Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
DaBull
I brick open layups

DaBull has an OK reputation so far
Default Advice to Bobcats : Go after Gasol

8. Charlotte Bobcats
I'd love to see them pursue Gasol (with the No. 8, the No. 22 and May), re-sign Gerald Wallace and compete with a nucleus of Gasol, Wallace, Ray Felton, Emeka Okafor, Walter Hermann, Adam Morrison and one more free agent swingman like Mo Peterson or Desmond Mason. If they keep the pick, don't they have to take Joakim Noah here? He fits in the "guys who had success in college" theme and gives them a ton of flexibility at the 4/5 spots, right? Whatever they do, I feel like the Bobcats are closer to being good than people realize ... plus, they're the ultimate fantasy team sprung to life, just an ultra-eclectic, improbable mix of recognizable players. If there was ever a franchise that could accommodate a Paul Shirley comeback, this is it.

The VP's verdict: Make a serious run at Gasol, with Noah as the backup plan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070620

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever : 06-20-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Fixed Dead Link
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Felton in '08
Kids at the park dunk on me

Felton in '08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Advice to Bobcats : Go after Gasol

I love it. I've never been a big May fan and we don't need to get younger. I think the real key is a free agent 2 how can defend. Not sure MoPete is that guy though.

I'm stoked about this draft. I really think something interesting is going to happen for the Bobcats. Or perhaps that just what I tell myself since I am cutting my season ticket check this week.
Felton in '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I'd love to get Gasol on this team, too bad we're probably not his top destination wish. He wants a team that is successful or is willing to give HIM the pieces to succeed. Sure we've got the pieces, but not championship material.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

No matter how you cut there are only about 2 or 3 teams in the NBA that are championship material, and all 3 of them are in the western conference with the Suns Mavs and Spurs. There is no way that Gasol gets traded to either one of those teams. If Gasol truly wanted to win he would come to Charlotte where we have the most talented young nucleus in the league.

Felton
Brewer
Wallace
Gasol
Okafor

Could you imagine the madness that would occur?
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here

I love this idea. May is never going to be healthy for even half of an NBA season and Gasol is versatile in so many ways. Do it MJ!!!
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
UNCrules2187
Can barely lace up my sneakers

UNCrules2187 has an OK reputation so far

If we get Gasol there's no way we'd land Brewer considering we wouldn't have a lottery pick anymore.
UNCrules2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCrules2187
If we get Gasol there's no way we'd land Brewer considering we wouldn't have a lottery pick anymore.

Duh.........lol
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

I know this.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Who said we'd have to trade before the draft?

I mean trading the 8th pick is only sensible if all the big men we want and Brewer are already taken, then yeah let's trade the pick. We're also probably not going to get much with the 22nd pick either.

Gasol

for

22nd, 2008 first rounder, May, and Alan Anderson

big steal.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Sure its a big steal, but would also be a big embarassment after the Memphis executives laughed at us all the way to Nashville. When Memphis and Chicago were talking trade earlier in the season Memphis was asking for Gordon,Deng and/or Thomas.

A couple draft picks and a filler isnt going to do it, basically going to have to break our core up.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

(First time poster but hoping to post a lot more)

Anyways, I saw this on ESPN and loved it. Gasol is the perfect answer for the Bobcats. I wouldn't count out the Gasol for #8, #22, and May (and possibly BK or JMc). That trade would give Memphis a lot of flexibility in the draft. They could end up taking Conley (#4) and Noah, Yi, Hawes, etc... (#8) to replace Gasol. They already have a young core in Gay, Miller and Warrick and getting younger isn't a bad idea in that situation, they would also get a veteran PG in BK.

They could also use the #22 to pick up another quality utility talent like Jared Dudley, Gabe Pruitt, Morris Almond, Sean Williams, etc...

They would also get May who, when healthy, has been able to produce.

I think the idea behind moving Gasol is for 2 reasons. 1) he doesn't want to be on the worst team in the league anymore and 2) he is only going to get more expensive in the near future. The Bobcats haven't won anything yet but we definately have the core to do so and Gasol could definately lead us there. We also have the cap space to pay him when necessary, if Bob and MJ will open up their fat wallets.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: