Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: New telescope is going to revolutionize what we know about our universe

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    And how much does it cost? It costs close to $10000 per pound to put an object in space and to bring it back. Once against cost prohibitive.
    A lot of money, in fact, it's taking multiple billionaires to finance it. Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, Ram Shriram, and Ross Perot, Jr. to name a few, but the cost pays for itself when they grab the resources. In space, a single platinum-rich 500 meter wide asteroid contains about 174 times the yearly world output of platinum. That's a lot of money.

And really, I'm all for this idea based on humanitarian reasons: what is the sole cause of most of the wars today.

A lack of resources. Swimming in the ocean looking for glowfishies isn't going to solve this problem.

코비=GOAT

Default Re: New telescope is going to revolutionize what we know about our universe

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    A lot of money, in fact, it's taking multiple billionaires to finance it. Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, Ram Shriram, and Ross Perot, Jr. to name a few, but the cost pays for itself when they grab the resources. In space, a single platinum-rich 500 meter wide asteroid contains about 174 times the yearly world output of platinum. That's a lot of money.

And really, I'm all for this idea based on humanitarian reasons: what is the sole cause of most of the wars today.

A lack of resources. Swimming in the ocean looking for glowfishies isn't going to solve this problem.
    lol every single post you just make yourself look more stupid. It's ****ing hilarious.

Hume>Kunt.

IamRambo is a genius. New hope of space exploration.

lol every single post you just make yourself look more stupid. It's ****ing hilarious.
    Hey I'm just trying to be a bit forward thinking. All you are wanting to do is swim nude in the ocean looking for exotic fishies.

Hume>Kunt.

Yea, you are saying you would rather swim in the ocean with Willy than go to the stars. What is so special about the ocean except a bunch of glowing fishes anyway. Exploring space is much more evolutionary; if we understand the universe, we can travel, colonize it for resources, and quite possibly, make contact.

Look at how much money we spend on war. Imagine if we use half of that so the Bushies can go to asteroids or other planets to get their oil instead of bombing other nations for it. Just seems like logical sense to me space should be the next step in our evolution.
    All we have to do is imagine and understand space, **** the physical and chemical limitations in our technology. Imagination is key.

There is nothing in that article that refutes or even suggests there is a contradiction to the evidence that supports the big bang theory.
    I don't even think you know what the big bang is other than what is happening in your pants when you saw the shower scene in American History X.

Hume>Kunt.

Iamrambo how do you know so much without reading stupid facts and not going into our stupid school system? Are you some type of idiot savant? Like those geniuses with down syndrome?

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

The largest ground telescope.

Cool. Hope they find some good stuff. I don't expect mind bending information from it, but I'm sure good stuff will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jello
    Iamrambo how do you know so much without reading stupid facts and not going into our stupid school system? Are you some type of idiot savant? Like those geniuses with down syndrome?
    Philosophy.

It teaches you how to think. Education only tells you what to think, and if you are lucky to get a good one in the ivy leagues, it'll expand your knowledge based on rote memorization. With a philosophical mind, you can discern what is true or not based on systems of logic devised by Aristotle, Locke, Hume, Kant, etc.

Most people are smarter than they really are, but they can't seem to think on their own because they truly believe knowledge is through memorizing what someone else says and reiterating it like a parrot.

Hume>Kunt.

Philosophy.

It teaches you how to think. Education only tells you what to think, and if you are lucky to get a good one in the ivy leagues, it'll expand your knowledge based on rote memorization. With a philosophical mind, you can discern what is true or not based on systems of logic devised by Aristotle, Locke, Hume, Kant, etc.

Most people are smarter than they really are, but they can't seem to think on their own because they truly believe knowledge is through memorizing what someone else says and reiterating it like a parrot.
    Wait so you can use philosophy to determine if space colonization is even possible or cost efficient? You must have down syndrome, no lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jello
    Wait so you can use philosophy to determine if space colonization is even possible or cost efficient? You must have down syndrome, no lie.
    Of course space colonization is possible. We are putting launching bases on the moon and we already have a couple of robots surveying Mars getting ready for a mission. It just makes sense eventually space colonization will happen sooner or later. We put bases on the moon, use that as a launch pad to Mars, colonize that, move on to Jupiter, then to saturn, etc. It has to be a domino effect.

This is already being talked about by theoretical physicists like Kaku, which are the same thing as theoretical philosophers.

Banned

we shud colon the artic. we cud build apartments outta ice n build ice slides for ice travel and other ice shit. possibly an ice community college for our scholars. we could domestitize penguins so they cud fly round and deliver messages like those bird things in harry potter.

with the power of imaginations anythings possible!11111

Do you even try to comprehend my post? Why would we focus efforts on something that might be literally impossible? I'm not sure you understand how much energy, resources, and jumps in technology we would need to colonize space.
    100 years ago it was assumed going to the moon would be litterally impossible.

use your head.

Wasn't there an article posted here a while ago about how Google is investing all kinds of money for R&D to eventually mine asteroids and satellites and such? Technology is advancing at an exponential rate and concepts that seem beyond us now, will quickly become reality in the near future...

It's really fascinating and I am somewhat bitter that I was born at the beginning of this technological boom, imagine 200 years from now where we will be in the health field, communication field, space exploration, etc etc....we might be the last middle class humans to live under an avrg of 100years

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Wasn't there an article posted here a while ago about how Google is investing all kinds of money for R&D to eventually mine asteroids and satellites and such? Technology is advancing at an exponential rate and concepts that seem beyond us now, will quickly become reality in the near future...

It's really fascinating and I am somewhat bitter that I was born at the beginning of this technological boom, imagine 200 years from now where we will be in the health field, communication field, space exploration, etc etc....we might be the last middle class humans to live under an avrg of 100years
    yeah in 200 years I am confident that humans will have conquered the aging process...it WILL happen sooner or later...only thing that could prevent it is a nuclear holocaust or something

infact I still have hope that it will happen in my lifetime...say 30-40 years from now