Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: is Usain Bolt a top 5 athlete of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Fastest man on earth with mad swag, Usain Bolt is surely the most influential too. I have never seen any other runner be talked about so much.
    Johnson had just much or more coverage and I imagine Lewis was greater than both.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Yes... Many times.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/13/ob...t-is-dead.html

Pretty well known within boxing circles. He didn't have to call him the best, btw... It is universally acknowledged by those who know the sport.
    Point is that he didn't actually call him the greatest, but that he was the idol of "the greatest". The greatest in Ali's opinion is himself, but it should also be noted that Muhammed doesn't believe you can compare different era's.

Yes, I know Sugar Ray was voted best pound for pound fighter and all that. I also own that book they are talking about. But I was really doubting that Muhammed actually called him the greatest, and he didn't. But I get your point anyway.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Point is that he didn't actually call him the greatest, but that he was the idol of "the greatest". The greatest in Ali's opinion is himself, but it should also be noted that Muhammed doesn't believe you can compare different era's.

Yes, I know Sugar Ray was voted best pound for pound fighter and all that. I also own that book they are talking about. But I was really doubting that Muhammed actually called him the greatest, and he didn't. But I get your point anyway.
    I've actually seen a clip in a documentary put together about the greats of boxing history wherein Ali flatly says that Robinson is the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all-time.

I'll try to find it... Not sure if it is available on YT or not.

Banned

I've actually seen a clip in a documentary put together about the greats of boxing history wherein Ali flatly says that Robinson is the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all-time.

I'll try to find it... Not sure if it is available on YT or not.
    Okay, if you remember cool. If it's too big of a pain, don't worry about it. I suppose it's not really that important. I think he said Mike Tyson would have beat him up or something too, on the Arsenio Hall show, but I thought he might have just been trying to be entertaining and respectful. So who knows.
    Last edited by Chalkmaze; 08-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

bradman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_...ricket_context

i'm not even a fan, but the guy is up there.

If it is strictly based on how great the athlete was and you want to include boxing, Sugar Ray Robinson is your man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLWBVpL23k (seriously.... watch this video. It is SRR in HD)

Even Ali called him "The Greatest."
    Pound for pound SRR is clearly greater. Overall though, Ali was clearly the better boxer.

Ali would fu[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR] SRR up in a boxing match.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Pound for pound SRR is clearly greater. Overall though, Ali was clearly the better boxer.

And Lennox Lewis would have killed Ali. Honestly wlad klitschko would probably be favored over ali(though I think Ali would win)

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

That is a crazy way to judge a boxer, though. Overall, Gerry Cooney would probably mess SRR up in an actual boxing match, because he was seven inches taller and 100 pounds bigger. Does that mean Cooney>>>SRR?

Doesn't work that way.

And, even if we are looking at it that way, I have both Jack Johnson and Joe Louis above Ali in terms of heavyweights.

He was a fantastic fighter, but this is a very old sport with an incredible history of greats.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    If you translate cricket stats into baseball, it will makes Ted Williams look like a bush league player.

Still, Bolt has one and a half foot in GOAT status right now. The next Olympics will secure him into that.
    wouldn't he still be in the 3rd standard deviation?

Dunking on everybody in the park Unstoppabull's Avatar

Who cares when you are known as the world's fastest man?

If it's top 5 athlete, then who gives a shit if they're not known world wide? It's not top 5 most popular/well known athlete. In any case, there's going to be various differing opinions as to what criteria to use, and for mine, he's not close. All he does is run fast for short distances. Impressive? Yes. One of the top athletes? No. It's just way too limited. If we're talking Olympics, then why not decathletes? Their scope isn't as limited as Bolt's is.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

And, even if we are looking at it that way, I have both Jack Johnson and Joe Louis above Ali in terms of heavyweights.

He was a fantastic fighter, but this is a very old sport with an incredible history of greats.
    Prime Mike Tyson wouldve shattered Jack Johnson's jaw.

I would put Kelly Slater who has dominated Surfing competitions for nearly 20 years in that same category with Jordan, Pele, Ruth Gretzy, Phelps and Federer

he's impressively fast but come on .. it's two races .. much easier to concentrate and focus completely on and train for two short races .. two short events and he's done .. phelps is much more impressive in my opinion and if you wanna talk about shattering records then don't .. because you'll lose badly comparing bolt to phelps ..

but both those guys would be begging this guy for mercy:

^^ 6 Ironman World Championships in 7 years .. 5 in a row .. you wanna talk about athletes ? .. this guy would make bolt his bitch .. hell, any triathlete would
    Last edited by dude77; 08-12-2012 at 02:24 AM.

I saw somebody mention Tiger Woods... Yea I don't think he really counts because Golf is more of a skill. I think you have to be involved in a sport where athleticism is a real advantage (to go along with skill).