sensible choice for a guy who'll probably never be an all-star caliber player. Besides, he already has one ring, which is more then most NBA players can show. As far as I can tell, Ariza made the right choice for himself (and his family?), even if I wanted to see him back next year.

Decent playground baller

No-one "screwed up his life" Ariza had the choice between 5 years with the Rockets or a riskier short term deal with the Lakers. Choosing a still very profitable long term deal is a very sensible choice for a guy who'll probably never be an all-star caliber player. Besides, he already has one ring, which is more then most NBA players can show. As far as I can tell, Ariza made the right choice for himself (and his family?), even if I wanted to see him back next year.
    Exactly. Why are Lakers fans so angry at his agent? If Ariza truly will be worth more than ~$8 mil of so he'll be making in 4-5 years, you'd be crying right now for letting this guy go. The fact that the Lakers find Artest an upgrade over him shows how much they feel about Ariza's potential, or lack thereof.
    Last edited by meh; 07-03-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Kobe is the assassin KobeRules24's Avatar

Thanks for everything trevor!!!! at least he didn't sign with the cavs lebron gets screwed again

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by meh
    Exactly. Why are Lakers fans so angry at his agent?
    Because he's a jackass. His "negotiation skills" seem to be limited to running to the media and whine like a *****, that this and that is unacceptable. He's all about threats and ultimatums.

Most laker fans still begrudge him the entire Bynum contract crap. Yes, he's Bynums agent as well.

Decent playground baller

Because he's a jackass. His "negotiation skills" seem to be limited to running to the media and whine like a *****, that this and that is unacceptable. He's all about threats and ultimatums.

Most laker fans still begrudge him the entire Bynum contract crap. Yes, he's Bynums agent as well.
    Regardless of "how" he negotiates, in the end didn't he get things done? Bynum got a huge deal. Ariza got the most one can expect in his situation. 5 years guaranteed is pretty good in today's economy.

Seems to me this agent isn't stupid at all, and accomplishes what he's suppose to do.

Well, according to his agent, it wasn't all about the money but going somewhere Ariza felt "appreciated".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPFU18IDCG.DTL
    "I had to do what was best for me and family," Ariza told the Los Angeles Times. "I am happy with my decision. I'm glad this all worked out. The Rockets are going to give me a chance to improve my game and that's all you can ask for."

Ariza's agent, David Lee, said the 24-year-old forward passed up a more lucrative contract offer from another team with salary-cap space. "We decided to go with Houston anyway," Lee said. "It was never about the money. It was about going someplace where you felt appreciated."

I am really excited about adding Trevor to our team. I think Rick Adelman has big plans for the kid and how to incorporate him into our offense. He actually went with Morey to convince Trevor to come play for the Rockets. I'm sure the motion offense will work well with Trevor considering that he came from playing the Triangle. I don't doubt that Trevor will find many opportunities with the Rockets and perhaps an even better player. Personally I don't think he has reached his ceiling which is what makes me really excited to have him in Houston.

Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    I am really excited about adding Trevor to our team. I think Rick Adelman has big plans for the kid and how to incorporate him into our offense. He actually went with Morey to convince Trevor to come play for the Rockets. I'm sure the motion offense will work well with Trevor considering that he came from playing the Triangle. I don't doubt that Trevor will find many opportunities with the Rockets and perhaps an even better player. Personally I don't think he has reached his ceiling which is what makes me really excited to have him in Houston.
    So what does he play for the Rockets? SF or SG? Do you bring him off the bench or does he start in the place of Battier.